Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 23:20   #1
cofresi
Apprentice
 
cofresi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
cofresi is on a distinguished road
Posting Dumps

Is there a way to post a dump directly from a dead char savefile? I just quit/escaped the game when he died and don't think it made a dump.
__________________
He once had an awkward moment with a Morgoth, just to see what it felt like. Should he ever be cut, rubies would spill from his veins.

He is: the most Interesting @ in the world.
cofresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 08:47   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofresi View Post
Is there a way to post a dump directly from a dead char savefile? I just quit/escaped the game when he died and don't think it made a dump.
It doesn't - you need to make a dump from the death menu before quitting. But you can resurrect the character with the -w switch and then dump. The char will be marked as a cheater, but since you're not playing it, that doesn't matter.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 11:00   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It doesn't - you need to make a dump from the death menu before quitting. But you can resurrect the character with the -w switch and then dump. The char will be marked as a cheater, but since you're not playing it, that doesn't matter.
Which rings my mind one enchantment I have many times mean to mention and always forgot. When you die you should be able to start new char in that death-screen. It bugs to need to quit and start again to get back into game. I think for divers and new players that is even much more annoying than it is to me.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 14:50   #4
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin / Italy
Posts: 760
fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
It doesn't - you need to make a dump from the death menu before quitting. But you can resurrect the character with the -w switch and then dump. The char will be marked as a cheater, but since you're not playing it, that doesn't matter.
Would it break something if the game automatically saved a chardump upon death (let's say, on a file called LastDump.txt)? I can only imagine problems for people playing from a read-only medium.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 17:19   #5
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Which rings my mind one enchantment I have many times mean to mention and always forgot. When you die you should be able to start new char in that death-screen. It bugs to need to quit and start again to get back into game. I think for divers and new players that is even much more annoying than it is to me.
There is actually a bug open about allowing this. The original design of Angband makes this complicated, although we're trying to move toward being able to deallocate all the memory used by the dead character's game and then initialize a whole new game (which currently happens because the program exits and then starts again).

If you're interested I can find some related ticket numbers for you, but right now I'm busy... fixing other bugs for 3.2
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 20:43   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 7,708
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Would it break something if the game automatically saved a chardump upon death (let's say, on a file called LastDump.txt)?
FA allows you to look at the dump for your recently dead character if you re-open the savefile - and that was an easy fix.

And I agree with both Timo and d_m here
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010, 20:48   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
There is actually a bug open about allowing this. The original design of Angband makes this complicated, although we're trying to move toward being able to deallocate all the memory used by the dead character's game and then initialize a whole new game (which currently happens because the program exits and then starts again).

If you're interested I can find some related ticket numbers for you, but right now I'm busy... fixing other bugs for 3.2
It's ticket #138 - been around for a while now. We will get there one day - maybe for 3.4 or 4.0 ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
successive character dumps Garrie Oook! 1 February 19, 2008 20:05
not associating dumps with login dionysian Oook! 19 December 3, 2007 12:02
Oangband screen dumps? tigen Oook! 1 September 16, 2007 10:53
Un dumps shown as dead Bandobras Oook! 3 September 11, 2007 22:54
comment in dumps AR_chie Oook! 8 August 3, 2007 15:19


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.