Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2010, 02:54   #1
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
extreme stair scumming

hi ~ im new to angband, ive been playing for a few months - i havnt won yet.. anyway, on my last char i started a new strategy hoo~ scum stairs til another down stair spawns or til i land in room with treasure or i detect good treasure..

i didnt have esp or any monster dtect in that run, and i was slain by ~ bjorn the shapechanger (EEK) i land in room full of ork, i start wiping them out, to west is bjorn.. i have no escapes and couldnt make it back to stairs, and wasnt strong to fight him...

anyway im gonna start again , using this strat of scumming?

is it wrong?

or is it the pro leet thing to do?
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 03:18   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is it wrong?
Let me answer that question with another question?
Do you think that it's wrong?

The sad fact is, Angband is very exploitable (and IMO there's no real motivitation on the part of any maintainer to patch these exploits). Some people shy away from these exploits, some people embrace them in whole or in part. What I would call cheating some players have no problem with. Unless you playing a competition character, you can do pretty much anything you want. That said, stair scumming is one of the most obvious, easy, cheesy exploits. So what it really comes down to is... Do you think that it is wrong? Because really, the RNG doesn't care, and you are the only other party involved.
Old December 21, 2010, 03:41   #3
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
My own recent experience is that this sort of game play is much less fun, so I wouldn't recommend it. Also, its probable that you end up with a weaker character this way than an organically grown one, as you will undoubtedly kill fewer monsters per dungeon level, meaning your CL may be lower than if you had followed a "normal" progression when you start fighting tough enemies.

The intent of my posts/games is to satisfy a question I came up with in an empirical manner more than anything else.

Quote:
The sad fact is, Angband is very exploitable (and IMO there's no real motivitation on the part of any maintainer to patch these exploits)
I agree with all of Buzzkill's statements, though I'm curious why the auto-scumming option was removed in previous versions.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 03:48   #4
dos350
Knight

well it make me feel dirty, but quite the contrary bulian ~~ i found i got a better char quicker and i was deeper than usual for my clvl..

maybe people no understand

when i say extreme stair scumming i mean extreme, i go up down very fast alot til i find goodstuff~ anyway i try again now, i think it just might be realdeal
Old December 21, 2010, 04:14   #5
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
maybe people no understand
Oh no, we understand. {channels The Matrix} The problem is that you have not asked the right question.

Is it cheating to peek at the cards when you're playing solitaire?

What, no eek in that post? You feeling OK? This must really be troubling you.
Old December 21, 2010, 04:23   #6
dos350
Knight

hoo! is deep dilemma~ well if you are understanding i am guessing is wat you doing also yes?, eek!

... i start now i have be distract by reading of stair scumming theory~!

edit~

im not so much concerned about the is it wrong part lol, eek~

i am mainly wondering if it is actually good thing to be doing, after 1 char at it i think it is~ that is main ??? eee
Old December 21, 2010, 05:22   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

My last 2 cents. I've tried to beat around the bush as best I could, so here are some disorganized thoughts posted in no particular order.

What do you want? Do you want someone to tell you that that extreme stair scumming is a time tested and honorable practice and that no one will think less of you for it?

You say "it wrong" and "make me feel dirty", so why do you do it?

Don't stair scum. You're not doing yourself any favors in the long run. OTOH if you want to do it, then certainly go ahead and do it and don't worry about it.

You'll learn better survival techniques by not employing questionable ~eeek such as stair scumming, and it's all about survival because if you survive long enough you will win.

I'll suggest to you that you try to move in the opposite direction. Play with disconnected stairs. You may find it very frustrating at first, ~hoo if you enjoy stair scumming, and you may die quite a bit more than you're accustomed to, but that's normal and in the end it will make you a better player.

You're only playing against yourself. If stair scumming doesn't bother you then go ahead and do it, but I doubt you'll you'll savor your victory, providing that you achieve one, as much as if you hadn't.

Is it cheating? That's for you to decide on a personal level. Calling any particular practice "cheating" is generally ill-received 'round here and doesn't do anyone any good.
Old December 21, 2010, 05:44   #8
dos350
Knight

hoo i dont think is cheating is just a bit cheap or something, anyway ive died a lot of times stair scumming just now, but i still think its good~ im not tryin to fully stair scum the whole way eek~ i just find that you get things quicker in earlygame!
Old December 21, 2010, 10:55   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
hoo i dont think is cheating is just a bit cheap or something, anyway ive died a lot of times stair scumming just now, but i still think its good~ im not tryin to fully stair scum the whole way eek~ i just find that you get things quicker in earlygame!
As buzzkill said, Angband tends towards self-policing, rather than having the code police your play. That said, there is a specific option "don't generate connected stairs" which is designed solely to prevent stair-scumming, for those of us who don't like it but might otherwise be tempted.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 11:35   #10
dos350
Knight

eek~ no connected stairs is too hardcore for me