Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 14, 2007, 03:56   #1
katkt
Rookie

katkt is on a distinguished road
Cannot initialize graphics

I have an intel mac running OS 10.4.9 and I've recently upgraded from Angband 3.0.1 to 3.0.7s3. I like the changes, except the graphics and sound no longer work for me.

If I turn the sound on, nothing happens.

If I try to select any appearance other than "ascii graphics", I get an error, "Cannot initialize graphics!"

I tried downloading 3.0.6, and graphics and sound work fine for me in that version. I see on the downloads page that there are extra sound and graphics files for the mac, but they're supposed to be installed in "lib/xtra/graf", and with version 3.0.6 and 3.0.7, I see no lib directory.

I tried creating lib/xtra/graf in various places, but none of them worked. I tried adding lib/xtra/graf in the same directory as the angband app (the 3.0.1 location), in /Preferences/Angband (which is where the /save directory is), and then I tried just putting xtra/graf in the /Preferences/Angband directory (since that seems to correspond to the old lib directory). In all those cases, I put the extra files in the directory, but Angband still made no sound and gave me a Cannot initialize graphics! error when I tried to specify any graphics.

Help! Any idea what I need to do to get the graphics and sound working in 3.0.7? I miss them.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007, 08:48   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
I tried creating lib/xtra/graf in various places, but none of them worked. I tried adding lib/xtra/graf in the same directory as the angband app (the 3.0.1 location), in /Preferences/Angband (which is where the /save directory is), and then I tried just putting xtra/graf in the /Preferences/Angband directory (since that seems to correspond to the old lib directory). In all those cases, I put the extra files in the directory, but Angband still made no sound and gave me a Cannot initialize graphics! error when I tried to specify any graphics.
Try inside the application's bundle/folder, Contents/Resources/lib/.
Old June 14, 2007, 23:05   #3
katkt
Rookie

katkt is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. I tried putting Contents/Resources/lib/xtra/graf (and just Contents/Resources/lib) in a couple places and that didn't work either. I think you had in mind that I would have to actually include them as part of the application bundle - but to do that I would have to download the source and compile. I was hoping to avoid that, since I'm not familiar with it (particularly the whole "including things as part of the application bundle" part). I may give it a try if I get a chance over the weekend.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote