Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 1, 2011, 03:22   #1
ulrichvonbek
Apprentice

ulrichvonbek is on a distinguished road
What weapons are better than the Glaive of Pain?

I realized just how brutal this weapon is when I saw it came within 6 points of damage to the MoD of Slay Evil I had when it came to evil monsters. MoD was way in front when it came to undead & demons, but the GoP was way in front when it came to non-evil monsters.

I guess I could check the spoilers, but I'd rather hear from people.
ulrichvonbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 04:37   #2
SSK
Adept

SSK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek View Post
I realized just how brutal this weapon is when I saw it came within 6 points of damage to the MoD of Slay Evil I had when it came to evil monsters. MoD was way in front when it came to undead & demons, but the GoP was way in front when it came to non-evil monsters.

It's a big weapon for sure.
Generally, though, certain other weapons are considered better because they are also big and have other important properties (resistances, speed boosts, sustains, ESP, immunities etc). Such weapons include:

Ringil
Aule
Durin
Eonwe

Deathwreaker
Zarcuthra, and to a lesser extent
Doomcaller
Anguirel

are nice if you don't mind aggravation or are using other items causing aggravation

Next level:
Eowyn
Ulmo
Fundin Bluecloak.

My opinion.
SSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 06:33   #3
Tregonsee
Adept

Tregonsee is on a distinguished road
It also depends on what character you are running. Aule was much better for me than GoP because I was a priest.
Tregonsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 06:35   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek View Post

There is a problem with current blows-calculation, because it allows max blows with MoD even with warrior, which makes high-ego MoD way more powerful than most artifacts. (It also makes Deathwreaker an insane weapon, but that's another matter).

While I like the change that makes heavier weapons more preferable, I think it has overshoot a bit. Max blows with MoD should not be easy to obtain, if even possible.

Better than GoP? Ringil, Aule, Eonwe, Durin (maybe), Doomcaller (aggravates), Deathwreaker (aggravates). If you need speed, then maybe also Eowyn, Fundin and Aglarang (and if you need something else that weapon provides, list increases a lot).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011, 08:22   #5
ulrichvonbek
Apprentice

ulrichvonbek is on a distinguished road
If warriors can get max blows with MoD, I probably should have gotten my dex up higher with my warrior then. IIRC, I never got more than 5 with Ulmo, which I would have been quite content to melee Morgoth with, or GoP, which showed up later.

I looked at my char dump, and I had 18/*** STR and 18/151 DEX. (That was on 3.1.2v2, so the calculations may have been different that version.)
ulrichvonbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014, 19:53   #6
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post
It's a big weapon for sure.
Generally, though, certain other weapons are considered better because they are also big and have other important properties (resistances, speed boosts, sustains, ESP, immunities etc). Such weapons include:

Ringil
Aule
Durin
Eonwe

Deathwreaker
Zarcuthra, and to a lesser extent
Doomcaller
Anguirel

are nice if you don't mind aggravation or are using other items causing aggravation

Next level:
Eowyn
Ulmo
Fundin Bluecloak.

My opinion.
I'm trying to see how Anguirel can compare to GoP which I've found for my rogue and absolutely love it as my fighting swap weapon (as opposed to Nimloth which is my speed/stealth swap weapon). GoP for me gives average 423/round (of course against everything) and in practice a lot more with all the criticals, and Anguirel gives only 286 and it's a lot lighter so less crits. And it's aggravating so that's against my rogue's sneaking around preference.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014, 20:08   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
I'm trying to see how Anguirel can compare to GoP which I've found for my rogue and absolutely love it as my fighting swap weapon (as opposed to Nimloth which is my speed/stealth swap weapon). GoP for me gives average 423/round (of course against everything) and in practice a lot more with all the criticals, and Anguirel gives only 286 and it's a lot lighter so less crits. And it's aggravating so that's against my rogue's sneaking around preference.
Just a quick note: as I understand it, the damage/round calculation takes crits into account.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014, 21:45   #8
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Ringil. I think with the +10 speed its pretty much the best weapon in the game. I had 50+ speed with my most recent winner. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15743 and Ringil was a big part of that. Although some other weapons cause more damage per round, that +10 speed boost always you to get another round on most monsters in V since not too many monsters go past +20, unlike other variants. So for V I'd say Ringil trumps even the Glave of Pain. But if you were playing NPP or FA that would be more open for debate, since a lot of high lvl monsters are at +20
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014, 22:05   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
+50 speed? If you have over +30 base speed then it's time to swap Ringil out for a better-damaging weapon, because high-end speed gains are really pretty marginal. In fact, you only really need +30 to avoid getting double-moved; +40 only rarely gets you yourself a double-turn against monsters at +30.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014, 22:56   #10
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
The Glaive of Pain was best back in the day when you could Acid-brand it with a ring of Acid. That way, sauron would die immediately. Nowadays, it's handy as a big damage-dealer if you have everything covered and don't have the better weapons.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote