Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2016, 00:43   #71
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,022
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
What are your thoughts on the stat up/down potions and mushrooms (brawn etc.)? Worth using?
The potions are absolutely helpful, so long as you're judicious in which ones you use. As a melee character, your priorities are Brawn and Nimbleness -- anything that gives you more blows in melee is a good thing. Don't worry about Intellect, let alone the WIS/CON potions. More CON is good of course, but its effects only become really significant when you have a lot of it and several levels under your belt.

What mushrooms are you talking about?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 06:34   #72
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 2,123
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Stat swap potions for your principal stat or stats can be okay. Sometimes I wait if an adverse stat swap could be hard to cope with, e.g., str for dex, or vice versa, if one or both of those is too low. What mushrooms? Do you mean Vigor? Vigor is worth saving at home to restore from stat drainers. (Sometimes I will also use a Stat swap potion as a restore.)
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 10:43   #73
robbiodobbio
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 152
robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The potions are absolutely helpful, so long as you're judicious in which ones you use. As a melee character, your priorities are Brawn and Nimbleness -- anything that gives you more blows in melee is a good thing. Don't worry about Intellect, let alone the WIS/CON potions. More CON is good of course, but its effects only become really significant when you have a lot of it and several levels under your belt.

What mushrooms are you talking about?
Mushrooms of vigor, I assumed that they swapped stats too. Do they just replenish drained stats?
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 10:49   #74
robbiodobbio
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 152
robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
Also, if you drink a stat potion (potion of strength) while a stat is drained (in yellow) does it restore it and increase it? Or just restore it?
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 15:29   #75
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,214
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Also, if you drink a stat potion (potion of strength) while a stat is drained (in yellow) does it restore it and increase it? Or just restore it?
both restore and increase.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016, 16:01   #76
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,022
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Mushrooms of vigor, I assumed that they swapped stats too. Do they just replenish drained stats?
Yes, but there's no "just" about it -- Vigor is the most reliable way to restore drained stats. It's worth saving every one you find in case you have a bad run-in with Time Hounds or something.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 00:02   #77
robbiodobbio
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 152
robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
Had a hairy moment with an ancient white dragon, barely escaped.

What are your thoughts on tackling vaults? I've got the "you feel there are valuable treasures here"(sic) thing, then found a vault stuffed full of really tough monsters. I've tried to fight them a couple of times and had to beat a hasty retreat.

Does the "feeling" mean there's a particularly good artefact?

Do artefacts regenerate? I mean, if I recalled out of a level where Ringil was just lying on the floor (I don't think this has actually happened), is it lost forever?

Just one more thing, what's the fail rate on trying to enchant weapons and armour? Whenever I try to enchant any of my ego or artefact items the enchantment fails.

Cheers
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 00:04   #78
robbiodobbio
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 152
robbiodobbio is on a distinguished road
Found a staff of speed, tried to recharge it...... it backfired
robbiodobbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 00:11   #79
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 2,123
Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
Found a staff of speed, tried to recharge it...... it backfired
The RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away... all hail, the RNG....
__________________
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016, 01:51   #80
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,022
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiodobbio View Post
What are your thoughts on tackling vaults? I've got the "you feel there are valuable treasures here"(sic) thing, then found a vault stuffed full of really tough monsters. I've tried to fight them a couple of times and had to beat a hasty retreat.
Tackle vaults only if you feel like you're able to handle them. They're strictly optional.

Quote:
Does the "feeling" mean there's a particularly good artefact?
No. The level feeling system is based on the "value" of items on the floor of the level. Artifacts tend to be valuable, but there's plenty of other things that can make for a good level feeling.

Quote:
Do artefacts regenerate? I mean, if I recalled out of a level where Ringil was just lying on the floor (I don't think this has actually happened), is it lost forever?
The only way to permanently lose an artifact is to discard it after having learned its name. If you never picked Ringil up, you're safe.

Quote:
Just one more thing, what's the fail rate on trying to enchant weapons and armour? Whenever I try to enchant any of my ego or artefact items the enchantment fails.
It's a sliding scale. Enchanting a +0 item is easy, enchanting a +14 item is incredibly difficult (tiny fraction of a percent chance of success), enchanting a +15 item is flat-out impossible. People usually stop at around +10 or so.

As for recharging, only try to recharge items when they're at 0 charges. It doesn't guarantee success, but it improves your odds substantially.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, angband, dungeon, newbie, player


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ironman priest tips? Thraalbee Vanilla 18 October 25, 2016 19:31
Tips on making new classes? Zambaku Vanilla 3 July 8, 2013 14:39
Hints and tips Derakon Vanilla 24 December 23, 2010 22:32
Mage Help/Tips ramier Vanilla 31 June 10, 2010 16:21
tips wanted will_asher AAR 4 February 15, 2008 00:31


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.