Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Do you want to see more significant changes to V's combat mechanics?
No - I don't even like fractional blows - go back to how it's been for decades. 1 2.94%
No - fractional blows was change enough - heavier weapons are more viable now. 11 32.35%
Yes, but I don't like the idea of +dam as %, I have a better idea. 3 8.82%
Yes, I want to see +dam as a percentage (and maybe other changes) 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 23, 2010, 22:41   #81
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
I'm willing to help on this. I have no problems with going through the monster edit files and adding the extra data in.
Excellent. If you do a first pass through monster.txt adding an additional argument to the I: line of each monster for its evasion rating, and adjust the "armour class" to reflect only absorption of damage, that would be a great start. Since AC currently goes up to 200, why not split each monster's AC into what you think represents the right balance between its evasiveness and its armour, without changing the total. That way we're not fundamentally altering the balance of any monster at this stage, just apportioning the existing number between two separate concepts.

You get bonus points if you can then edit the parser to parse the extra argument, and edit the monster structure to store it.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 22:48   #82
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
Probably redundant now but another vote of approval for the evasion/adsorption split.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 23:07   #83
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Ok, since we are digressing....

The split of evasion/absorbtion gets my vote too, but it is a bit irrelevant. The reason is that physical damage is dominated in importance to deal with by elemental one. This is a consequence of the monster setup.

Basically I think the game is missing archer monsters - i.e. ranged physical damage dealers. Given that most all physical damage is melee and thus avoidable, the basic winning strategy is to protect against elemental damage and ignore AC. I think something like the classic setup:

melee fighter > archer > wizard > melee fighter

would be better.

I am not asking for any changes, nor expecting them. I am just observing and thinking out loudly. And before anyone points it out...yes I know that some orcs shoot arrows sometimes and I, too, try to get high AC for the M fight. Yet my statement holds for the majority of the game.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 23:42   #84
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Artifact ammo is definitely a good way to deal with this ...
Ammo, singular. One arrow, One bolt, One shot. Not stacks and stacks of them.
ONE-in-a-million. Twenty-two-in-million just doesn't have the same ring.
Old December 24, 2010, 00:24   #85
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Ammo, singular. One arrow, One bolt, One shot. Not stacks and stacks of them.
ONE-in-a-million. Twenty-two-in-million just doesn't have the same ring.
Agreed. The Arrow of Bard, for example.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 00:29   #86
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The Seeker Arrow of Bard (5d5) (+40, +40)
It is especially deadly against dragons. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

With an x5, +20-to-damage launcher, this would deal 9 * (40 + 20 + 15) = 675 average damage in one hit. And with the quiver, you wouldn't have to sacrifice an entire inventory slot, so it'd actually be worth carrying!
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 01:45   #87
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The Seeker Arrow of Bard (5d5) (+40, +40)
It is especially deadly against dragons. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

With an x5, +20-to-damage launcher, this would deal 9 * (40 + 20 + 15) = 675 average damage in one hit. And with the quiver, you wouldn't have to sacrifice an entire inventory slot, so it'd actually be worth carrying!
From Bard that is (with additive multipliers) 10 * (40 + 19 + 15) = 740, with critical shot double to 1480 (+ some arbitrary tiny bonus). Can actually kill a Ancient Dragon with single shot, but not anything greater. Requires either of the two weaker criticals possible with arrows (the superb critical is not possible unless you throw Grond or large steel/iron/wood chest). Difference between those two possible criticals is 5 points of damage: good adds +5, great adds +10 after multiplication of damage, both multiply by 2.

With old system that would have been 25 * ... so I'd say now that works, but in previous system it would have been too much.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 05:04   #88
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
Probably redundant now but another vote of approval for the evasion/adsorption split.
Hey guys, this is radical and an enormous amount of work. It's a lot more rebalancing than would be required to move to O combat, without the benefit of someone already having done it once. Keep in mind this is a digression.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 11:43   #89
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
I think splitting AC into absorption and evasion is the best idea I've heard in a long time.

In answer to the original question, changing it so you get more blows earlier with heavier weapons is probably enough to fix the problem as Powerdiver says.

I still have a bit of an issue with lighter weapons able to get most of their damage from enchantments instead of the damage dice though.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 15:09   #90
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Hey guys, this is radical and an enormous amount of work. It's a lot more rebalancing than would be required to move to O combat, without the benefit of someone already having done it once. Keep in mind this is a digression.
yes, but it is a fun one.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote