Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 5, 2017, 22:12   #161
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Linux has come a long way--when I used it last, it was impossible to use without the terminal.

Anyway, it's easy. Open the terminal, change directory (cd) to where you want the root.
$ cd angdir
# Get the source
$ git clone https://github.com/poschengband/poschengband
# and follow these instructions
http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/Compiling
Choose "run from the current directory", ie make with no install
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017, 22:32   #162
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the instructions. It honestly looks pretty daunting. Just to clarify, I don't have Linus, I have Mac OS X (which I guess can run Linux stuff?). I'd like to win an Ironman game anyway before I try PosChengBand. Was doing well except for having so few ?phase doors. Debated taking on Gorlim. Decided I could since he didn't have a lot of HP and I didn't see anything nasty in his monster history but of course it got refreshed when I started playing the Nightlies. So he casted two bolts of raw magic in one turn (I was at +5 speed). Oh well, time to see what sort of luck I get in my next attempt.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017, 22:40   #163
Pete Mack
Prophet

Oh. That is more complex, as I don't think OSX comes with the rev suite installed. Back in the day, when I had a mac, it was the third install disk. Now you presumably have to download it? But it was even easier to compile. Just cd to the src directory and type
$ make install -f Makefile.osx

Yes, it's that easy... once you have the dev suite installed.
Old March 5, 2017, 23:25   #164
Grotug
Knight

I'll give it a whirl when I complete Ironman.

Is it possible to export the messages during a game? A magic mushroom match just nearly ended my fledgling @ when I was taking on a priest and a couple Easterling warriors. The magic mushroom patch went to town and it was kinda nuts how many bad things were happening and how quickly my health was plummeting after I was slowed.
Old March 6, 2017, 01:10   #165
Grotug
Knight

Well that was exceedingly exciting and fun while it lasted (and it lasted a fair bit considering).

Ran out of ?Phase,
Ran out of ?Teleportation
Never found _Teleportation
Ran out of !CSW
Picked up 3 !CCW near the end of my life.

Was using two rings of open wounds to great effect.
Then swapping one of them with a ring of damage [+10] I found.
I had two rings of FrAct that I couldn't wear. DL23 through DL25 was skin of my teeth fun. I'll recount the end:

Took down Bolg son of Azog by the skin of my teeth. Then Mim? (DL24) the disenchanter showed up immediately after before I could check the loot.. I actually could have beat him but I quaffed an unknown potion before the bolg fight and got stat swapped: wisdom for Dex. I had him almost dead (so many uniques I killed with ~20 health, one with 12 health out of 250 after I ran out of ?Phases). Had I not quaffed that potion I would have had the damage to beat him. I did forget to use my staves of CLW but not sure they would have done anything against Mim. It was a really exciting game, though.

I wish I could have seen what Bolg had dropped; maybe I should have moved in towards Mim to grab at least one of the items, but I thought I better run and heal and fight him that way (using the ring of open wound) which is what I did against another orc unique who I so so so barely beat (he really should have killed me but I got lucky and killed the energy vortex with like one blow which was blocking my way to keep him from hitting me [he moves at my speed so he can never attack me as long as I move; he was a blue orc unique], I had like 30 health when I hit the energy vortex and got to move before the orc unique could hit me. BTW, I was wielding a stoneskin curse rapier and the energy vortex was breathing on me in a hallway and was doing very little damage; so not sure all how much electricity I was actually conducting? Though he was some distance from me.

Helluva game, though; one of the funnest I've had yet, I think! I think I'm gonna try HT Warrior this time for the faster level gains. And I'm not doing the slow and safe method; I will dive because it's so much more fun, even if it's suicide as Ironman. It was fun putting those open wound rings to such great use! I woulda died ages ago without them. Massive heals for that period of the game.
Old March 6, 2017, 02:27   #166
chknflyrice
Adept

chknflyrice is on a distinguished road
HT Warrior is and has always been my favorite. High Str and Con makes diving easy but just remember he's stupid and traps are a mystery to him for a long time. Have fun!
chknflyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 03:29   #167
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknflyrice View Post
HT Warrior is and has always been my favorite. High Str and Con makes diving easy but just remember he's stupid and traps are a mystery to him for a long time. Have fun!
Yeah, I think I like HE Warrior better. I died a dumb death. I wasn't diving too fast, but somehow when I got to the DL20s I wasn't finding any good loot; had a really tough fight with Sanyando or something and he dropped a book. Then the stupid ghosts reduce my dex or my experience and frighten me till kingdom come. I hate it.
Old March 6, 2017, 04:15   #168
Pete Mack
Prophet

Yep, hard to beat HE for really fast dives, unless you have Detect Evil spell, or get lucky with staves. 'G's is a problem. I'd recommend dwarf paladin as an alternative, or even HT paladin, if you don't mind setting off every single trap.
Paladin (and priest) has the added bonus of an early escape spell, and a significantly reduced need for cure potions. They are good choices for ironman. (Mage casters are good too, since they evade trouble better.)

Last edited by Pete Mack; March 6, 2017 at 04:21.
Old March 6, 2017, 04:58   #169
chknflyrice
Adept

chknflyrice is on a distinguished road
If you want a caster HT, imo priest is about the only way to go. Base race stats are really not in your favor for the Paladin. It takes way too long to get any reliability from prayers without the boost from the priest class bonus. Been trying for awhile for a win with the pally and never could get it done.
chknflyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017, 09:14   #170
Grotug
Knight

HE Warrior for the time being. I do like the Dwarf Paladin combo as well, but I get a little overwhelmed with the book management later on. Seems I end up lugging around 6 or 7 books. I'll go back to a caster class eventually, though.

Well this was a good start; after about 10 moves on DL1 I am CL6. Read a ?summon monster that summoned two OOD monsters but this time I bought a main gauche before entering the dungeon so am doing 26 dam per round out of the gate. This is why I love HE Warrior. So my max HP is 71 after ten moves in the dungeon.

Yes, HE Warrior has some problems with consumables thanks to having no control of ?DD. One of these games I'm going to have a strong start and stockpile my consumables. It just might take 20-40 games.

EDIT:

EDIT:
It's Open Wounds again. Still have yet to use a ?Phase Door. Just killed the Cyan Yeek Unique.

EDIT:
Not sure how much Nick reads this thread (I kinda hope he does since I play a lot and thus figure my feedback is sometimes useful?) But it would be nice if certain messages could linger longer. I keep missing "Your Ring of Open Wounds has recharged". If recharging messages stayed for 5 or 7 turns on the top of the screen that would be nice, so long as no other new messages showed up. (I suppose you could apply it to all messages). So it could work simply like this: a message printed at the top of the screen stays for 7 turns unless a new message happens, in which case it gets replaced with the new message and then that one stays for 7 turns or until a new message appears.

EDIT:

I love Ochre Jellies. They're my favorite. Ochre Jelly took one turn. I was at normal speed:

Last edited by Grotug; March 6, 2017 at 12:15.