Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Right hand column when you press i or e
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 11:44   #12
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Also, the I command ('I'nspect) gives you a lot of information on blows/turn and damage, including "with 2 more strength you'd have 2.3 blows/turn".
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 13:34   #13
mibert
Scout

mibert is on a distinguished road
Ah, yes of course, thank you. I was somehow only looking for it when examining the weapon e.g. "ea"

How come DEX makes me hit with a heavy weapon more often per turn, instead of more STR?
mibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 14:44   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Game balance, presumably. The goal is ti make heavy weapons unusable until late in the game, because they do too much damage. It is easy to get one stat up high, but much harder to get two. That said, there is a real balance problem with HT warrior, who has a much harder time getting max blows than--say--a hobbit warrior. It is a side effect of the partial blows feature that I consider a mistake: that DEX continues to be valuable all the way to 18/220.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 16:27   #15
mibert
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Game balance, presumably. The goal is ti make heavy weapons unusable until late in the game, because they do too much damage. It is easy to get one stat up high, but much harder to get two. That said, there is a real balance problem with HT warrior, who has a much harder time getting max blows than--say--a hobbit warrior. It is a side effect of the partial blows feature that I consider a mistake: that DEX continues to be valuable all the way to 18/220.
Hey, thanks. Ok i see. Still this is quite a turn-off for me. I'm a clv 17 Half-Troll, a huge beast, yet I do more damage with a 1d3 whip than a broad axe with +3,+2. That's just crazy to the point I'd call it a bug.

Is that combat system a recent change or has it been that way for longer?
Old June 4, 2019, 16:31   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's been that way basically forever. There have been the occasional tweak to the rules, and plenty of variants have made significant changes, but nobody's really dared completely overhaul it in Vanilla.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 16:54   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Derakon--
It is NOT that way in 3.0: DEX maxes usefullyout at 18/150, which is easily reached, even as a HT.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019, 16:59   #18
mibert
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's been that way basically forever. There have been the occasional tweak to the rules, and plenty of variants have made significant changes, but nobody's really dared completely overhaul it in Vanilla.
Thanks! Interesting.

It keeps driving me crazy...
A mighty half-troll warrior will rather use a petty dagger than a freaking war hammer of orc slaying
against orcs!
how can you live with that, seriously?
Old June 4, 2019, 17:52   #19
Hounded
Rookie

Hounded is on a distinguished road
+1

I've been playing Angband for ages and this is far and away the one point that creates the greatest disconnect for me. I just run with it and accept but if there was one thing I'd change it would be how this is handled.

Now if I could come up with a constructive suggestion to solve it... Perhaps instead of Warrior increasing multiple attacks they should cap that the same as other classes but have an increased to-dam scale based upon strength bonuses?

The old concept of penalties for unsuitable weapons (based upon size) might bear looking into. Not a straight re-application of the old system but maybe something along the lines of "most attacks possible with right-sized weapon"? For example Hobbits would only obtain max attacks with Small melee weapons while Half-Troll would obtain max attacks only with Large Weapons. Ahdunno, just throwing that out.
Old June 4, 2019, 18:38   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I found you can get close to sanity by just raising the base in the calculations (then adjusting as appropriate).

Like this:

Effective weight = x + weapon weight

So instead of a long sword being about 4 dagger weights in the calculation, you can make it 2 or 3 (or whatever you feel is appropriate).
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote