Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old December 3, 2013, 15:27   #1
mrrstark
Adept

mrrstark is on a distinguished road
Final Rest doesn't Glow?

I noticed on the weekend that a weapon of final rest doesn't glow near undead, is that intentional? It seems a bit inconsistent, I didn't analyze the combat rolls to see if it was actually working.
mrrstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 15:31   #2
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
It does for me. Was it a wraith/wight? Vampires aren't counted as undead in sil.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 16:01   #3
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrstark View Post
I noticed on the weekend that a weapon of final rest doesn't glow near undead, is that intentional? It seems a bit inconsistent, I didn't analyze the combat rolls to see if it was actually working.
Which undead specifically? Remember the only things that count as undead in Sil have a W as their glyph.

Edit: oops, didn't read above post. Also, proximity required for glowing depends on # in the vicinity and I think even the difficulty / depth of the monster
Old December 3, 2013, 16:17   #4
mrrstark
Adept

That might have been it.

Why aren't vampires undead? Balance reason with respect to final rest weapons?

Does that mean that final rest is pretty much not worth lugging around, since it only works on W's which aren't that big of a deal, and not vampires who you end up seeing _way_ more of than W...?

I also don't get the split between serpents and dragons, and Nagathrond only works on dragons... and demons? Intuitively, I'd have expected final rest to work on vampires and W's, something to work on dragons and serpents, and maybe something else to work on demons specifically.
Old December 3, 2013, 16:52   #5
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Vampirism is a bacterial disease, so no, they aren't undead. :P (I asked the same in another thread, apparently vampires aren't explicitly undead in Tolkien lore.)

Final Rest gives freedom of movement, so I tend to switch from Nargothrond weapons to Final Rest weapons when attacking dragons. I would even say they are the best of the slaying weapons in the game.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 16:59   #6
mrrstark
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
I would even say they are the best of the slaying weapons in the game.
Oh? Just for the freedom of movement (another thing I didn't know about )? Obviously the slay effect doesn't work vs. anything other than W's, so freedom of movement (on your weapon) is that important?
Old December 3, 2013, 17:18   #7
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Never underestimate +10 to your will check. Entrancement also means your evasion is set to -5 whatever your normal evasion is.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 20:12   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrstark View Post
Why aren't vampires undead?
Short answer: Vampire = big bat monster
Old December 3, 2013, 21:16   #9
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Final Rest gives freedom of movement, so I tend to switch from Nargothrond weapons to Final Rest weapons when attacking dragons. I would even say they are the best of the slaying weapons in the game.
I find final rest to be situationally useful -- if I am low-will stabber who will probably be entranced and starved to death by oathwraiths or unmourned, it is definitely good to have a final rest swap on hand. I find them quite useless otherwise, it's often possible to work fract into other slots.

Nargothrond and Doriath are much more useful to me in mid/late game (hi shadow spiders, balrogs, gwathrauko), and Gondolin can easily win the first 400' feet for you. I would rather just use Nargothrond on dragons to kill them as fast as possible with some other source of fract, since confuse and fear are also pretty bad when fighting them and the odds of resisting all 3 are minimal.

I've often wondered if "slay abomination" would make a better combo brand, where you remove free action and instead allow them to slay H as well. This would make them helpful against the dark Hs and provide a potential escape against grotesques for a big-sides weapon, which would make me much more likely to hold onto one. I don't like how the undead themed weapons nerf W so much by resisting what is basically their most dangerous thing (entrance), when they're already borderline too easy (except for certain builds, of course)
Old December 3, 2013, 22:09   #10
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I don't like how the undead themed weapons nerf W so much by resisting what is basically their most dangerous thing (entrance), when they're already borderline too easy (except for certain builds, of course)
I hate Oathwraiths with a passion. Final rest is worth hanging on to just for them.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote