Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 8, 2010, 00:56   #11
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
Meteor Swarm's usually available a lot earlier, too
It's only moderately useful given the failure rate and only 3 missiles before CL40. You might as well rift or do something else instead at CL39.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2010, 06:32   #12
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Meteor swarm is very efficient at CL40. The annoying thing is that when you kill you need to use a direction rather than targeting the monster, so that any extra meteors go past and do not destroy any drops.
Yep it is "good" like many other spells, for some reason though my personal feeling has sort of grown into that it has a "bad" sweetspot for fail%, lvl, et cetera ... Dunno why. Well I have an end game mage waiting for game completion, I think will look into meteor storm bit more, but with this mage for example it has been trumped by the stunning spells and fire/acid bolt/rift/chaos strike.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2010, 15:31   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
When you first get Meteor Strike, it's not very mana-efficient. Once you get to clvl 40, it is tied with Rift for most mana-efficient damage-dealer in Raal's. Rift's damage is more random, but it has better splash damage and doesn't destroy items, so mostly I used Meteor Strike when I was fighting in a room (where Rift's splash damage is harder to leverage) or if I didn't want to bounce my opponent away.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2010, 21:21   #14
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman

Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
I agree that Met Swarm's not terribly mana-efficient until you get the 4th missile, but it's still higher damage per round, which can easily be more important. The failure rate can be an issue...but to a large extent, that depends on your play style. For divers, it's more of an issue than for non-divers.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 01:02   #15
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
I agree that Met Swarm's not terribly mana-efficient until you get the 4th missile, but it's still higher damage per round
Rift has lower failure rate, more damage, better side effects, and more efficient than 3 meteors. Meteor swarm is very rarely the correct choice before the 4th missile.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2010, 17:53   #16
Northern
Rookie

Northern is on a distinguished road
I'm a newbie, but I've been playing a hobbit mage and enjoying the hell out of it. Once you gain a couple levels and start firing off stinking cloud at everything it starts to pick up.

I've also been wielding a bow and picking off things with it. To me it feels like playing a mage or the like adds variety, although who doesn't love smashing things over the head with a giant hammer.
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote