Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 26, 2020, 19:46   #1
Petoften
Knight

Petoften is on a distinguished road
Running thread warrior run little questions

I know I tend to have little questions so I'll put them here I guess if they come up. I'm level 17 on dlvl 15.

Like in every game with an inventory ever, I am out of carrying spots, and need to not take something.

Candidates: stave of sleep monster, wand of hold monster, amulet of teleportation, which might seem useless, but?

I'm thinking hold/sleep sound great, but don't actually work on the monsters they'd be useful?

Keeping potions of light/serious, neutralize poison, berserk strength, true seeing, infravsion.

Scrolls phase door, recall, treasure, hunger, light, deep descent, blessing.

Wand of magic missiles, stave of mapping.

Ring of digging, torch of brightness, bow (sling equipped), emergency mushrooms.

Ya, I haven't even needed range yet, but keeping best sling, bow, and magic missiles seems prudent.

Last edited by Petoften; June 26, 2020 at 19:59.
Petoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020, 20:26   #2
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
sleep monster - if your stealth is bad enough for things to be awake in the 1st place, then they're just going to wake back up again.

hold monster - useful if you actually use it, generally people don't.

amulet of teleportation - junk. Though I sometimes use them on weak characters.

wand of magic missile - weaker then a shooter unless you're a race/class that just misses.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020, 21:21   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
The essential gear, I would say is the following:

Healing:
Healing pots, preferably CSW graduating to CCW around dlevel 25

Translocation:
Phase door (always have a stack of at least 10)
around dlevel 25 try to always have a staff of teleportation
eventually you'll want wand/rod of teleport other

Detection/utility:
Detect Evil staff (you'll want to know what's around you, and this is your best bet until you get a rod of detection)
speed potions (always buy/carry these)
wands/rods of light (super useful)
rod of illumination
rod of treasure location (not necessary but I always keep them)
rod of disarming (not necessary, but again helpful)
wand of stone to mud (ring of digging can work in a pinch, if you're one who likes to mine gold, then a digger is ok)
If you don't have see invisible, then true seeing is useful. Infravision is rarely necessary.

Offense:
Carry only your best launcher, you can leave other launchers at home along with their ammo.
hold monster: only useful for escaping, or for kiting
slow monster: grab'em and use'em, same with confuse.

Defense:
highest priority right now is finding a source of free action, even if it's an amulet of inertia. Next priority is see invisible.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2020, 21:32   #4
Petoften
Knight

Is a ring of escaping worth anything for a warrior? Fear of melee seems like a deal breaker, but maybe it has a use?
Old June 26, 2020, 23:46   #5
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
is it Angband 4.2.1 ?
In that case, Escaping has no use for a warrior. In 4.1 Escaping is a great source of money as they sell for 2900 gold each. They are also great for mages, who do not melee anyway. I guess they could also work for Rangers, as long as you carry a big stack of ammo.
Old June 27, 2020, 01:02   #6
Petoften
Knight

I had meant to run 4.2.1, but accidentally ran 4.1. I can't sell it, as I think the game has selling turned off. This would just be for a warrior.
Old June 27, 2020, 01:16   #7
Petoften
Knight

What is the third number on a ring of reckless attacks? (4, 3) (-17) guessing that's armor class? Is that worth using?
Old June 27, 2020, 03:14   #8
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoften View Post
What is the third number on a ring of reckless attacks? (4, 3) (-17) guessing that's armor class? Is that worth using?
yeah, minus to AC. situationally they can sometimes be useful
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2020, 04:08   #9
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
reckless attacks are good on warriors until you find STR and damage; in Angband two stats - armor class, and to-hit bonus - are nearly irrelevant. A ring of Accuracy +15,+0 may maybe change your to-hit chance % by a couple of points. Likewise, unless you go negative in AC, there is very little difference between AC 50, AC 100, AC 150. Getting a really high AC number, say, above AC230 does have an effect, but it's mild at best - surely mobs like Gothmog are not going to be impressed by your AC, although an orc will be.

You need some experience with the game to be able to tell that drops are not only useful/not useful of their own merit, but also compared to what else drops at the same time.

For example, my esteemed colleague here feels that Ring of the Mouse is not garbage, due to the fact that a ring with say, -6 dmg and +4 DEX, if used with a heavy weapon with a big hit dice, for example a 5d8 Mace Of Disruption, would benefit from the ring, as the +4 DEX makes you attack more often and the -6 is a small penalty.

This is mathematically correct, but does not take into consideration that by the time your character can wield a heavy weapon with the effect described above, they will have access to much better rings, for example, a simple ring of DEX, or Damage, or STR.

for the same reason, rings of reckless attacks are good (i often use two) because they drop so soon, around DL5. A low level warrior with a dagger can easily get 2.7 attacks, which is an extra 27 damage x turn with two rings +5.

btw, selling off is an option that you can turn off - i personally do not use it because i like selling big expensive stuff.
Also, give random artifacts a try. I find that randard sets are much more fun than the default standart set.
Old June 27, 2020, 06:18   #10
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
btw, selling off is an option that you can turn off - i personally do not use it because i like selling big expensive stuff.
Also, give random artifacts a try. I find that randard sets are much more fun than the default standart set.
With selling turned off (the default), you are compensated by getting more $$ from treasure you find. It's definitely worth it and saves the tediousness from having to cart stuff back to the town. Instead, keep what you need and enjoy the extra $$.

This is still (IMO) the best change made to the game.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote