Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2014, 06:46   #31
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Chaos Breath x3

I'm quite sure there is a bug where chaos breath is counted thrice in the current 3.5 code. I don't have the time to chase it down at the moment, but unless one has RChaos & ~500HPs to spare, any chaos breath is hazardous to one's @ health.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 15:52   #32
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,549
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
I'm quite sure there is a bug where chaos breath is counted thrice in the current 3.5 code. I don't have the time to chase it down at the moment, but unless one has RChaos & ~500HPs to spare, any chaos breath is hazardous to one's @ health.
Nope, it's just that it applies three different effects (confuse, hallucinate, drain life), each of which can be resisted individually, so you get three messages.

The chaos breath damage cap is quite high, so monsters with lots of HP that can breathe it (e.g. Great Wyrms of Chaos/Balance) can do serious damage. It's also (I'm pretty sure) one of those variable/random resists, so even if you have chaos resistance you can take a lot of damage.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 17:38   #33
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Nope, it's just that it applies three different effects (confuse, hallucinate, drain life), each of which can be resisted individually, so you get three messages.

The chaos breath damage cap is quite high, so monsters with lots of HP that can breathe it (e.g. Great Wyrms of Chaos/Balance) can do serious damage. It's also (I'm pretty sure) one of those variable/random resists, so even if you have chaos resistance you can take a lot of damage.
Ok, so RChaos is no longer RChaos, then? To effectively resist chaos, RConf, HLife, and RHallucinate is now required?
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 17:56   #34
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,549
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
Ok, so RChaos is no longer RChaos, then? To effectively resist chaos, RConf, HLife, and RHallucinate is now required?
Every elemental resistance gives you protection from the effects of that element. So rChaos gives:

* Some variable damage reduction against chaos attacks
* Protection from hallucination as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by a Mushroom of Emergency)
* Protection from confusion as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by monsters casting Confuse)
* Protection from life draining as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by nether attacks or melee drain-life touch attacks)

If you have pConf but not rChaos, then chaos attacks won't confuse you, but you'll still take full damage, start hallucinating, and will lose some experience (barring also having Hold Life).

This is probably being overly verbose, but I hope there's no confusion (er, so to speak) now.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 18:18   #35
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
PDSM got squelched.

On the ground: Power Dragon Scale Mail (-3) [60, +23] {squelch}.

I double-checked my squelch settings for DSM: 'excellent with no high resists'.
PDSM (among others like BalanceDSM) does have 'high resists'. Granted, this DSM would otherwise be 'good', quality-wise. But, some DSMs do have a number of higher resists.

Anyway, glad I took a double-take on that message.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 18:24   #36
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Every elemental resistance gives you protection from the effects of that element. So rChaos gives:

* Some variable damage reduction against chaos attacks
* Protection from hallucination as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by a Mushroom of Emergency)
* Protection from confusion as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by monsters casting Confuse)
* Protection from life draining as caused by chaos attacks (e.g. not as caused by nether attacks or melee drain-life touch attacks)

If you have pConf but not rChaos, then chaos attacks won't confuse you, but you'll still take full damage, start hallucinating, and will lose some experience (barring also having Hold Life).

This is probably being overly verbose, but I hope there's no confusion (er, so to speak) now.
Ok - thank you for spelling that out. It still seems like I'm taking an awful lot more damage than the 1/3rd resistance damage I should be for having rChaos on. If I didn't know any better (and I probably don't), I'd say I'm taking 1/3rd damage each time the code checks for those 3 effects.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 19:12   #37
EpicMan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 345
EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
Ok - thank you for spelling that out. It still seems like I'm taking an awful lot more damage than the 1/3rd resistance damage I should be for having rChaos on. If I didn't know any better (and I probably don't), I'd say I'm taking 1/3rd damage each time the code checks for those 3 effects.
You're not, because chaos resistance doesn't block 2/3rds of the damage. I couldn't figure out the exact range but it looks like chaos resistance blocks X / 6ths of damage, where X can be as low as 1 and as high as something(5?).

It would be much more intuitive if high resists blocked a fixed percentage of damage (and if it was the same % across the high resists). Setting it to 2/3rds protection might nerf high damage types too much, but making it something like 1/2 protection might be good.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 20:10   #38
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,095
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
On the ground: Power Dragon Scale Mail (-3) [60, +23] {squelch}.

I double-checked my squelch settings for DSM: 'excellent with no high resists'.
PDSM (among others like BalanceDSM) does have 'high resists'. Granted, this DSM would otherwise be 'good', quality-wise. But, some DSMs do have a number of higher resists.

Anyway, glad I took a double-take on that message.
This intensely annoys me as well!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 20:32   #39
Malak Darkhunter
Knight
 
Malak Darkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: US
Age: 41
Posts: 720
Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
On the ground: Power Dragon Scale Mail (-3) [60, +23] {squelch}.

I double-checked my squelch settings for DSM: 'excellent with no high resists'.
PDSM (among others like BalanceDSM) does have 'high resists'. Granted, this DSM would otherwise be 'good', quality-wise. But, some DSMs do have a number of higher resists.

Anyway, glad I took a double-take on that message.
This is why I don't use squelch that much on armor or weapon types, happend to me before as well.
__________________
let me try this workaround...oh crap computer just went black
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014, 21:41   #40
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
You're not, because chaos resistance doesn't block 2/3rds of the damage. I couldn't figure out the exact range but it looks like chaos resistance blocks X / 6ths of damage, where X can be as low as 1 and as high as something(5?).

It would be much more intuitive if high resists blocked a fixed percentage of damage (and if it was the same % across the high resists). Setting it to 2/3rds protection might nerf high damage types too much, but making it something like 1/2 protection might be good.
Ok--seems like I'm being naive on the damage resistances then. Good thing I haven't walked into a pit of Jabberwockies. It just seems that everytime I had a chaos breath from a pit fiend, unlike any other breath attack, chaos had taken an unusually high HP damage toll on my poor little @ symbol, that I began to wonder whether chaos had been tweaked incidentally or intentionally.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.