AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 1, 2013, 15:42   #251
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
After my mindcrafter wins (he is getting somewhere), Ill go give the Air type a go. Love it you made them, they were the best monster races in Posband.
Well, I didn't even look at how Posband did them, so perhaps mine aren't so fun? What did you like best about the Posband elementals?
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013, 16:06   #252
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
The fact that every one had a serious penalty and being elementals in general. Just imagine yourself moving through the dungeon as a huge fiery humanoid.

Fire: Burns scrolls (maybe even staves) in the inventory in a few turns.
Air: Destroys rings/amulets in the inventory in a few turns.(except the ones with immunity to the elements flag).

I don't know about water elementals, maybe ruin/freeze potions and earth weren't made.

But water could short-circuit rods and earth... something else

Without certain items you are forced play in a different way. That's what makes them fun, you need to change your way of playing. So having every single one a destroy-something-in-you-inventory-flag will give them a nice distinctive way to play them.

Also the elemental rings (dropped by their own boss) were pretty nice to have.

Just checked my dump of my best elemental, it was in 2006. Explained why I needed to think this hard to remember Can't remember much more except what's noted above. Except they were rated as 'Difficult' by the variant maintainer.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013, 17:05   #253
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
The fact that every one had a serious penalty and being elementals in general. Just imagine yourself moving through the dungeon as a huge fiery humanoid.

Fire: Burns scrolls (maybe even staves) in the inventory in a few turns.
Air: Destroys rings/amulets in the inventory in a few turns.(except the ones with immunity to the elements flag).

I don't know about water elementals, maybe ruin/freeze potions and earth weren't made.

But water could short-circuit rods and earth... something else

Without certain items you are forced play in a different way. That's what makes them fun, you need to change your way of playing. So having every single one a destroy-something-in-you-inventory-flag will give them a nice distinctive way to play them.

Also the elemental rings (dropped by their own boss) were pretty nice to have.

Just checked my dump of my best elemental, it was in 2006. Explained why I needed to think this hard to remember Can't remember much more except what's noted above. Except they were rated as 'Difficult' by the variant maintainer.
OK, I'll try to come up with something similar, but I would ask that all other player's blame Arjen when their stuff gets destroyed

I might also redo some of the elemental rewards so please wait for the next release before slaying your boss. I should have something later today ...

As for Water, I see that Posband gave them a cold feel but I gave them more of an acidic feel. I was thinking I might add Ice Elementals at a later date ... And I still don't know what to do with Earth. Any thoughts?
Old July 1, 2013, 18:06   #254
Arjen
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
OK, I'll try to come up with something similar, but I would ask that all other player's blame Arjen when their stuff gets destroyed

I might also redo some of the elemental rewards so please wait for the next release before slaying your boss. I should have something later today ...

As for Water, I see that Posband gave them a cold feel but I gave them more of an acidic feel. I was thinking I might add Ice Elementals at a later date ... And I still don't know what to do with Earth. Any thoughts?
I'm not the maintainer, blame him for lissening!

So whats left to be destroyed?
Thought of something really bad.

Water elementals with acidic touch ruins weapons and armor. Stuff with res acid left alone ofcourse.

And potions just disappear in the mud of Earth elementals.

So fire destroyed scrolls, Air jewelry (equiped and inv), Water destroys metal (equiped and inv) and Earth potions.

No idea whats left for Ice But it's more of a subclass of water than a sole elemental. You could still give Earth the ability to drink potions but let Ice freeze them before they have an effect (übernasty as Statspots are useless).

*edit* typo
Old July 1, 2013, 19:36   #255
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
I'm not the maintainer, blame him for lissening!

So whats left to be destroyed?
Thought of something really bad.

Water elementals with acidic touch ruins weapons and armor. Stuff with res acid left alone ofcourse.

And potions just disappear in the mud of Earth elementals.

So fire destroyed scrolls, Air jewelry (equiped and inv), Water destroys metal (equiped and inv) and Earth potions.

No idea whats left for Ice But it's more of a subclass of water than a sole elemental. You could still give Earth the ability to drink potions but let Ice freeze them before they have an effect (übernasty as Statspots are useless).

*edit* typo
OK ... *You* asked for it

1.0.27 has been uploaded here. It includes the addition of Elemental inventory/equipment destruction effects and is quite nasty. Also, I tweaked up the Air boss reward since they won't be able to ever wear rings of speed!

Enjoy!

EDIT: BTW, I only made water corrode armors. Weapons I left alone for now ...
Old July 1, 2013, 20:17   #256
Arjen
Adept

Nice

Now I really want to hurry up with my mindcrafter
Old July 1, 2013, 20:22   #257
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
Make Ice break potions, and earth ruin wands and rods (too fragile, the earthy body just crushes them)
emulord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013, 21:50   #258
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulord View Post
Make Ice break potions, and earth ruin wands and rods (too fragile, the earthy body just crushes them)
That would also work ... But I think I will hold off on Ice Elementals for the time being. Currently, each of the elementals has a favored in game terrain that is useful for them (and I might add one more ability along these lines shortly). But there is no ice based terrain at the moment and I'm too lazy to add one
Old July 1, 2013, 22:41   #259
Arjen
Adept

Ok, as Air elemental you start with a ring of dex. Turn 2, it's destroyed... Gimme something else!

Same with the Water elemental and an armor. Somewhat useless except for starters money.
Old July 2, 2013, 00:24   #260
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Question - HOW do I turn off the *annoying* message that says "Moderation in all things?"
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote