Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 31, 2010, 18:38   #1
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Updating help files

This file will have all the most recent updated files. Because of oook's insanely low limits on text file size, I'll need to add them as .zips Since there are more than 5 files, see the second message for additional files.

Major changes:
dungeon.txt no longer exists. What was in that file is the new playing.txt (a more apt name).
The old playing.txt was split between command.txt and a new customize.txt

I think I've completed everything with the exception of a couple items in options.txt that I didn't know what they were (status subwindow, and the mouse buttons). Everything else is ready to go. Ewert was talking about writing a basic newbie guide with strategies and maybe that could be an addition to playing.txt or a new file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've taken on the task of updating the help files. I've done two so far (birth and command)

Description of changes/additions are here:

birth:
Added basic description of 'speed' under attributes.

cleaned up races a bit, added infravision to description.

Cleaned up classes a bit, added max blows to description along with 0% fail where applicable.

Described recommended starting stat levels. Ignored 'maximise' option since it's treated in the options file. And seems like a major aside here.

Added that inspection shows how to get more blows under fighting.

command:

described encumberance limits display on inventory

added quiver description to equipment, wield and fire.

Added that you can use - to turn off auto-disarm

Added 'movement' commands. Really, how in the world was this not here. Also described the use of ctrl+move

Added that opening auto-picks

Moved what was under 'fire' to throw, and rewrote fire. It was blatantly wrong, since it said you could use the fire command to throw.

Changed Observe and item (I) to Inspect an item (I). Mentioned that it will let you know if you have not yet found all item attributes. Also current and additional blows and digging stats.

added location of objects in object list display.

Added that notes appear in character history

Added description of auto-inscribe in the ~ list.

Hopefully the formatting is ok.
Attached Files
File Type: zip birth.zip (11.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: zip general.zip (7.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: zip command.zip (15.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: zip attack.zip (12.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: zip customize.zip (6.7 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by fizzix; August 2, 2010 at 05:30.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2010, 18:56   #2
fizzix
Prophet

one other thing. I was not sure if the descriptions with regard to psuedo-ing items was out of date or not. Can someone briefly describe the changes made to this in the last year or so and I can alter it in the help files if necessary?
Attached Files
File Type: zip playing.zip (9.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: zip option.zip (7.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: txt 312.txt (1.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by fizzix; August 2, 2010 at 05:27.
Old July 31, 2010, 19:14   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, these are the possible pseudo-IDs:

{magical}: the object has modifiers to its base stats. Weapons have have bonuses or penalties to-hit and to-dam; armor may have bonuses or penalties to its armor modifier. For example, a Broad Sword (2d5) (+4,+6) or a Cloak [1,-6]

{ego-item}: the object has extra effects and a descriptor name, which may be good or bad. For example, a Broad Sword of Flame or a Cloak of Vulnerability

{cursed}: the item cannot normally be removed once wielded; you must read a Scroll of Remove Curse (or in rare cases, a Scroll of *Remove Curse*), or try to break the curse with enchantment scrolls, if you wish to un-equip the item. For example, a Broad Sword of Morgul (which would pseudo as {cursed, ego-item}).

{excellent}: an ego-item that has no stat modifiers, like the aforementioned Broad Sword of Flame

{splendid}: an ego-item that has stat modifiers. For example, a Spear of Westernesse, a Helm of Beauty, or Boots of Stealth.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2010, 19:50   #4
fizzix
Prophet

more specifically, are there class-based differences in pseudo-ing ability that are no long existent. Is pseudo ability tied to perception? I can't remember if any of these are true.
Old July 31, 2010, 19:56   #5
miyazaki
Adept

miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
If I recall correctly, these are the possible pseudo-IDs:

{magical}: the object has modifiers to its base stats. Weapons have have bonuses or penalties to-hit and to-dam; armor may have bonuses or penalties to its armor modifier. For example, a Broad Sword (2d5) (+4,+6) or a Cloak [1,-6]

{ego-item}: the object has extra effects and a descriptor name, which may be good or bad. For example, a Broad Sword of Flame or a Cloak of Vulnerability

{cursed}: the item cannot normally be removed once wielded; you must read a Scroll of Remove Curse (or in rare cases, a Scroll of *Remove Curse*), or try to break the curse with enchantment scrolls, if you wish to un-equip the item. For example, a Broad Sword of Morgul (which would pseudo as {cursed, ego-item}).

{excellent}: an ego-item that has no stat modifiers, like the aforementioned Broad Sword of Flame

{splendid}: an ego-item that has stat modifiers. For example, a Spear of Westernesse, a Helm of Beauty, or Boots of Stealth.
{excellent} an ego-item that has no apparent bonuses when wielded or worn.

A broad sword of flame is {splendid} because you will see the flames licking the blade when you wield it. {excellent} items tend to be weapons with slays and armour with resistances that do not become apparent until you attack the corresponding monster class or defend against the corresponding elemental attack.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2010, 20:35   #6
fizzix
Prophet

general.txt is next, it's short so easy.

bartering with -> buying from
changed character creation to be inline with the current menu options.

adapted wear, wield description since player starts out wearing chain mail and broad sword.

There's a long existential aside about the difference between a player and the character. It seems wholly irrelevant, but I left it in anyway, because it's kind of humorous.

Changed shopping description so the commands work.

Changed description of throw command to use 'nearest monster' throwing ability. Was more confusing before.
Attached Files
File Type: txt general.txt (18.3 KB, 292 views)
Old July 31, 2010, 21:18   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I believe that is incorrect. An ego with a curse shows up as cursed or worthless or something. I believe this distinction is about the presence of the curse flag only, so if there was an ego with only aggravation that would show up as (ego) or (ego-item) or whatever it is.

The help should say that (ego) changes into either (excellent) or (splendid) upon wield, depending upon whether *anything* can be discerned simply by wielding. Also, the latter two appear only after wield.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2010, 22:22   #8
fizzix
Prophet

dungeon

removed haggling reference.

Removed store race effects and shopkeeper greed in shopping (doesn't exist anymore, I believe) Included store max

Included store restock times since turns are displayed.

Changed store inventory description where appropriate. I.E. general store has WoR now but temple doesn't have it.

removed 'be careful to find every treasure' on the dungeon level description because preserve mode is the default, and this message only speaks to non-preserve mode.

included that monsters will not chase up or down stairs.

changed the way curses are worded, although this will need to be changed again soon when curses are reworked.

changed the way encumbrance was worded.

added the WoR starts in character inventory.

changed WoR description, included 'recall' feature on screen bottom.

added description of flavors, and {unknown} tag in stores.

Based on what's written here, I'll add 'inscription instructions' to command.txt There was a circular reference where one file referenced the other for instructions on this, but neither actually had it. Commands seems like a better place to put it.

Included more descriptions of pseudo and removed the 'discount' stuff. man I had forgotten that existed. Replaced current out of date section.

Described in brief the ID-by-use system.

Added enchantment breaking curses in 'cursed items' for however long this feature exists, it may be out of date soon.

Added section on traps

Removed a paragraph describing Morgoth because it's just not true. (i.e. can't be *destructed*)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dungeon.zip (9.8 KB, 102 views)
Old August 1, 2010, 05:28   #9
fizzix
Prophet

what command fires at the nearest target in the rogue-like keyset?
Old August 1, 2010, 05:40   #10
fizzix
Prophet

I tracked down where inscriptions are written about (in playing the game) So I changed the cross-references in commands and dungeon so that they're pointing in the right direction (and reattached)

playing
Added example to description of {@x#}. Included quiver description.

added description of 'h' command in original keyset (dunno what equivalent command is in roguelike)

changed !f!k!d to !v!k!d in inscriptions

Nothing else here really needs updating but I would really like to change the title of this section to "customizing Angband" and move the first half (brief description of commands) into the commands file.

I'll post a copy after I do that (probably tomorrow).