Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old September 12, 2014, 19:55   #1
aliethel
Rookie

aliethel is on a distinguished road
Question Complex Topic

Short question: Is anyone out there working on a touch-enabled version/variant?

Long bit: So, I was looking for something to play on my tablet, and I saw a game called "Dungeons of Slyrn" (or something like that), that looks to be a nethack clone/revamp.

I am not a developer, but I was excited to think about playing Angband on a tablet, and how to arrange the UI so that it would be easy/fun to play while sitting on the couch, without needing a full-sized keyboard.

One thing I'm planning on trying out is playing it in a single window with the on-screen keyboard popped up in the "thumb" configuration so I have easy access to the number pad.
aliethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014, 20:52   #2
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
Try POWDER, its a fun touchbased game. Its been awhile so I dont remember what devices its compatible with.

One thing to remember with it, is even if you have Stone to flesh, camping early dungeon levels STILL sucks because deeper monsters spawn. So unlike Sil's hard clock its got a soft clock, which can be tactically interesting because of different terrains and persistent dungeons.
Also it has a pantheon of deities you have to please, avoid, or suffer their wrath.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014, 23:47   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
You may be aware that Angband is currently undergoing a big code restructure. A big part of the reason for that is to split the interface out of the game core, so that the two can be worked on independently, or in fact so a motivated person could write a whole new interface.

So the answer is yes - in the long term, we are aiming for Angband to be playable on tablets. In the shorter term, there is an Android port; there are also some variants available for things like WinCE and the Nintendo DS. And (along with POWDER) a number of tablet-playable roguelikes (Pixel Dungeon and Hoplite spring to mind).
Old September 15, 2014, 17:53   #4
aliethel
Rookie

aliethel is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great responses!

I was dipping in and saw the effort to separate out the core and UI functions, and I really do laud the effort that's going to take!
aliethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014, 06:41   #5
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
The Brogue port is pretty good- it's already a somewhat paired down game so works well on a tablet.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014, 07:13   #6
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
You may be aware that Angband is currently undergoing a big code restructure. A big part of the reason for that is to split the interface out of the game core, so that the two can be worked on independently, or in fact so a motivated person could write a whole new interface.

So the answer is yes - in the long term, we are aiming for Angband to be playable on tablets. In the shorter term, there is an Android port; there are also some variants available for things like WinCE and the Nintendo DS. And (along with POWDER) a number of tablet-playable roguelikes (Pixel Dungeon and Hoplite spring to mind).
If you own an iOS device I recommend 868-HACK https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/868-...635749911?mt=8
Old October 12, 2014, 17:35   #7
ninmonkey
Rookie

ninmonkey is on a distinguished road
@Nick I'd be interested in at least experimenting a new UI on the PC or android.

What kind of separation would there be? Curious if I could for example make 'stinking cloud' show the damage radius as you move your cursor around (before target selection)
ninmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014, 22:06   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninmonkey View Post
What kind of separation would there be? Curious if I could for example make 'stinking cloud' show the damage radius as you move your cursor around (before target selection)
Basically any game data *could* be pushed out to the interface, and any game data that you can see (in spell browsing, for example) already *is* being pushed out. Well, actually, currently the separation between game and interface is still not complete, but that kind of sums up where we're heading.

Showing the area of effect is a nice idea - being able to do this sort of thing is exactly what we're aiming for.