AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 5, 2014, 18:01   #21
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't mind "level feelings" that are the character pointing out features of the dungeon that would be (more or less) readily apparent through observation. What bugs me is when they can mystically sense that there's just generally a lot of treasure or monsters, and even worse is when they can differentiate between the two!

It's one thing to have a character who is specifically marked as having some kind of precognition or other magical sense, but most characters should not have any idea what's on the level except through observation, directly or indirectly (which includes detection spells).
Hmm, this gives me an idea, maybe this could help the weaker races, give precognition ability to elves and to a lesser extent half-elves. I think it's fair to assume that Elves can sense danger and darkness, maybe this would make the less desirable classes more playable.
Old June 5, 2014, 19:37   #22
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I really don't see the need for a bigger home, you really only keep a couple artifacs for each type to swap euqipment by endgame. Alot of the artifacts actualy become pretty useless once you find the more powerful artifacts, I never have a problem runnning out of room, because I only keep what I absolutely must have.
I always run out of room and I get extremely tired of the "spend 15 minutes in town just deciding what to throw out". In a few of my past randart(!) games I've wasted hours (cumulative) deciding on which randarts to keep since it can be very hard to cover all necessary resists. For me at least, it would improve the game a lot if you could just dump stuff at home.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014, 20:46   #23
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
I always run out of room and I get extremely tired of the "spend 15 minutes in town just deciding what to throw out". In a few of my past randart(!) games I've wasted hours (cumulative) deciding on which randarts to keep since it can be very hard to cover all necessary resists. For me at least, it would improve the game a lot if you could just dump stuff at home.
If my memory is correct, originally, waaaaay back, there wasn't even a home '8' in town long, long ago.

Anyway, you're going to run into 2 camps here.

One is the Olde Guarde that lays claim the lack of storage space is indeed part of the game, forcing players to make choices on what to toss, what to keep. That 'risk management' IS a viable aspect of the game. If I toss this, can I still do that.

The other side is more-or-less, the Lay-Z Playerz Guilde that will get up in front of a congressional hearing and fire back, "what difference, at this point, does it make?!?! Just let us store stuff if we want.. if you want to play the No Hold'Em game, go right ahead, but let us hold all the cards we want."

I'm kind of inbetween---I'm both Old and Lazy.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014, 21:50   #24
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Does anyone disagree that a significantly larger home would make the game significantly easier?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014, 22:04   #25
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i don't play Randarts, so that could be the difference, when I play it's either standarts or no artifacts at all, but I can see the need to want to keep everything on a randart game, with standarts you pretty much know what your going to find eventually.

I could go with the option of buying back dropped artifacts that you dumped out of the home for a hefty price. I think Home inventory is like character inventory, you have limits on what you carry around and what you can store at home so you have to make important choices and it could turn deadly if its the wrong choices. So yeah call me part of the old guard I guess, but I like the current limitations as it is, but I think the ability to buy back old artifacts could give a reason for the actual need for money.
Old June 5, 2014, 23:42   #26
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
So if the current size was kept as the default, and there was a birth option that allowed you to set your own size, everyone would be happy. Except for the people who like telling other people how to play
Old June 6, 2014, 00:30   #27
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So if the current size was kept as the default, and there was a birth option that allowed you to set your own size, everyone would be happy. Except for the people who like telling other people how to play
Ah, but I need saving from myself!
If I could dramatically enlarge the home, I probably would. And I don't want that because I think it would reduce game tension, make the game too easy and ultimately decrease my enjoyment of the game.

But maybe I'm just weird and deranged?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 02:42   #28
Lionmaruu
Scout

Lionmaruu is on a distinguished road
The game is really fun as of it is now, but I have two sugestions about what would work and maybe balance level feelings and home size:

To be toggled in birth options:

1-No shop (At all), but BIG home;

2-No scumming (once a level is generated that's it so your level will be exact the same doenst matter how many times you go up or down stairs, it never changes and monsters stop spawning there if you killed them all), BUT better or even detailed level feelings.

Playing both options on (no shop AND no scumming) would be very fun and really have the potential of making the game really challenging, good for the veterans.

Of course those should be birth options not enforced to the "normal" game, as I think level scumming is part of Angband, having it off would be refreshing for a change.
Lionmaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 04:31   #29
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Sure, make it a birth option. I suppose there could be a few options: "No home" (but isn't that effectively one of the ironman options?), "Standard" and "Huge" (say 8 pages or whatever).

It does make sense for people who want to restrict their own behavior in-game, but cannot resist the temptation. However, it might set a bad precendent regarding option-creep .

Oh, and I'm probably "old guard" too (though not vanilla, I started on ToME 2.x), I just see greater value in the recent trend to remove annoying game behavior that adds very little interest. If you're playing standarts the "home inventory" minigame is almost trivial and if you're playing randarts (unspoiled) you spend way to much agonizing over oft-unknowable choices.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 05:07   #30
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sure, make it a birth option. I suppose there could be a few options: "No home" (but isn't that effectively one of the ironman options?), "Standard" and "Huge" (say 8 pages or whatever).

It does make sense for people who want to restrict their own behavior in-game, but cannot resist the temptation. However, it might set a bad precendent regarding option-creep .
I'm actually looking at a whole new way of handling birth options - allowing altering numerical values, having an externally editable file, etc.