AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 26, 2013, 14:58   #181
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
i;m playing an Aphrodite Demigod Beastmaster.

The Kiss skill works great alongside dominate, instead of making a creature your pet and following you around it makes them friendly. So you can use it to cover corridors, or rooms, since they tend to stay in the same area and an added benefit is there's no upkeep cost. I think that Kiss has the potential to work against any creature too so endless fun there.
As a Beastmaster, you may even kiss a unique monster to ride. This is something you would not otherwise be able to do, so it is quite powerful. For instance, you could fight the Serpent while riding the Unicorn of Order!

(BTW, you can kiss friendly monsters to attempt to make them pets).
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013, 16:16   #182
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
As a Beastmaster, you may even kiss a unique monster to ride. This is something you would not otherwise be able to do, so it is quite powerful. For instance, you could fight the Serpent while riding the Unicorn of Order!

Very cool, i think i might rethink my Lazy personality then. That sounds like a much more interesting endgame. No big deal with the trap detection, was just curious. Ill just walk a little more softly.

On second thought, getting others to do my work, sounds like it fits the Lazy personality perfectly.

Last edited by UglySquirrell; April 26, 2013 at 16:45.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2013, 17:34   #183
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
No big deal with the trap detection, was just curious. Ill just walk a little more softly.
If you turn off view_unsafe_grids try turning on both disturb_trap_detect and alert_trap_detect.

For next release, I'll add the DTrap status indicator (green inside detect trap region and yellow on the edge) from Vanilla. You will have a choice of visual indicators on the map (view_unsafe_grids = ON) or the status indicators (view_unsafe_grids = OFF).
Old April 27, 2013, 15:28   #184
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:

Oops. That's only in Chengband. Apparently I've made so many nerfs to Chengband powers that I can't remember them all, but Kiss will no longer work on unique monsters.

But, you are playing lazy anyway, and would prefer to kill the Unicorn, no?
Old April 27, 2013, 16:18   #185
UglySquirrell
Swordsman

UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oops. That's only in Chengband. Apparently I've made so many nerfs to Chengband powers that I can't remember them all, but Kiss will no longer work on unique monsters.

But, you are playing lazy anyway, and would prefer to kill the Unicorn, no?
Ya ill give the Unicorn my best shot , I didn't realize we could ride unique's, my last game, i accidentally charmed one of the unique Great Eagles as a pet In the Mountains with dominate creature. So i know that works. I'll try that again.

I got insanely lucky with a summon pet scroll, at CL 26. Read it in the Dragons Lair and got Kokuo, Raou's Steed. He may not hit really hard, but he hits a lot, is +20 speed, regenerates and hits a lot

Thanks for the detect traps tip, it works perfectly.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 19:42   #186
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Sorry if this has been reported already, but...

There seems to be a discrepancy in how much knowledge the character has in regard to weapons display: If, say, the character has an Identified (but not *Identified*) Katana (Craft), he/she can wear it, press "C" and "w" to see that it's branded Elec/Fire/Cold, but upon (I)nspecting is told "You have no special knowledge about that item". This seems a bit off.

Maybe the easy (or even right!) solution is to just replace Identify with *Identify* across the board and make normal Identify a bit scarcer/expensive?
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 20:08   #187
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Sorry if this has been reported already, but...

There seems to be a discrepancy in how much knowledge the character has in regard to weapons display: If, say, the character has an Identified (but not *Identified*) Katana (Craft), he/she can wear it, press "C" and "w" to see that it's branded Elec/Fire/Cold, but upon (I)nspecting is told "You have no special knowledge about that item". This seems a bit off.

Maybe the easy (or even right!) solution is to just replace Identify with *Identify* across the board and make normal Identify a bit scarcer/expensive?
The issue here is that the player is assumed to have knowledge of what ego items do even if the particular item in question has not been *idenitified*. In this case, the player knows that (Craft) weapons are branded with Fire, Cold and Lightning, and that they grant extra light. All of these should be reflected in the character dump in the flags section (I didn't confirm this for your example). Also, the weapon info command ('C' 'w') should likewise show this information.

(BTW, this is handled by the object_flags_known function and is configurable with the compile option: SPOIL_EGO_ITEMS. Personally, I don't think egos should be spoiled this way until the player *identifies* at least one ego item of the corresponding type, but that's something for another day.)

So I'm guessing that the object inspection command needs to also tell the player about these "known flags"? That should not be too hard to implement, I think. I'm not sure when I will get back to coding ... I'll try to remember to address this when I do
Old May 3, 2013, 20:43   #188
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Obviously, it's not a big deal -- just seemed worth reporting as an inconsistency.

There are two things I'd like to introduce to PosCh if I could: Instant pseudo and the elimination of the Id/*Id* dichotomy. It generally speeds up gameplay and eliminates the annoyance of hoarding gold for *Id*.

Last edited by AnonymousHero; May 4, 2013 at 08:45.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 21:44   #189
Susramanian
Apprentice

Susramanian is on a distinguished road
I'd also like to see *Identify* removed. It's a bit silly that even basic descriptions of common items are obscured until you use a rare, expensive scroll. It enhances my enjoyment of the game not at all, and in fact detracts from it quite a bit.

A question while I'm on the subject of PosChengband: what's up with the line of sight rules? Monsters perform all sorts of crazy trick shots around corners-- stuff that goes well beyond the traditional hockey-sticking. I didn't try to duplicate these tricks, since I was a purely melee character, but I have to say that they felt a bit dirty. I'm all for a harder game, but it seemed that the game was throwing out all the work I was doing trying to achieve a smart, tactical position against a superior force. Again, hard is good, but I want to prevail through skilled playing, not potion binge drinking. For the first time in any *band, I found myself having to grind for consumables at shallower levels in order to survive at 3000' and below. Yuck!

Don't get demoralized by my complaints... I played for a great many hours before getting turned off by the potion grinding! More than I can say for most variants. Keep up the good work!
Susramanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 22:05   #190
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
There are a ton of asymmetries in Angband's LOS rules; the hockey stick is simply the most prominent one.

My general opinion on this is that the right solution is to require both parties to be able to see each other before either party can shoot the other. Thus you can have asymmetric vision but not asymmetric firing lines.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote