AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old July 11, 2020, 22:45   #41
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
Staffs of light produce a visual darkness effect when activated (even in ascii mode).

EDIT: Dragon breaths are also black instead of red.

EDIT: As are Serpent breaths. Seem to recall arrows looking like black dots as well. Gonna go ahead and call this a general visual bug.
Thanks for the report. Looking at this.

The earlier issues you've reported have been being worked on, and there's a solution for both rage and glowing weapons on the latest version of the Linux version. I'll roll a new release once I've got enough bugs fixed.

Quote:
EDIT: Drauglir dropped the bat fell of thurwengl.. thurw.. thrwl you know who I mean. Happened in ASCII, weird since I recall getting the wolf pelt in another run. The bat lady is still alive according to my monster memory.
Very weird, I haven't been able to reproduce this. Wolf pelt has been dropping somewhat reliably and there's nothing obvious in the code that makes this look likely.

Quote:
EDIT: Oldie but goodie: Special shadow cloaks don't display their stealth bonus when unidentified, and SC of stealth don't auto identify.
Yup, that's a bug right enough.

Quote:
EDIT: Dunno if its just me, but is there a -lot- of cold resistance around? Feels like most new artifacts/egos add it somehow.
There have been a couple of new egos that add it, yes. Artifact fire resistance still handily outnumbers artifact cold resistance, but the egos will turn up in more games. Do you feel it needs pruned back a bit?
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2020, 13:39   #42
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Haven't reproduced the bat fell either. The CR is probably a function of "of warmth" suddenly being the best cloak ego, as well as Falas bows giving it to most characters without tradeoff.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2020, 16:13   #43
Infinitum
Swordsman

Speaking of QoL improvements, the ability to disarm traps or bash doors by way of ctrl-move would be nice.
Old July 19, 2020, 16:57   #44
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Speaking of QoL improvements, the ability to disarm traps or bash doors by way of ctrl-move would be nice.
This is already in game, and I just went and tested it to make sure I wasn't going crazy - are you experiencing some circumstances where it breaks?
Old July 19, 2020, 17:05   #45
Infinitum
Swordsman

Figured out the circumstances. I'm usually playing on laptops and usually prefer to use the arrow key and keyboard numbers for movement. Can't get it to work with them. It works fine using the numpad though.

Gonna keep the numpad working in mind though, thanks.
Old July 19, 2020, 18:12   #46
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Figured out the circumstances. I'm usually playing on laptops and usually prefer to use the arrow key and keyboard numbers for movement. Can't get it to work with them. It works fine using the numpad though.

Gonna keep the numpad working in mind though, thanks.
Hmm. I have it working with both cursors and vi-keys on a Dell XPS. Could you check whether having numlock on or off affects this?
Old July 19, 2020, 23:17   #47
Infinitum
Swordsman

Number lock does nothing. Holding control just seems to deactivate all number keys on the keyboard altogether. Can't strike the air using them and whatnot. Running on a 64-bit Windows 10 home.
Old July 20, 2020, 15:53   #48
MicroChasm
Rookie

MicroChasm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Number lock does nothing. Holding control just seems to deactivate all number keys on the keyboard altogether. Can't strike the air using them and whatnot. Running on a 64-bit Windows 10 home.
I'm also using 64-bit Windows 10 Home, and using ctrl does seem to deactivate the number keys for me as well. The arrow keys still work with ctrl just fine though. Using ctrl with vi keys doesn't work as expected either.
MicroChasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2020, 22:30   #49
Infinitum
Swordsman

Finally beat the beta! Had another thought about the lategame balance; remove Bane? Rauko-bane pretty much trivializes most of the dangerous and mobile enemies in the depths.

Also the Oaths seem plain bad in its current form. Too many hoops to jump through for a single stat-point, especially since Power and the various stat booster abilities exists. Vengeance is plenty strong though, pretty much a guaranteed criticals vs the enemies that matter.
Old July 22, 2020, 01:07   #50
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Finally beat the beta! Had another thought about the lategame balance; remove Bane? Rauko-bane pretty much trivializes most of the dangerous and mobile enemies in the depths.
I took a step toward addressing this already in the beta, by making the glass cannon rauko a little less dangerous and upping the danger from spiders and undead. I am not sure it swings the pendulum away from Rauko-Bane given the number of dangerous uniques. However Bane is one of the more fun abilities and I'd be sorry to see it go.

Quote:
Also the Oaths seem plain bad in its current form. Too many hoops to jump through for a single stat-point, especially since Power and the various stat booster abilities exists. Vengeance is plenty strong though, pretty much a guaranteed criticals vs the enemies that matter.
I think the logic is a little off here since stat points stack, and just as the ability to take both Subtlety and Finesse makes Subtlety a gamechanger even though on the surface it is a weaker Finesse, the existence of a strictly weaker additional way to get a stat point is made more potent by other ways to get stat points existing, not less. (This is particularly true for Con and Gra, less Str and Dex).

However I'm open to the possibility some or all Oaths need boosted.

Silence - an additional Dex point late game is probably worth 4K XP, maybe more, based simply on the cost of melee, evasion and stealth. Assuming other Will skills are taken and the Oath costs 1.5K or 2K, it's a 2K discount. This has to be set against not taking songs. For elves this makes little sense, and with Whetting as it is I think even Edain would prefer the songs. Post Whetting replacement it improves but Silence may still need more love. I would appreciate others weighing in.

Honour - an additional Str point is very relevant if you have a weapon that can make use of it, but the balance currently favours Whetting a bit I think and hence lighter weapons. This may improve but the annoyance factor of enemies escaping may require a bigger bribe.

Mercy - this is already strong for pacifists, who will happily take every Gra point they can get. Potentially also relevant on an Elbereth build. The restriction is very painful for non-stealthy characters without Elbereth. I am reluctant to boost this as I think it's one of the most obvious Will tree picks for pacifists already.