Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 7, 2019, 20:03   #161
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Nightlies page has new builds, a few small changes:
  • Bug where held monsters could move if they were stunned as well is fixed (thanks wobbly)
  • Ogre mages coloured like other mages
  • Typo in Old Man Willow's description carefully imported from ToME has been ruthlessly destroyed
  • Monster lore file (lore.txt) should now load fine even if it has obsolete monsters in it
More bugfixes will come, I'm also going to start looking at the artifact list (tweaking individual items rather than removing old ones or introducing new ones) and randart generation.

Game crashed dropping an !Infravision into home.

Last edited by Grotug; March 8, 2019 at 14:34.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2019, 14:35   #162
Grotug
Veteran

Pile integrity failure at obj-pile.c:214

Guilty object
=============
Name: Heroism
Next: Berserk Strength

Guilty pile
=============
Name: & Bolt~
Name: Cure Light Wounds
Name: Phase Door
Name: & Pair~ of Leather Sandals
Name: & Rounded Pebble~
Name: Light
Name: & Bolt~
Name: & Arrow~
Name: & Cloak~
Name: Treasure Detection
Name: Detect Invisible
Name: True Seeing
Name: Stun Monster
Name: Second Sight
Name: Light
Name: & Set~ of Leather Gloves
Name: & Whip~
Name: Soft Leather Armour~
Name: Stinking Cloud
Name: & War Hammer~
Name: & Metal Cap~
Name: Cure Light Wounds
Name: & Lantern~
Name: Digging
Name: Cure Serious Wounds
Name: Infravision
Name: Cure Critical Wounds
Name: Speed
Name: & Ration~ of Food
Old March 8, 2019, 15:35   #163
Grotug
Veteran

I think tongue in cheek descriptions are okay for certain kinds of enemies, but it doesn't seem appropriate for a genuinely menacing foe like the new Blood Falcon. Maybe the latter part of the description isn't meant to be tongue in cheek, but I might suggest you type into google: rip and tear and let me know what comes up.

While I really like the implementation of this glass cannon (and DL20 seems very appropriate for such a foe) it does seem a tad early for introducing "incredibly quickly" monsters. What do others think? Certainly Very Quickly would be fine. Very few monsters are incredibly quick. Even the Phoenix isn't. I'm not necessarily advocating its speed be reduced, just putting it out there.

At any rate, its description should probably reflect its otherworldly speed: a blinding whirlwind of fear and feathers. Its razor sharp beak and talons fill its foes with terror as it seeks to rend flesh from bone with unbridled ferocity.

Last edited by Grotug; March 8, 2019 at 16:05.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2019, 21:44   #164
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I think tongue in cheek descriptions are okay for certain kinds of enemies, but it doesn't seem appropriate for a genuinely menacing foe like the new Blood Falcon. Maybe the latter part of the description isn't meant to be tongue in cheek, but I might suggest you type into google: rip and tear and let me know what comes up.
I had no idea, thank you for pointing that out. Clearly I'm getting old. I like your description, and will use it.

I'm inclined to think the speed is OK; I'll wait to see how many people squeal about it
Old March 10, 2019, 07:53   #165
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Just got my dwarf priest to level 30, and while it appears that the Orb of Draining prayer does do radius 3 damage now, the prayer book still says "dam 45+3d6, rad 2". Shouldn't it change to show "rad 3"?

The description of the prayer looks to be correct, "The bigger area of effect is attained at character level 30."
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 22:57   #166
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

New builds on the nightlies page with the following changes:
  • Mages and druids (the monsters) no longer evil
  • Adopted Grotug's description for the blood falcon
  • Great wyrms of chaos and law are back
  • Ossė is back, a bit deeper and a bit nastier
  • Some fixes to pits that weren't working because of monster changes (thanks mrfy)
  • A couple more changes of monster colour
  • Priests marked as having the right number of books (thanks PowerWyrm)
  • Teleport description fixed (thanks Estragon)
  • No teleport curse now prevents teleport to and teleport level (thanks Thraalbee)
  • Fixed radius description in spellbooks (thanks mrfy)
  • Randarts nerfed a bit

Let me know how randarts are going now. I have just done a quick fix*, and I have plans to have a more thorough look at generation method.

*For those interested in the detail, the current method of assigning power for an artifact of a particular type (sword, cloak, etc) is
  1. Calculate the average, minimum and maximum power of the standard artifacts of the given type
  2. Pick a power by sampling from a normal distribution with mean the average just calculated, and assuming that the maximum is M standard deviations above the mean, and the minimum is m standard deviations below
I have just changed from M=3 and m=2.5 to M=m=2.
Old March 10, 2019, 23:27   #167
Voovus
Apprentice

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
*For those interested in the detail, the current method of assigning power for an artifact of a particular type (sword, cloak, etc) is
  1. Calculate the average, minimum and maximum power of the standard artifacts of the given type
  2. Pick a power by sampling from a normal distribution with mean the average just calculated, and assuming that the maximum is M standard deviations above the mean, and the minimum is m standard deviations below
I have just changed from M=3 and m=2.5 to M=m=2.
I thought one of the main issues was that certain bonuses weren't given an appropriate power value, e.g. I recently found boots of speed +7 at 1100' and they only generated a level 5 feeling. This fix doesn't correct that, right?

On a related note, I'm finding the current curses poorly balanced. More precisely, I don't think I've used a *Remove Curse* in ages. When you first introduced them, curses often appeared on exceptionally strong artifacts, and that was much more fun.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 18:15   #168
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
When using Smite Evil or Demon Bane spells, can the damage be reflected on weapon inspection? Right now, it is just a temporary indicator at the bottom of screen, with no idea how effective or ineffective the spells actually are.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 21:13   #169
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
I thought one of the main issues was that certain bonuses weren't given an appropriate power value, e.g. I recently found boots of speed +7 at 1100' and they only generated a level 5 feeling. This fix doesn't correct that, right?
No, it doesn't; moreover trying to work out how to change that made me realise I need to revert object power from an unreadable edit file to a readable .c file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
On a related note, I'm finding the current curses poorly balanced. More precisely, I don't think I've used a *Remove Curse* in ages. When you first introduced them, curses often appeared on exceptionally strong artifacts, and that was much more fun.
OK, I'll have a look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
When using Smite Evil or Demon Bane spells, can the damage be reflected on weapon inspection? Right now, it is just a temporary indicator at the bottom of screen, with no idea how effective or ineffective the spells actually are.
Yes, that's a sensible suggestion.
Old March 14, 2019, 18:26   #170
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
Necromancer first try

Hi,

I took a break for awhile and I'm now back and trying out some of the current changes, with a necromancer at the moment. Overall I like it -- it does feel a little underpowered when it comes to offense though; I'm currently CL19 at DL13 and still using nether bolt pretty much all the time. It did take me a little while to figure out that I get a casting penalty for being in the light though.

Tap Unlife is cool, but it's also my only magic weapon against undead, and its high failure rate make it a little sketchy (though you can't argue with the mana cost). It seems like it will be dangerously slow to kill anything except the entry level undead.

Am I right that Noxious Fumes just does poison damage to monsters once - they are not continuing to be poisoned over time, possibly dying on their own a bit later, the way the player is? This will be a lot more useful after I get rPoison.

Does Create Darkness give you any advantage other than removing the penalty for being in the light, if you are?
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote