Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Which is the best version of Angband?
2.4 (Frog Knows) 3 6.98%
2.6.1 0 0%
2.8.3 6 13.95%
2.9.3 3 6.98%
3.0.6 5 11.63%
3.1.2 4 9.30%
3.2.0 3 6.98%
3.3.2 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 19, 2011, 06:47   #21
Storm-Sky
Scout

Storm-Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
While that would be fascinating and I'd love to try playing it, it'd also be a pretty monumental task. Do we even have the source to frog-knows? Deciphering its dungeon generation, monster AI, etc. without that would be quite a challenge.
rephial.org, lists the source code, so yah we should have it.
Storm-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011, 08:35   #22
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
While that would be fascinating and I'd love to try playing it, it'd also be a pretty monumental task. Do we even have the source to frog-knows? Deciphering its dungeon generation, monster AI, etc. without that would be quite a challenge.
I've thought about this a lot (see previous offers and challenges to Timo), and so have other devs. You don't actually need the f-k source (though it is available). You just need someone to document every aspect of how f-k actually works (i.e. a spec, in tech terms). Then we can go through it and adjust the current code to match it. Myshkin and I have both considered this - but you're right that it's a monumental task. It would probably take a single dev months, and there are about 335 other things we could be doing ...
Old November 19, 2011, 18:30   #23
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
After going through and playing the old versions from frog knows I vote for 2.8.3 it's a very well balanced and super stable version, I like 3.3.2 looks and full screen capabities for windows, but I'm a more traditional older player and I consider 2.8.3 to be as close to the original as possible without to many changes that changed the feel of the game or broke balance, it was a perfected version of frog knows in my opinion
Old November 19, 2011, 19:51   #24
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
I don't fully remember the differences anymore, but I remember thinking at the time that 2.9 was slightly better than 2.8 which in turn was slightly better than 3.0, but I was playing 3.0 because it was newer and under development.

Then Dave Blackston showed me his squelch patch and everything changed.

Assuming my recollection is correct, my ordering would be

3.0.6 with squelch >>> 2.9.3 > 2.8.3 > 3.0.6 >> 3.1.2 >> 3.2.0 >> 3.3.2

When I play now, I play 3.0.9 hacked to auto-id aware items on walkover with some other changes.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011, 20:25   #25
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I don't fully remember the differences anymore, but I remember thinking at the time that 2.9 was slightly better than 2.8 which in turn was slightly better than 3.0, but I was playing 3.0 because it was newer and under development.

Then Dave Blackston showed me his squelch patch and everything changed.

Assuming my recollection is correct, my ordering would be

3.0.6 with squelch >>> 2.9.3 > 2.8.3 > 3.0.6 >> 3.1.2 >> 3.2.0 >> 3.3.2

When I play now, I play 3.0.9 hacked to auto-id aware items on walkover with some other changes.
So, if you could get 2.9.3 with squelch that would be your favorite? Or is there something in 3.0.6 that makes it better with squelch than 2.9.3?
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2011, 20:27   #26
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
It's a hard question to ask. I have some nostalgia for the pre 3.0 versions, but at the same time, I ALWAYS found it necessary to mercilessly cheat when playing those. So I voted for 3.3.2. I haven't found the need to go back to an earlier version, so for me, I guess the latest is usually the best.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2011, 01:02   #27
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Is this an extension of your 3.0.9e release?
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2011, 02:46   #28
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
You don't actually need the f-k source (though it is available). You just need someone to document every aspect of how f-k actually works (i.e. a spec, in tech terms).
Hahaha you have no idea how dodgy that sounds

Especially the f-ksource (say it fast)

A.
Old November 20, 2011, 14:48   #29
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
After going through and playing the old versions from frog knows I vote for 2.8.3 it's a very well balanced and super stable version, I like 3.3.2 looks and full screen capabities for windows, but I'm a more traditional older player and I consider 2.8.3 to be as close to the original as possible without to many changes that changed the feel of the game or broke balance, it was a perfected version of frog knows in my opinion
If you are looking for 2.8.3/2.9.0 era with the current UI you are looking for, NPP offers something close with the right birth options turned off.

Just play a game of the current NPP 0.5.3 with no quests, no store services, no themed levels, no extra artifacts, no player ghosts. You still have 4gai and many, many minor changes, but it isn't too far off from 2.8.3 gameplay.
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2011, 15:23   #30
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
Just play a game of the current NPP 0.5.3 with no quests, no store services, no themed levels, no extra artifacts, no player ghosts. You still have 4gai and many, many minor changes, but it isn't too far off from 2.8.3 gameplay.
Unless you have gone back closer to vanilla angband NPP much further away from F-K than current vanilla. Older NPP are maybe somewhat close to vanilla angband, but not the last one that I played.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote