Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old September 3, 2013, 18:57   #1
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Broken Targeting Mode

In at least the last two experimental builds (3.5-a7aadf4 and 3.5-1b93088) targeting mode appears broken when attempting to target a floor location rather than monster. After entering floor targeting mode and attempting to target the space just around a corner, whenever targeting is hit ('t' or '5) the result is "Target Aborted". Am I missing a change in the commands regarding floor targeting?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2013, 19:33   #2
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
In at least the last two experimental builds (3.5-a7aadf4 and 3.5-1b93088) targeting mode appears broken when attempting to target a floor location rather than monster. After entering floor targeting mode and attempting to target the space just around a corner, whenever targeting is hit ('t' or '5) the result is "Target Aborted". Am I missing a change in the commands regarding floor targeting?
Hmph. Thanks, I'll look into that.
Old September 4, 2013, 12:29   #3
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
The fix for #332 (commit 41c7461f6b40c472bfd2a2db6e1fcff87999834e) is calling target_set_monster() which clears the target if the monster is not targetable. It should probably do something more like:

Code:
             /* Legal target */
	if (cave_in_bounds_fully(cave, y, x))
	{
		struct monster *m;

/* Save target info */
		target_set = TRUE;
		target_who = NULL;
		target_y = y;
		target_x = x;

/* If there's a monster there, target that instead */
		m = cave_monster_at(cave, y, x);
		if (m && target_able(m))
			target_who = m;
	}

/* Clear target */
	else
	{
		/* Reset target info */
		target_set = FALSE;
		target_who = 0;
		target_y = 0;
		target_x = 0;
	}
Old September 4, 2013, 12:43   #4
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just checked that problem with 3.5-a7aadf4. It's exactly what I posted above: you get the message because you target a floor location around a corner, and there's a monster also on that space that you cannot see. Since the monster cannot be targeted, the action is canceled.
Old September 4, 2013, 14:23   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Is the new inability to target the monster that's just around the corner intentional? A change to address line-of-sight issues? If so, is it symmetrical, so that monsters cannot target @ when the LOS is reversed? I always considered the ability to lob a spell around a corner in some situations an adequate recompense for the fact that monsters can launch breath and spell attacks while still in walls where they were unassailable by such attacks (not to mention that they could lob spells around corners in reverse situations).
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013, 15:03   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's probably a side-effect for a bug that Takkaria cleared that personally I don't consider to be a bug, but oh well. The bug was that if you select a floor tile that a monster is on (i.e. using the "absolute" targeting system instead of the "snap-to-monster" targeting system), then the target is not cleared when the monster dies.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013, 16:19   #7
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is the new inability to target the monster that's just around the corner intentional? A change to address line-of-sight issues? If so, is it symmetrical, so that monsters cannot target @ when the LOS is reversed? I always considered the ability to lob a spell around a corner in some situations an adequate recompense for the fact that monsters can launch breath and spell attacks while still in walls where they were unassailable by such attacks (not to mention that they could lob spells around corners in reverse situations).
Fixed; thanks for the report.