Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 30, 2010, 19:10   #11
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
I used to hate the random resistance for higher resists. However, I don't think it's so bad anymore. What I don't like is that the fact that elemental resists are fixed and higher resists are random is so opaque to the player.

Fixing this is kind of moot until we figure out how to inform the new player that multiple elemental resists do not stack, and that you can double resist with a perm resist and a temp resist. IMO this is one of the key points of the game that is completely unclear unless you read the help files.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 19:14   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that FA should protect from ALL slowing - simply that we should not introduce a separate "pSlow" flag. If slowing is resistable, it should FA which resists it.
I take the opposite view. I think there should be an enum of attack types, and a flag implicitly defined for each and every one. Then somewhere else FA can be defined as a set of attacks it opposes, which presumably would include slowing.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 19:44   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I take the opposite view. I think there should be an enum of attack types, and a flag implicitly defined for each and every one.
Well, we don't disagree with this as far as elements are concerned. I am about to turn elements into precisely that, with a flag that resists each one. Of course, some of the resist flags will not exist in the game.

Are you saying that you think there should be another enum of status effects? Since each status effect requires its own code, I can't see that being as helpful. There are dozens of places in the code where it cycles through all the element types, but none where it cycles through all the status effects.
Quote:
Then somewhere else FA can be defined as a set of attacks it opposes, which presumably would include slowing.
But the issue with this is that it doesn't oppose *all* slowing - or shouldn't, IMO.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 20:10   #14
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Fixing this is kind of moot until we figure out how to inform the new player that multiple elemental resists do not stack, and that you can double resist with a perm resist and a temp resist. IMO this is one of the key points of the game that is completely unclear unless you read the help files.
Maybe you should see more details in the info when you Inspect a piece of armour with resists? i.e. Ego of Resist Cold could say "Reduces damage taken from cold attacks to 2/3 maximum" instead of just "Provides resistance to cold". The same with potions and spells that give temp resists.

And/or you could stick a little display at the bottom of the sidebar to show the state of your base four resistances at a glance, like this:

Code:

rAcid  None 
 rElec  x1/3 
 rFire  x1/9 
 rCold  **** 

That way newbies could figure out how things stack or don't by observation. (And more experienced players might notice more quickly when they've left a very stupid resistance hole.)

That might make the sidebar a tad crowded, though.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 20:31   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Maybe you should see more details in the info when you Inspect a piece of armour with resists? i.e. Ego of Resist Cold could say "Reduces damage taken from cold attacks to 2/3 maximum" instead of just "Provides resistance to cold". The same with potions and spells that give temp resists.

And/or you could stick a little display at the bottom of the sidebar to show the state of your base four resistances at a glance, like this:

Code:

rAcid  None 
 rElec  x1/3 
 rFire  x1/9 
 rCold  **** 

That way newbies could figure out how things stack or don't by observation. (And more experienced players might notice more quickly when they've left a very stupid resistance hole.)

That might make the sidebar a tad crowded, though.
Doesn't have to be the sidebar - this sounds like a good idea for the redesigned character screen though ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 21:04   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Well, if you don't put it on the sidebar then people are unlikely to "organically" discover resist stacking.

Incidentally, I'd call it "pHalu" instead of "pHllc".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010, 17:55   #17
Mimu
Rookie

Mimu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Code:

rAcid  None 
 rElec  x1/3 
 rFire  x1/9 
 rCold  **** 
And from there it would be but a small step to delicious percentile resistances...
Mimu is offline   Reply With Quote