Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 17, 2015, 15:59   #1
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Artifacts and Banishment

First, can monsters carry artifacts? I thought they could not, but I could be wrong...

I was in a vault which I would have expected to have a few artifacts, banished a bunch (almost all) of the monsters, and was left with 1-2 early-game artifacts at a dlvl depth of 60-65. It just seemed odd to me, although it could just be bad luck, I believe the "feeling" was 9-9, which made me think there should be something more worthwhile there, but no PDSM, Balance, etc either...
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 16:45   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
First, can monsters carry artifacts? I thought they could not, but I could be wrong...

I was in a vault which I would have expected to have a few artifacts, banished a bunch (almost all) of the monsters, and was left with 1-2 early-game artifacts at a dlvl depth of 60-65. It just seemed odd to me, although it could just be bad luck, I believe the "feeling" was 9-9, which made me think there should be something more worthwhile there, but no PDSM, Balance, etc either...
Monsters can spawn with artifacts in their inventory, but once dropped, they can't be picked up again.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 17:49   #3
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Monsters can spawn with artifacts in their inventory, but once dropped, they can't be picked up again.
I've always wondered whether the treasure feeling included the objects spawned in monster inventory as well as on the floor, or just the floor only. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 18:11   #4
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What if you banish a monster with an artifact in its inventory? Is it then lost? Or is it not lost because it was never identified or picked up by the character?
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 18:15   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What if you banish a monster with an artifact in its inventory? Is it then lost? Or is it not lost because it was never identified or picked up by the character?
If you have not learned the name of an artifact, then the artifact cannot be lost (when playing in preserve mode).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015, 22:14   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I've always wondered whether the treasure feeling included the objects spawned in monster inventory as well as on the floor, or just the floor only. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Floor only.
Old June 18, 2015, 08:29   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you have not learned the name of an artifact, then the artifact cannot be lost (when playing in preserve mode).
Also even with preserve off artifacts in monster inventory don't get lost.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015, 08:31   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:

9-9 is high, very high. Dungeon only spellbooks, speed rings and all DSM count.

It is possible that there were some very high level items that got picked up and/or trampled over by elementals/Xorn/Xaren.
Old June 18, 2015, 11:11   #9
quarague
Adept

quarague is on a distinguished road
I thought that monster drops are only generated once a monster is killed. So in that sense you can't banish a monster carrying an artifact, the game will only start rolling dice to see what the monster carried after you killed it.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015, 12:00   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
I thought that monster drops are only generated once a monster is killed.
That used to be the case, but now every monster gets its drop/inventory created when monster is created. There was some sensible reason for this change, but I can't remember what it was.