Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old September 4, 2013, 17:34   #1
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Request for "Lat/Long" in Monster Detection

Has anyone looked at having the relative "latitude/longitude" position reported on monster detection as it is for object detection? I know I would find it helpful, rather than having to hunt across the screens for just where that dangerous monster happens to be. I imagine it is either an idea that's too difficult to implement, or others don't think it should play that way, but I thought I'd float the idea.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013, 20:21   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Has anyone looked at having the relative "latitude/longitude" position reported on monster detection as it is for object detection? I know I would find it helpful, rather than having to hunt across the screens for just where that dangerous monster happens to be.
I would like to have that too. It's feels right too, it's info that your char has, but you don't until you look around where he sees it, so I feel that it should be immediately apparent to you too where the monster is.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013, 21:21   #3
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I would like to have that too. It's feels right too, it's info that your char has, but you don't until you look around where he sees it, so I feel that it should be immediately apparent to you too where the monster is.
Agreed!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013, 21:41   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Maybe we could have a "radar" of sorts. It would take up one row/column at each edge of the screen; each tile in that row/column would show you either the most dangerous monster, or most interesting item, you would see if you scrolled the map in that direction. Of course it wouldn't be perfect, but I think it'd provide better at-a-glance information than the visible-monsters list does, especially as it'd be on the main display.

Unfortunately, it'd probably need to be an option so that players who still use 80x24 or the like wouldn't lose precious normal dungeon display.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2013, 06:22   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Couldn't it be done the same way object detection is currently? The subwindow with "Display Item List" shows each known or unknown item of which @ is aware and gives the relative lat/long (e.g., 2N, 12W) of the item which adjusts as @ moves. Couldn't the "Display Monster List" subwindow do the same for each monster @ sees or is aware of?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2013, 11:31   #6
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
If we don't want to, or can't, pinpoint (I guess they are often on the move, after all), what about just N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W or NW?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2013, 13:19   #7
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
I've long thought that sorting by quadrant (then relative distance) would be useful, NW, NE, SW, SE. In my case, it would make it easier to choose a direction to run in.
Old September 5, 2013, 17:13   #8
molybdenum
Apprentice

molybdenum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Couldn't it be done the same way object detection is currently? The subwindow with "Display Item List" shows each known or unknown item of which @ is aware and gives the relative lat/long (e.g., 2N, 12W) of the item which adjusts as @ moves. Couldn't the "Display Monster List" subwindow do the same for each monster @ sees or is aware of?
I just hacked this in pretty quickly into my version, so it's not that hard. However, I did only display the coordinates for individual monsters; it wouldn't make sense for multiple monsters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 12.11.05 PM.png
Views:	111
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1071  
molybdenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013, 07:15   #9
DaviddesJ
Swordsman

DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
I just hacked this in pretty quickly into my version, so it's not that hard. However, I did only display the coordinates for individual monsters; it wouldn't make sense for multiple monsters.
For multiple monsters, listing the location of the closest one would work (e.g., "8N 5E + 4 others"). Often they will be in groups anyway.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013, 17:04   #10
molybdenum
Apprentice

molybdenum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
For multiple monsters, listing the location of the closest one would work (e.g., "8N 5E + 4 others"). Often they will be in groups anyway.
That should be doable. I'll give it a shot.
molybdenum is offline   Reply With Quote