Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 6, 2015, 01:27   #1
strato
Rookie

strato is on a distinguished road
Question Help understanding item descriptions

Hi, I'm really new to Angband (started playing within last week) and don't quite understand the way that weapon damage works. I know this is probably a dumb question, but I've done google searches & searched through help content; haven't found much useful.

If I have a sword (in this case the Long Sword of 'Elvagil'), what does the following mean? (2d5) (+12, +12) <+2>

Armor is slightly less confusing, but I'd appreciate an explanation for that too.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by strato; April 6, 2015 at 04:07.
strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015, 02:20   #2
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
If I have a sword (in this case the Long Sword of 'Elvagil'), what does the following mean? (2d5) (+12, +12) (+2)
The first number refers to the dice that are rolled to calculate the basic damage. So if you have 2d5 damage, that means two 5-sided dice are rolled, and the result will be a random number between 2 and 10.

Whenever you see two numbers in brackets with plusses like (+12, +12) on an item, they represent bonuses to hit and to damage (in that order). To-Hit bonuses are not very important to worry about because the calculations are quite complicated and it's hard to really tell how much difference they make. The second number, the damage bonus, is much more important because that's added to the roll of the dice and increases the amount of damage you do with every hit.

The third number - it's usually shown in triangular brackets like <+2> in newer versions of the game, but if you're playing an older version it might be in round brackets - means that the weapon gives you some kind of bonus to your statistics, such as +2 to strength or dexterity, etc.

To see more details about a weapon and any special properties or stat bonuses it has, you can use the Inspect command ('I') and select it from the inventory or the equipment list. Looking at the Inspect screen will tell you the average damage per turn after all the dice rolls and bonuses are added up, and how many blows you can strike per turn with your current stats. (At the beginning of the game when you're not very strong, light weapons like daggers can sometimes be better than big heavy ones with high damage, because you're able to strike multiple blows in a single turn. So it's always worth looking at the Inspect screen to compare different weapons and see which is best.)

Armor will have statistics something like:

Code:
Studded Leather Armor (-1) [12, +2] <+1>
The first number in the round brackets is a penalty to hit: the heavier a piece of armor is, the more it reduces your chance of hitting monsters. (But again, bonuses and penalties to hit are not really that important to worry about, because it's hard to tell how much difference they make.)

Numbers in square brackets represent points of AC (Armor Class). The first number is the basic AC, which will always be the same for that particular type of armor (i.e. all Studded Leather Armor has an AC of 12). The second number represents any magical bonus added on top of that, so this example armor has a +2 bonus on top of the standard 12.

Any extra +something number on the end in triangular or round brackets is, again, a bonus to your stats like +1 STR or +1 CON. Use the Inspect command to look at the details of stat bonuses, and see if the armor has any other special properties like resistance to certain types of attacks.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you're enjoying the game.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015, 04:19   #3
strato
Rookie

That information is so helpful, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
The first number refers to the dice that are rolled to calculate the basic damage. So if you have 2d5 damage, that means two 5-sided dice are rolled, and the result will be a random number between 2 and 10.
Okay, so would it mean that if it were 2d8, would two 8-sided dice be rolled? If not, what does the 8 stand for?

Quote:
The third number - it's usually shown in triangular brackets like <+2> in newer versions of the game, but if you're playing an older version it might be in round brackets - means that the weapon gives you some kind of bonus to your statistics, such as +2 to strength or dexterity, etc.
Yeah, I now realize I misread it. It is in triangular brackets. (Updated post)

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! Hope you're enjoying the game.
Thanks. I certainly am enjoying it (most addicting game I've played).

Last edited by strato; April 6, 2015 at 05:13.
Old April 6, 2015, 07:13   #4
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Okay, so would it mean that if it were 2d8, would two 8-sided dice be rolled? If not, what does the 8 stand for?
Yes, that's what it means.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015, 16:14   #5
strato
Rookie

Okay, thanks.
Old April 6, 2015, 21:48   #6
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Some armor (such as caestus) can also give bonuses to your hit and/or damage outputs. For example, a Set of Caestus (+1, +3) [5, +5] would add +1 to your to hit chances, +3 to your damage/hit, and +10 to your armor class.

Here's an example of how you would calculate damage. Let's say you are wearing that Caestus and wielding a dagger that is 1d4 (+2, +5) and you are strong enough and dexterous enough to get 3 blows per turn. That would mean that each time you hit you would damage your opponent a random number between 1 and 4 +3 for the gloves +5 for the enchantment on the dagger for a total of between 9 and 12. Since you get 3 blows per turn, your actual damage per turn (assuming you successfully hit your opponent all 3 times) would be between 27 and 36. Your average damage per turn would be around 31.5 (probably slightly higher since there is a finite chance of a critical hit which does more damage).
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015, 22:44   #7
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
Some armor (such as caestus) can also give bonuses to your hit and/or damage outputs. For example, a Set of Caestus (+1, +3) [5, +5] would add +1 to your to hit chances, +3 to your damage/hit, and +10 to your armor class.

Here's an example of how you would calculate damage. Let's say you are wearing that Caestus and wielding a dagger that is 1d4 (+2, +5) and you are strong enough and dexterous enough to get 3 blows per turn. That would mean that each time you hit you would damage your opponent a random number between 1 and 4 +3 for the gloves +5 for the enchantment on the dagger for a total of between 9 and 12. Since you get 3 blows per turn, your actual damage per turn (assuming you successfully hit your opponent all 3 times) would be between 27 and 36. Your average damage per turn would be around 31.5 (probably slightly higher since there is a finite chance of a critical hit which does more damage).
All of which, including the critical hit chance, is helpfully calculated for you. Just inspect the weapon and you will see the damage per round and blows per round information. Note that even if you don't have max blows now, you may later when strength and dexterity improve. Thus, a heavy weapon that is underperforming a lighter one may outstrip it later on.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weapon stats