Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 25, 2009, 08:52   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
In the works, I downloaded your files, added support in the ini file for tilesize.

Merry XMAS!!!!!
Wow, thanks, and I didn't get you anything. It looks like I have yet another project to half-heartedly persue .
Old December 31, 2009, 23:43   #12
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Mac version Hellband available, please test

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
Mac version?

OK, that was probably asking a bit much..

I'm not sure what you're going to be using essences for, but I would suggest a simpler system than Sangband; I can't remember exactly how many different types of essence there are, but it seems like enough to be unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure a streamlined system could be created with similar effects but less complexity.
Greetings, thanks to Pete Mack and some stealing from Angband, there is now a Mac version. See mac version on

http://hellband.net/downloads.html

T.
Old January 1, 2010, 00:09   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by konijn_ View Post
Greetings, thanks to Pete Mack and some stealing from Angband, there is now a Mac version. See mac version on
T.
Glad to hear it! There was a lot of effort (by Rowan and myself) put into getting OSX to (a) work well and (b) be easily portable.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010, 15:37   #14
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
As someone working on a variant, I was wondering what the current state of the art on the mac main file is. Do you still get 200 or so deprecation warnings on compilation like I do (with source derived from an older version of NPP)?

On a related note, on my own variant I am getting prompted for my admin password about half the time when I try to open a save file, and I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem on OS X with any Angband versions or variants. I imagine it is to do with compiling or running on Snow Leopard as it never used to happen to me.

Finally, I tried taking my work-in-progress to a friend's iMac and it would just crash on startup (before displaying a term), while it runs perfectly on my iMac and MacBook. Any ideas?
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010, 20:46   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
As someone working on a variant, I was wondering what the current state of the art on the mac main file is. Do you still get 200 or so deprecation warnings on compilation like I do (with source derived from an older version of NPP)?
No. You do get a few, but not hundreds. (The current model doesn't use quickdraw, but it does use some deprecated Carbon.)

Quote:
On a related note, on my own variant I am getting prompted for my admin password about half the time when I try to open a save file, and I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem on OS X with any Angband versions or variants. I imagine it is to do with compiling or running on Snow Leopard as it never used to happen to me.
Never tried snow leopard. You are on your own.

Quote:
Finally, I tried taking my work-in-progress to a friend's iMac and it would just crash on startup (before displaying a term), while it runs perfectly on my iMac and MacBook. Any ideas?
Are you sure you've linked the right libraries? If it runs on a development machine, but not an ordinary machine, this is a likely bet. However, I have seen cases where an executable compiled for 10.3.7 didn't work on 10.3.9.

Otherwise, without gdb, you are out of luck.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010, 23:44   #16
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Quote:

For the crash, are you sure you are reading /lib from within the app, maybe print the lib folder to console before you try to acces it.

For the savegames, I've had issues for a short while with this, make sure the save folder and above are properly chmodded, dont build the binary with sudo/su ?

Cheers,
T.
Old January 3, 2010, 19:42   #17
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Quote:

Ahah! I made headway with Hellband and got into the exact same mess like you I did not compile with -DUSE_PRIVATE_PATHS, so I did not get into the same trouble like you, but now I am since I realized it does suck somewhat for people to see player dumps the way things are without -DUSE_PRIVATE_PATHS.

Now, I see the password screen for Admin as well, if I refuse to enter password/username I see the following console error:

~/Library/angband/Hellband087/save
2010-01-03 14:31:41.797 Hellband[43719:903] The application with bundle ID net.hellband is running setugid(), which is not allowed.

And I googled for that, the only post I could remotely understand was this one :

http://blogs.sun.com/dns/entry/under...n_framework_on

Which seems to say I'm pretty much screwed, so for now until cleverer people give feedback, I am just going to drop the whole gid thing and see if that works..

T.
Old January 3, 2010, 20:02   #18
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am using Snow Leopard, and have had no such problems with FAangband (but it is the only *band I have run in SL) - moreover, that version was compiled on Leopard.

FA uses the V build system and OS X port (slightly hacked); I would recommend dealing with the pain of moving to that now
Old January 3, 2010, 20:23   #19
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I am using Snow Leopard, and have had no such problems with FAangband (but it is the only *band I have run in SL) - moreover, that version was compiled on Leopard.

FA uses the V build system and OS X port (slightly hacked); I would recommend dealing with the pain of moving to that now
;]

I fear you are right.. I want to muddle a little more around and then do what you suggest.

T.
Old January 25, 2010, 23:53   #20
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
A couple possible bugs (Spoilers ahead)

I was reading through the source code to decide what character I wanted to play, and I found some discrepancies among birth.c, files.c, and xtra1.c. In particular, calc_bonuses() from xtra1.c indicates that leprechauns get free action. However, the help text in birth.c doesn't mention this, and the player_flags() function in files.c implies that they don't get free action, but they do get the same traits as fae. V uses a memcpy in player_flags() to avoid having to duplicate code; that might be something worth considering.

Did you really intend to give Leprechauns ten more stealth than any other race? I'm not going to complain about starting off with Godlike stealth.

Also, the flavor text from birth.c indicates that you intended to give Gipsies see invisible (I assume that's what Second Sight means), but the code doesn't agree.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote