Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 23, 2010, 21:50   #1
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
Getting con!

My current mage is in the lower 50 dlvls (55-57) and I can go much deeper if I wanted, however I only have 199 hp, and 18/24 con. Randarts and =con have been mean to me, giving no con worth anything whatsoever (one =con+2 so far)

Where should I hang around to farm up !con? Or should I just go for broke and be uber-paranoid going down to the bottom?

Also clvl 28 or 29 now.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 22:30   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You get !con where you get all the other gain-stat potions (except !cha, obviously). In the old days I'd say to hunt out troll pits, but with the new drop algorithms I wouldn't know of a specific place to go to search them out. I guess wherever you can get a steady supply of !enlightenment so you can enter a level, chug a potion, check for gain stat on the ground, and grab it.

As for diving, well, you have too few hitpoints for your current depth, so it's not like it'll change your survivability much.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2010, 22:30   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirridan View Post
My current mage is in the lower 50 dlvls (55-57) and I can go much deeper if I wanted, however I only have 199 hp, and 18/24 con. Randarts and =con have been mean to me, giving no con worth anything whatsoever (one =con+2 so far)

Where should I hang around to farm up !con? Or should I just go for broke and be uber-paranoid going down to the bottom?

Also clvl 28 or 29 now.
I've been in that situation, and so has Eddie. The good news is - you don't have to worry about resists, since a single breath will kill you whether you resist it or not ...

I would keep going, and optimise your kit for stealth ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 00:13   #4
Sirridan
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I've been in that situation, and so has Eddie. The good news is - you don't have to worry about resists, since a single breath will kill you whether you resist it or not ...

I would keep going, and optimise your kit for stealth ...
I was kinda slot-locked, couldn't afford to wear any +stealth. Anyway, died because a death drake went through the wall and breathed nether. My stupid mistake for sleeping on the level when I knew it was there (Very Good stealth only )

So, next one will power his way down to stat gain, quaff only !intellect and !toughness +1/-1's, and hopefully I can get higher / max con before I get bored and dive again.

One more thing, is there any way I can take rings of the mouse off the squelch worthless? They are exceedingly good for lower level mages.
Old December 24, 2010, 00:19   #5
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Uh after you find your first = of mouse and it gets squelched, go to options -> squelch -> quality squelch and uncheck ring of mouse.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 00:23   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
I was kinda slot-locked, couldn't afford to wear any +stealth. Anyway, died because a death drake went through the wall and breathed nether. My stupid mistake for sleeping on the level when I knew it was there (Very Good stealth only )

So, next one will power his way down to stat gain, quaff only !intellect and !toughness +1/-1's, and hopefully I can get higher / max con before I get bored and dive again.

One more thing, is there any way I can take rings of the mouse off the squelch worthless? They are exceedingly good for lower level mages.
If you're playing nightlies they are no longer squelched as worthless, but you have to set your Quality squelch submenu to NOT squelch "bad" rings.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010, 00:39   #7
Sirridan
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Uh after you find your first = of mouse and it gets squelched, go to options -> squelch -> quality squelch and uncheck ring of mouse.
They aren't set as squelched like that, tried to already in older versions.

@Magnate, I'll check that out, thanks
Old December 24, 2010, 01:17   #8
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They aren't set as squelched like that, tried to already in older versions.

@Magnate, I'll check that out, thanks
Not ? Weird, I am sure I used this back when I still played with squelch worthless, though it wasnt rings of mouse I wanted to except. It was....something like ring of strength, when the first found was cursed and had negative pval, they got thrown into the "worthless" basket.

Anyway, these days I go to the trouble of manually squelching every unwanted flavour I find. It isnt that much more keypresses and lets me customize every class.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote