Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 19:27   #1
bron
Swordsman
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
Posts: 493
bron is on a distinguished road
Invulnerable arrows?

It seems that I don't get arrows in my quiver destroyed by acid and/or fire attacks anymore? Is this the intended behavior? I'm guessing it's a side effect of the fact that arrows in the quiver are "wielded" rather than being part of "inventory". But I don't think it was an intentional effect (?)

Also, have magic/prayer book become harder to destroy? I seem to be losing fewer of them to fire beathers than I remember from the past. Was something changed or have I just been lucky?

[I'm running some version of 3.1.2 ; I'm pretty sure it is the 3.1.2v2 download from oook.cz download page, but I'm not 100% sure.]
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 19:49   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 39
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
It seems that I don't get arrows in my quiver destroyed by acid and/or fire attacks anymore? Is this the intended behavior? I'm guessing it's a side effect of the fact that arrows in the quiver are "wielded" rather than being part of "inventory". But I don't think it was an intentional effect (?)
This is definitely true, based on the current implementation. I'm not sure what takkaria's preferred behavior here is (I could imagine stuff being invulnerable to destruction like worn equipment, treated just like the inventory, or having a smaller (but non-zero) chance to be destroyed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Also, have magic/prayer book become harder to destroy? I seem to be losing fewer of them to fire beathers than I remember from the past. Was something changed or have I just been lucky?
I am pretty sure this has not been changed, but I might be wrong.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 20:05   #3
awldune
Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 113
awldune is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Also, have magic/prayer book become harder to destroy? I seem to be losing fewer of them to fire beathers than I remember from the past. Was something changed or have I just been lucky?
Looking at the source, there doesn't appear to be any change from 3.0.9.

I haven't noticed any change in playing.
awldune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 20:22   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
(I could imagine stuff being invulnerable to destruction like worn equipment, treated just like the inventory, or having a smaller (but non-zero) chance to be destroyed).
The whole idea that the quiver counts as equipped rather than being an extension of the pack is just plain awful IMO. Wielding ammo is bad, noticing brands on wield is worse, and invulnerable quivers are just plain wrong.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 22:26   #5
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 39
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The whole idea that the quiver counts as equipped rather than being an extension of the pack is just plain awful IMO. Wielding ammo is bad, noticing brands on wield is worse, and invulnerable quivers are just plain wrong.
Takkaria wanted the same basic quiver from S/NPP and that's what we got (give-or-take).

#2 and #3 are both (probably) easily solvable bugs. I don't see how they are related to #1 at all (EDIT: that's overstating it, I guess I mean there is no reason to believe they can't be fixed without changing #1).

#1 would require a complete rewrite (and honestly would probably require significant refactoring to the whole inventory/equipment/obj-cmd scheme).
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 23:00   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 8,264
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
#1 would require a complete rewrite (and honestly would probably require significant refactoring to the whole inventory/equipment/obj-cmd scheme).
Not so bad, I think. You would need another command for "put in the quiver", and an option in the take off command for switching to the quiver.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2010, 23:13   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
#1 would require a complete rewrite (and honestly would probably require significant refactoring to the whole inventory/equipment/obj-cmd scheme).
I'll rewrite it some day, but have more useful things to do now. I don't see why it would be a big deal, except to yank out all your hard work.

Increase the pack by 10 slots, and require max 10 slots of ammo allowed. Small changes to pack_absorb, small changes to pack sorting, label last 10 slots 0 to 9 and ammo only goes there.

[edit] pack_absorb or whatever is used to decide whether there is room in the pack enforces #non-ammo slots <= 23 + (99 + #ammo)/100

The only mildly interesting part is making sure you allow empty slots between used slots in the pack, and doing that correctly allows spellbooks to be forced into correct slots. I see upside and no downside.

This seems simple and complete. Did I miss something?

Last edited by PowerDiver; April 7, 2010 at 23:19.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010, 06:06   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,698
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
This seems simple and complete. Did I miss something?
Yes. Quiver slots don't move currently. This is a nice feature that reduces the amount of required inscriptions.
Also: the inventory is already up to near the end of the alphabet.
Would you wrap the alphabet for ammo, or start with all caps, or with numbered slots (as now.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010, 06:27   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Yes. Quiver slots don't move currently. This is a nice feature that reduces the amount of required inscriptions.
Also: the inventory is already up to near the end of the alphabet.
Would you wrap the alphabet for ammo, or start with all caps, or with numbered slots (as now.)
I wrote "label last 10 slots 0 to 9 and ammo only goes there"

and I guess I should have added no non-ammo is allowed in those 10 added slots.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arrows slaying dragons naturally? Zikke Vanilla 6 January 10, 2009 11:47
[Z+]Crash when moving arrows into a container Asgoth Variants 1 December 6, 2008 04:15
Should arrows/shovels be 'good'? ChodTheWacko Vanilla 4 October 14, 2008 03:21


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.