Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 22, 2014, 22:13   #1
Henadin
Rookie

Henadin is on a distinguished road
Trouble installing on linux

Hello, I'm using Elementary OS (based on ubuntu) to try and play the game. I haven't figured out a way to install it that works. I've tried the compiling.txt tutorial along with a few others online. Here's what happens

"./autogen.sh
no such file or directory"

Then I try ./configure--Seems to be working
then I go to make--no problem
make install seems to work (After using sudo command)

Perhaps I've lost the program (It doesn't show up in list) in another folder. Where might it be located?

Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.
Henadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 22:26   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
It should just run from the command line now. And the executable should be in /usr/local/games, with other stuff in /usr/local/share/angband and /usr/local/etc/angband.
Old May 23, 2014, 00:45   #3
Henadin
Rookie

Thanks! Now I have another problem. After clicking it it tells me: "Savefile block can't be read."
Old May 23, 2014, 01:07   #4
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henadin
"Savefile block can't be read."
This means that the game read the header-block of your savefile, but didn't like the name and/or version number that it found there, and so doesn't know how to properly read in the rest of the file. Are you trying to import a savefile from an older version of the game?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 02:37   #5
Henadin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
This means that the game read the header-block of your savefile, but didn't like the name and/or version number that it found there, and so doesn't know how to properly read in the rest of the file. Are you trying to import a savefile from an older version of the game?
I am not. Just trying to start a new save.
Old May 23, 2014, 03:12   #6
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I just dealt with this problem, naviagate to your Home folder, press cntrl-H, that will reveal your hidden folders, look for .angband, your save file will be in that folder, remove any saves that are in that folder and then the game should start normaly. ( I don't even have to run 3.5 from a command line, I can click on the angband icon that is located in the source directory after install, and you can start the game that way.)
Old May 23, 2014, 03:52   #7
Henadin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I just dealt with this problem, naviagate to your Home folder, press cntrl-H, that will reveal your hidden folders, look for .angband, your save file will be in that folder, remove any saves that are in that folder and then the game should start normaly. ( I don't even have to run 3.5 from a command line, I can click on the angband icon that is located in the source directory after install, and you can start the game that way.)
It works! Thanks a bunch! One more thing, how can I enable graphics? Or is that not possible on linux?
Old May 24, 2014, 02:41   #8
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I don't use graphics( I'm old school type) but it appears as if you have to compile the sdl version of angband to have graphics, x11 or curses don't have graphics. Compiling the SDL version looks just like the windows port of the game.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:43   #9
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It should just run from the command line now. And the executable should be in /usr/local/games, with other stuff in /usr/local/share/angband and /usr/local/etc/angband.
Just curious: Why does it store the binary into /usr/local/games rather than /usr/local/bin? (I see that the Linux FHS seems to imply to that the "games" directory should be there, but it seems really arbitrary and the FHS is basically obsolete on several issues and probably this one too.). I know that e.g. Arch Linux does not have /usr/local/games in the $PATH by default and so this could lead to some confusion. It also seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to separate out game binaries from the rest of everything.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014, 04:09   #10
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
Just curious: Why does it store the binary into /usr/local/games rather than /usr/local/bin? (I see that the Linux FHS seems to imply to that the "games" directory should be there, but it seems really arbitrary and the FHS is basically obsolete on several issues and probably this one too.). I know that e.g. Arch Linux does not have /usr/local/games in the $PATH by default and so this could lead to some confusion. It also seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction to separate out game binaries from the rest of everything.
There was a discussion about this several years ago where people like takkaria and Magnate had opinions, and I guess the current setup is a result of that. IIRC my contribution to the discussion was along the lines of "Whatever". I suppose I should start trying to care now.

Tags
install, linux