AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 10, 2007, 03:41   #21
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Just received an email from Randy giving his permission. Just waiting for Chris now.
Excellent.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007, 12:40   #22
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Down the track it would be nice to have the WinCE port (preferably an updated one bsaed on Si Griffin's FA port) brought into the main codebase. If so, I believe the only person whose approval is needed for GPL status is Frank Galligan (aka Bolt Vanderhuge). I've tried to contact him a couple of times with no luck - maybe someone closer could have a go. Here are a couple of leads:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/332/267
http://www.macreport.net/featured/ONT/management.asp
Old July 6, 2007, 09:02   #23
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

Any news from Chris Ang and Peter Berger regarding GPL?
Is there anything we can do to speed up the process?
Old July 6, 2007, 15:54   #24
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJNyfalt View Post
Any news from Chris Ang and Peter Berger regarding GPL?
Is there anything we can do to speed up the process?
Nothing from either. I checked through the 2.5 sources to see if any of Peter's code is still used; it isn't. I also believe none of Chris Ang's code actually remains. So I believe the only person left is Prfnoff, and I'm working on getting his permission but nothing just yet.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2007, 06:39   #25
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

Quote:
Nothing from either. I checked through the 2.5 sources to see if any of Peter's code is still used; it isn't. I also believe none of Chris Ang's code actually remains. So I believe the only person left is Prfnoff, and I'm working on getting his permission but nothing just yet.
What about Sangband and code from Peter and Chris? Is any of their code in use? Where can I find 2.5 sources? Is their contributions clearly marked?
Old July 7, 2007, 14:02   #26
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
What about Sangband and code from Peter and Chris? Is any of their code in use? Where can I find 2.5 sources? Is their contributions clearly marked?
In order: I doubt it; http://ajps.mine.nu/~takkaria/old.tar.gz has 2.5.0, 2.5.8, and 2.6.1; no.

From the changelogs, Peter Berger contributed Linux support (so check for #ifdef LINUX). Ben rewrote all his code. Similarly for everything Chris Ang is credited with (HPUX support, artifact/unique knowledge screens -- since rewritten by Eytan, equippy chars -- which Ben removed).
Old July 7, 2007, 19:01   #27
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

Quote:
From the changelogs, Peter Berger contributed Linux support (so check for #ifdef LINUX). Ben rewrote all his code. Similarly for everything Chris Ang is credited with (HPUX support, artifact/unique knowledge screens -- since rewritten by Eytan, equippy chars -- which Ben removed).
This starts to sound good, with a few exceptions. Maybe I can soon start my own variant.
- Linux & HP-UX: Should be no problem, all system dependent stuff for Unix machines has been removed. Makefile.std might have something left, so it's best we clean it up.
- Knowledge: Yes, that's the new version.
- Equippy chars: This might be a problem. Aren't they the characters shown between gold and strength on the left panel in Sangband?

Other than that, didn't you mention somewhere that Peter Berger had something to do with the signal handling code? Was that false alarm?
Old July 7, 2007, 19:25   #28
takkaria
Veteran

Quote:
This starts to sound good, with a few exceptions. Maybe I can soon start my own variant.
- Linux & HP-UX: Should be no problem, all system dependent stuff for Unix machines has been removed. Makefile.std might have something left, so it's best we clean it up.
- Knowledge: Yes, that's the new version.
- Equippy chars: This might be a problem. Aren't they the characters shown between gold and strength on the left panel in Sangband?

Other than that, didn't you mention somewhere that Peter Berger had something to do with the signal handling code? Was that false alarm?
Makefile.std only came into existence when Ben made it. The system-dependent stuff for Unix machines that was put in after 2.6 is different from what was there before, anyway, so that's not an issue.

Equippy chars -- as I said, Ben removed them in his cleanups. After that, they've been put in, but using totally different code.
Old July 7, 2007, 21:56   #29
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

Thanks! That helps a lot. Hopefully Leon will be back soon.