Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2019, 11:50   #31
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 90
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Tools included?

I find it ridiculous that picks are so heavy. I mean they should be significantly heavier (stronger) than shovels, but 18 lbs seems excessive. Can we reduce it to 15 lbs for a basic pick? Heavier picks should have some sort advantage to them that balances their weight cost.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 15:43   #32
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,796
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Honestly of all of the weird weights in the game, having heavy picks is something that actually makes sense. I don't know which of 15 or 18 pounds is more accurate, but somewhere in that range sounds about right. They aren't weapons, they're something that's meant to put a lot of force into a small area, which means plenty of mass driving behind a point.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 16:10   #33
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,995
wobbly is on a distinguished road
A modern light-weight pickaxe is about 5lbs, so I'd expect an old one to be around the 10lb mark. a heavier pickaxe isn't helping you, it's just tiring your arms out quicker everytime you lift it. As long as you have enough weight in the head for it to swing properly under it's own momentum it'll work.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 16:10   #34
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 90
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Honestly of all of the weird weights in the game, having heavy picks is something that actually makes sense. I don't know which of 15 or 18 pounds is more accurate, but somewhere in that range sounds about right. They aren't weapons, they're something that's meant to put a lot of force into a small area, which means plenty of mass driving behind a point.
My point with it was that picks are still an very early game item, useful for those that are looking for money. Having the heavy weight value on an object that isn't comparable to items (heavier weapons and armor) normally found at their level just puts more strain on player/game. I mean just reducing it from 18 to 15 would be a significant improvement. The early game would go a lot smoother, and faster.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 16:45   #35
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,796
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
A modern light-weight pickaxe is about 5lbs, so I'd expect an old one to be around the 10lb mark. a heavier pickaxe isn't helping you, it's just tiring your arms out quicker everytime you lift it. As long as you have enough weight in the head for it to swing properly under it's own momentum it'll work.
I'm trying to remember how heavy the (modern, with a plastic/fiberglass handle) mattock I have at home is. Not the same as a pickaxe, granted, but it should be pretty close in weight since you're basically just replacing an axehead with an adze. I'm pretty sure it's not five pounds, but you're right that it's probably not 15 either. So, fair enough!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 16:50   #36
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,274
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Mattocks are 5-7 pounds too. Sledges are 5-10 lbs.
10lbs is heavy, when it is out on a lever arm.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 17:01   #37
Sphara
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 163
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early? To lower the possibility of getting actually useful ego-weapon? Or encourage home stashing for later use? I don't wanna sound mean, it just feels that way.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 12:27   #38
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 90
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early? To lower the possibility of getting actually useful ego-weapon? Or encourage home stashing for later use? I don't wanna sound mean, it just feels that way.
I think those are for sturdy warrior classes.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 13:04   #39
Werbaer
Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 116
Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Lances.. Why do those start to appear so early?
In old days, before fractional blows, and maybe even before the current point character generation (autoroller, or old point based), having only one attack wasn't very uncommon for a low level ranger or paladin. Maul didn't exist back then, some other weapons had lower damage dice than they have now, and the (2d8) lance was the weapon which provided the biggest damage, if you were strong enough to use it. Myself, i prefered the (3d4) Katana for weight reasons.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 14:30   #40
Sphara
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 163
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
In old days, before fractional blows, and maybe even before the current point character generation (autoroller, or old point based), having only one attack wasn't very uncommon for a low level ranger or paladin. Maul didn't exist back then, some other weapons had lower damage dice than they have now, and the (2d8) lance was the weapon which provided the biggest damage, if you were strong enough to use it. Myself, i prefered the (3d4) Katana for weight reasons.
Yeah, I remember some of those times. 90's Angband number of blows was integer
I don't suppose if a weapon like lance (2d8, weighs 30 and starting depth 10) would be added now, if it didn't exist already. With this current weapon weight/blows system, a lance appearing on D10, is 99,9% useless. For sturdy warrior types especially, since it drops your blows at 1. I'm always secretly hoping a new found ego/arte lance would NOT have telepathy in it
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about weapon weights in Angband Dragget Vanilla 1 April 15, 2014 13:35
Weights of similar specification items darkdrone Sil 5 March 3, 2014 07:24
Angband 3.3.2 - anything else to fix? Magnate Vanilla 57 May 27, 2012 23:50
a fluke or an unfixed fix 3.1.2 yyrkoon Vanilla 11 February 20, 2010 00:20
Little (and quick-fix) 3.1.0 issues ClaytonAguiar Vanilla 7 June 23, 2009 02:43


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.