AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old July 26, 2013, 00:28   #321
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
What I would like to see is giants getting the ability to throw small monsters at other monsters for damage to both
It would be fun to see Giants throw yeeks or snotlings left and right.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 00:39   #322
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What I would like to see is giants getting the ability to throw small monsters at other monsters for damage to both
And well-balanced damage if they toss non-elven 'h' characters.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 01:05   #323
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I actually really like this idea! I'm just trying to think of a nice way to determine "small" for purposes of throwing without running thru r_info adding some sort of size attribute ... But if there were a weight attribute, then that could factor into the damage calculation as well as the "permissible" calculation (influenced by Str and level).

Throwing Snaga Sappers would be fun
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 02:18   #324
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As a first pass, you could restrict it to monsters that are no more than, say, half the character's level, and only from certain symbols (e.g. o, h, p, j, etc.).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 04:55   #325
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I asked that Yeeks be allowed as sling ammo in V for 3.4. It never happened

I see Yeeks as Popples in my head.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:42   #326
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but I actually really like this idea!
I was kind of serious. It was an idea from my Creative Consultant (my son) from a while ago, and his ideas are often at the imaginative end of the spectrum. And then Derakon's comment reminded me of it, and I thought that PosCheng could just possibly pull it off
Old July 26, 2013, 12:53   #327
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
My creative consultant (girlfriend) --- also on the imaginative end of the spectrum --- independently voiced this monster-throwing suggestion to me for PosCheng. I thought it was too far out there, but now I'm tossing it in the ring! (Actually what I thought at the time was that Chris probably didn't have time to implement something so seemingly convoluted... ^^)

Of course... she was thinking that it would be a monster that would throw other monsters at the player, and that the thrown monsters could very well be large, like dragons. And the monster's name was to be Xoctagar the Powrahowse. Basically an incarnation of pure dynamism and destructive energy. We figured out what flags and stuff the Xoctagar would have... Ah, I found the document.

Xoctagar the Powrahowse
Active powers: haste, invulnerability, hurl boulder, breathe shards, breathe sound, breathe disintegration, breathe force, throw monsters at player
Passive powers: chew through rock, crush items on floor, push past weaker monsters*
Melee combat: punch to shatter, punch to shatter, crush to cause earthquakes, crush to cause earthquakes

*Not crush weaker monsters because that paradoxically takes longer.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013, 19:09   #328
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

OK, for fun, I uploaded 1.0.34 here. This is a beta release and only adds the giant's Throw Monster power.

How does it work? Well, after activating the power, you are prompted to choose an adjacent monster to throw. If the monster is too heavy, or can't be thrown for some reason, the toss fails. Also, you need to successfully grab the monster, and this depends on your melee skill and the monster's AC. How big a monster you can pick up as well how far you can throw it depend on your Strength, your level and the monster's weight.

After you have successfully grabbed an adjacent monster, and lifted it over your head, you are then prompted for a target (Try turning on the Show Path option so it becomes obvious how far you may throw). Throwing the monster will hit the first thing along the path. If this is a monster, you might miss it (i.e. there is another combat roll, this time using your shooting skill vs the target monster's AC). If you miss, the target monster takes no damage, but the tossed monster might take a little damage. If you hit, both monster take equal damage, the amount dependent on the weight of the thrown monster as well as your experience level.

If there isn't a nearby target monster, then you can still use this power to get rid of nearby enemies, sort of as a short range line of sight teleport away power. Alternatively, you can bash the monster into a nearby wall. I recommend this option

Ideally, monsters could also do this to the player, but that will have to wait a bit until my coding batteries recharge ...

Thanks for the idea, Nick!

Last edited by chris; July 26, 2013 at 19:14.
Old July 27, 2013, 02:15   #329
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Whatever happened to version 1.0.33?

Last edited by HugoTheGreat2011; July 27, 2013 at 02:44.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2013, 14:11   #330
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Whatever happened to version 1.0.33?
It got announced here. I think it just got lost with all the giant tossing banter.

You can always download old releases here, but Google Sites doesn't give much storage space so I have to delete them eventually.

For those who like to build, I'm trying very hard to remember to tag each release here.