Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2010, 10:08   #1
stabbo
Scout
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
stabbo is on a distinguished road
Why is food needed?

I just lost my best character to starvation, in a really stupid way. The stores didn't have any identify scrolls and there weren't any staffs in the magic shop.

Usually what I do when this happens is just go down to 50', find a corridor, hold down shift key, and run back and forth. It usually works, but this time I happened to forget about eating beforehand.

A completely avoidable death, I admit. It does, however, make me question what the point of food is in the first place. I can see it being an interesting addition to an iron man game but in a normal one it's just an annoyance that brings nothing to the game.
stabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 11:11   #2
SaThaRiel
Adept
 
SaThaRiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 173
SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Have you ever read Lord of the rings? Food is an essential topic in the books.
Also it adds some more realism to the game. You need food - everyone needs it.
Elvish waybread also heals. You can gorge yourself. So its a base element for gameplay.

Your way of waiting for new items in the store is bad. First you should look at the disturbance options, they seem to be a bit "lax". Additionally why don't you go down to 50' and rest for 1000 steps? Much easier.
__________________
Proud candidate for the Angband Darwin Award!
SaThaRiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 11:26   #3
stabbo
Scout
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
stabbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaThaRiel View Post
Have you ever read Lord of the rings? Food is an essential topic in the books.
Also it adds some more realism to the game. You need food - everyone needs it.
Elvish waybread also heals. You can gorge yourself. So its a base element for gameplay.

Your way of waiting for new items in the store is bad. First you should look at the disturbance options, they seem to be a bit "lax". Additionally why don't you go down to 50' and rest for 1000 steps? Much easier.
But then if it's about realism, why not add drinking? Making resting mandatory? It seems strange to just have food.

The resting for a 1000 steps is a good idea though, thanks. As for waiting around, is there some way better to do it? I guess I could buy out the store but I don't always have the cash for that.
stabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 11:38   #4
SaThaRiel
Adept
 
SaThaRiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 173
SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbo View Post
But then if it's about realism, why not add drinking? Making resting mandatory? It seems strange to just have food.
I think, you have to see food as drinking and eating. At least i tend to do it. Otherwise you backpack gets too overloaded with the stuff to survive and you don't have any more space for the treasure

There will be better ideas for the store refilling. The best would be just to go down again and slay some more monsters
__________________
Proud candidate for the Angband Darwin Award!
SaThaRiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 12:24   #5
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaThaRiel View Post
I think, you have to see food as drinking and eating. At least i tend to do it. Otherwise you backpack gets too overloaded with the stuff to survive and you don't have any more space for the treasure

There will be better ideas for the store refilling. The best would be just to go down again and slay some more monsters
Food is flavor, gorge before you enter the dungeon. Combined with any food you may find, it should last you until you would naturally return to town. I never carry food, even without a spell handy. It's a non-issue for me.

My issue is, do we need healing potions to cause gorging? Should something designed to help you actually cause harm? I can see mushrooms and waybread, but potions? If healing potions do provide nourishment, why don't other potions? It's-Ill-logic-al.

If all potions provided nourishment you might not need to carry food, or could at the very least survive longer without it. It would benefit Ironman as well. I'm not normally one for making the game easier but this just makes sense.

During my recent battle with Morgoth, I was constantly gorged. Really annoying. Also, why doesn't increased speed cause increased food consumption. It's entirely logical for it to do so. Moving and performing every action at 2x or 3x or 4x speed should cause 2x or 3x or 4x food consumption, couple that with regeneration (increased consumption) and you've got something (as much as 8x), a blessing vs. Morgoth.
__________________
www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 14:36   #6
tigpup
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 94
tigpup is on a distinguished road
If food wasn't in the game, it would be amongst the first things many people would ask for. Personally, I'm in favour if more (rather than less) basic consumable management. I'd remove the satisfy hunger spell and force all classes to be concerned about food. Permanent light is not so bad as it's available to all. Dying of starvation is one of the more realistic ways of dying in a dungeon IMHO.
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 14:46   #7
stabbo
Scout
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
stabbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigpup View Post
If food wasn't in the game, it would be amongst the first things many people would ask for. Personally, I'm in favour if more (rather than less) basic consumable management. I'd remove the satisfy hunger spell and force all classes to be concerned about food. Permanent light is not so bad as it's available to all. Dying of starvation is one of the more realistic ways of dying in a dungeon IMHO.
But to be fair, realism isn't exactly a selling point of this game. It's set in Middle Earth. Most aspects of the game are completely unrealistic.

When you fire an arrow and there isn't anything to hit, it just drops at your feet.

You can adventure in a dank dirty dungeon without any means of cooking any food you find and yet will never become ill.

You never need to sleep.

Poison wears off within minutes, deep cuts heal equally as quickly and yet it takes quite a long time to recover health.
stabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 15:14   #8
tigpup
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 94
tigpup is on a distinguished road
Agreed: angband is a game, not a sim. My point remains; keep food. Starving to death at 50' whilst store-scumming should teach a valuable lesson. That lesson is not; remove food from the game.
tigpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 15:38   #9
kaypy
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 294
kaypy is on a distinguished road
As an aside:

Number of warnings before you need to waste 1 turn dealing with an empty light source: 8

Number of warnings before you pass out and get eaten by an embarrassingly lowly monster: 3. Including "You are no longer full"

Just sayin'...
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010, 15:43   #10
stabbo
Scout
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
stabbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigpup View Post
Agreed: angband is a game, not a sim. My point remains; keep food. Starving to death at 50' whilst store-scumming should teach a valuable lesson. That lesson is not; remove food from the game.
The fact that a character died is moot. The topic was started because I was curious as to why food is in the game in the first place. I'm well aware of the fact that the death was avoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypy View Post
As an aside:

Number of warnings before you need to waste 1 turn dealing with an empty light source: 8

Number of warnings before you pass out and get eaten by an embarrassingly lowly monster: 3. Including "You are no longer full"

Just sayin'...
Good point.
stabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
little help needed gonada Vanilla 7 August 26, 2009 11:42
feature request: remove food from stores Donald Jonker Vanilla 25 July 27, 2009 06:51
keypress_h needed? PaulBlay Development 2 April 22, 2009 15:01
Lack of food AR_chie Variants 10 October 7, 2008 07:40
Question relating to food steeg1234321 Vanilla 4 April 2, 2008 07:35


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.