Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2019, 10:30   #1
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
UI Proposal: target in monster mode by default

When you start targeting (with a launcher or with magic missile, for instance), the default mode is "direction": pressing a direction immediately fires in the given direction, whether there is a monster there or not. You have to press * to switch to monster targeting mode (select a nearby monster with the arrow keys, then confirm with t to fire), and p to switch to tile targeting mode (select an individual tile with the arrow keys, then confirm with t to fire).

My proposal is that the first mode you access is monster targeting mode, not direction. It seems to me that this would save keypresses on average, since in most cases shooting at a monster (the nearest one or the previous target) is what you want to do. I know that there are some cases when you want to shoot in a corridor even if you don't see what's there, but I think that they are less frequent (and anyway the targeting mode could default to direction mode as a fallback if there are no targetable monsters).

Currently, firing a spell at the nearest monster with a keyboard is quite tedious (m1a*t, and on a vanilla English keyboard * requires pressing shift). If it was changed to m1a<space>, for instance, I think it would be better). The <tab> default macro mitigates this problem for the case of launchers, but for spells it's still there.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 03:49   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
I think this is sensible. Any objections?
Old April 26, 2019, 12:36   #3
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think this is sensible. Any objections?
It would make targetted walking slightly more fiddly to implement.

(in cpb ; acts like a targetting command, so while ;4 etc are still the underlying keypress sequences for walking, ;*t walks toward nearest target, vastly improvimg QoL for bump attackers when keymapped)

not a serious objection.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 13:09   #4
Diego Gonzalez
Scout

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Another idea (non prioritary, from Diablo II). When you are browsing a book, give the option to set one of the F1-F12 keys to automatically cast that spell, adding the target nearest monster modifier if it is a bolt/beam/ball spell.

I find the keymap setup a little tediuos.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 17:59   #5
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
No objection, though it wouldn't change too much for me; I do almost all of that with keymaps anyway
(" m1a' " etc.) unless I need to manually target a ball into the middle of a pack or something.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 19:27   #6
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
No objection, though it wouldn't change too much for me; I do almost all of that with keymaps anyway
(" m1a' " etc.) unless I need to manually target a ball into the middle of a pack or something.
I prefer the way it is, but that's only because I feel I've mastered targeting (thank Rocketband for that). As for the keymap, for targeted type spells, I use for example "m1a5", which sends a magic missile at a targeted monster, and if I haven't yet selected a target it will ask me. I use "n" for repeat last action if I then want to continue hitting that same target, or use "h" to target nearest monster. However, I like the ability and option currently provided to very selectively determine my targets.

I also agree that using <space> bar for anything but clearing messages is a bad idea.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 19:40   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What inwe said. m1a5 is the right way to do targetting keymaps. One keystroke if you have a target, 2 or 3 if you don't
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 21:01   #8
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Any objections?
yes - i do not understand the question.

what's wrong with ' ? (i.e. target nearest?)

dont you 99% of the time want to target nearest? aren't the times where you do NOT want to target nearest so few and far between that you can be reasonably be expected to go to manual aiming ?
Old April 27, 2019, 00:21   #9
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

dont you 99% of the time want to target nearest? aren't the times where you do NOT want to target nearest so few and far between that you can be reasonably be expected to go to manual aiming ?
There are actually a lot of times I want to target something other than nearest, or fire when I don't have a visible target at all. Often it's more important to take out the death knight across the room before worrying about the hairy mold that's closer. I also recently killed a ring-wraith I wouldn't otherwise have been ready for because was blocked from moving into my line of sight (who knew uniques won't walk on lava?), but I could spam the wall next to him with orb of draining until the splash damage eventually killed him. Just for example.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 00:37   #10
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

TL;DR: Which of these actions do you do more often: target a specific monster, or aim in a cardinal direction? Then why should the first second be the default and the first one be hidden behind a keypress?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote