AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2010, 15:43   #21
cinereaste
Scout

cinereaste is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
This is good, but I think Jeff's solution in NPP is even better: rather than a fixed number of turns, you have to reveal a certain number of special squares to trigger a feeling for the current level. This forces exploration and happens regardless of speed. The special squares are completely indistinguishable from normal squares, and are assigned randomly at level generation.
Ooh, that's clever. I like that approach. Has there been any talk of incorporating it into vanilla? The current approach, as Dean mentioned, makes no sense thematically.
cinereaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 15:53   #22
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinereaste View Post
Ooh, that's clever. I like that approach. Has there been any talk of incorporating it into vanilla? The current approach, as Dean mentioned, makes no sense thematically.
d_m and I just agreed that we'd like to borrow this solution, and I added a note to ticket #50 to this effect.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 15:58   #23
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
this is result of my poor hoodover xiv~

> You feel much better.
> You are no longer confused.
> You are no longer poisoned.
> You have a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds (d).
> The Half-troll misses you.
> The Half-troll claws you.
> The Half-troll misses you.
> The Half-troll bites you.
> The Purple worm hits you.
> The Purple worm misses you.
> The Great Ice Wyrm breathes frost.
> The Metallic Red Potion shatters!
> The Half-troll dies.
> The Purple worm dies.
> You die.

~~~~~! ekkkkk, was a greater vault around dlvl 30, ive never seen greater vault with doors before??? anyway i go inside it and greate ice wyrm take me out, i thought it might be danger lol~ now i know of that one... anyway~! i still support stair scum, was another good char lost~ hoo! am still wanting good run from scum but that my best so far of about 14 attempts
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 16:01   #24
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
I'd just like to point out, that whereas that approach is better than the current "time on previous level", or a plain "time on this level", overall IMHO the level feelings are just mostly useless if they are delayed much at all, which this system will also do. Talking from an experienced fast real-time and little tolerance for tedium or boring levels playing point of view of course ...

PS. Danger != tedium. Items lying on the ground unguarded == boring, though not so tedious maybe.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 16:06   #25
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
I'd just like to point out, that whereas that approach is better than the current "time on previous level", or a plain "time on this level", overall IMHO the level feelings are just mostly useless if they are delayed much at all, which this system will also do. Talking from an experienced fast real-time and little tolerance for tedium or boring levels playing point of view of course ...

PS. Danger != tedium. Items lying on the ground unguarded == boring, though not so tedious maybe.
Well, I would strongly argue against instant feelings, as I think they should represent a conclusion reached about the current level from lots of tell-tale clues about monster detritus etc. etc. (as so flavourfully described in variants like Un). The only reason I don't think instant feelings are a problem at the moment is because they're meaningless. Once the algorithm is fixed so that a feeling is useful, I think it's essential that they are delayed.

From your descriptions of you play style it is clear that you and I have completely different definitions of boring, so I doubt we will agree on this issue.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 16:11   #26
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
That's the beauty of game "realism" though, I can rationalize it for me that the character has a sixth sense for dangerous stuff.

"The White Wizard approaches" ... Saw nothing, heard nothing, omg Aragorn has sixth sense or ESP? Or Legolas ... whoever it was ...

And yeah, I just like to clear pits/vaults and kill stuff, moving around is boring for me.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 16:43   #27
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Pits and vaults are the icing, not the cake. They're interesting occasional challenges, but you can definitely have too much of them, especially since they tend to be susceptible to / require degenerate tactics (e.g. for pits, kiting off single enemies and dealing with them one at a time).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 18:04   #28
Dean Anderson
Adept

Dean Anderson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
I'd just like to point out, that whereas that approach is better than the current "time on previous level", or a plain "time on this level", overall IMHO the level feelings are just mostly useless if they are delayed much at all, which this system will also do.
I wouldn't want to see a huge delay before getting a feeling, whether done as a time-on-level delay or a percentage-of-level-explored delay.

I reckon exploring 1-2 rooms or having 1-2 fights (plus rests) would be about right. My fixed delay of 2000 turns (200 moves at normal speed) could maybe be reduced a bit but seems to be in the right ball park.
Dean Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 18:17   #29
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
On the topic of level "feelings": dont tell the player "You feel good." Give him whatever information you deem should be given, wrap it in riddles if you like, but let him decide for himself if he likes it or not. "You feel good" is bad dungeon master style.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 19:00   #30
Adley
Adept

Adley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
"You feel good" is bad dungeon master style.
"This place feels murderous! Premonitions of Death assail you!"
Adley is offline   Reply With Quote