Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 4, 2007, 16:43   #11
Daniel Fishman
Adept

Daniel Fishman is on a distinguished road
Though in ToME, which is what he's playing, ?TeleLevel is less useful than it ought to be as it doesn't work in Angband.
Daniel Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007, 02:12   #12
XVIITheStar
Rookie

XVIITheStar is on a distinguished road
I always carry 30~40 charges worth of staves of teleportation + a couple of potions of speed to run away
Matched with a word of recall it should allow to escape most situations
XVIITheStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 14:28   #13
Kav
Scout

Kav is on a distinguished road
I personally like Staves of Teleportation more than scrolls. I find the failure rate acceptable even for wars as I like to teleport early before my hit points get low. There is just no substitute for a teleportation means that can be activated while blind and or confused. I can't tell you how many Umberhulks my _T has saved me from in the early game. And I always prefer to carry more than 2, even if they are expensive early on. But to be honest I usually carry both _T and ?T plus ?PD if I'm a mele. You see I like to have multiple options I even carry both !CSW and !CCW even if all that crap does amount to short dungeon trips.
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 14:37   #14
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
But to be honest I usually carry both _T and ?T plus ?PD if I'm a mele. You see I like to have multiple options I even carry both !CSW and !CCW even if all that crap does amount to short dungeon trips.
It doesn't have to amount to short trips - just ditch !CSW, ?PD etc when need the space for treasure. You'll profit more from carrying extra treasure and replacing scrolls and potions than just greedily hanging onto them. Leaving spares in your home might make you feel more comfortable about doing this.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007, 15:55   #15
XVIITheStar
Rookie

XVIITheStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
I personally like Staves of Teleportation more than scrolls. I find the failure rate acceptable even for wars as I like to teleport early before my hit points get low. There is just no substitute for a teleportation means that can be activated while blind and or confused. I can't tell you how many Umberhulks my _T has saved me from in the early game. And I always prefer to carry more than 2, even if they are expensive early on. But to be honest I usually carry both _T and ?T plus ?PD if I'm a mele. You see I like to have multiple options I even carry both !CSW and !CCW even if all that crap does amount to short dungeon trips.
Same here, _T is my best option (I don't use ?T, uselessly expensive once you own 2 or 3 _T) but I also carry ?PD in case I get surrounded by a few monsters in a small room and !speed and !CCW and !CSW in case I have no more mana (I'm currently playing a life/crusade priest (heng) so I can use the healing spells from life magic)
Potions of speed can save your life in case you are chased by monsters and your recall doesn't seem to want to happen
XVIITheStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007, 00:06   #16
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XVIITheStar View Post
Potions of speed can save your life in case you are chased by monsters and your recall doesn't seem to want to happen
I usually find that drinking !spd earlier in a battle will give enough of a tactical advantage that I rarely need to teleport or recall at all; At least earlier in the game, anyway. Summoning is the main thing I do teleport away from, but !PD then !Spd can be greatly effective in turning the tables as well.

A good tip in a grinding fight is to try see ahead of time that you will likely start to get into trouble (not always possible, I know!) - a !spd at this point can save you the risk of uncertain teleporting and a heap of potions to boot.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote