Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old June 6, 2014, 23:14   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
This is probably being overly verbose, but I hope there's no confusion (er, so to speak) now.
I think you made that joke in TANG
Old June 6, 2014, 23:16   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I think you made that joke in TANG
Well, that just goes to show that my sense of humor hasn't changed much in the last 15 years, then...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014, 02:17   #43
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure why but targeting isn't working for me using the * key to target, hitting the #5 key on keyboard usually works to fire the missle after you target, but it does nothing....is there any other commands to try to fire at your target?
Old June 7, 2014, 02:29   #44
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You can also hit Enter to select a target.

Have you checked if numlock is on? That might explain problems with the numeric keypad.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014, 03:16   #45
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You can also hit Enter to select a target.

Have you checked if numlock is on? That might explain problems with the numeric keypad.
yes indeed, it was the numlock, thanks...my numlock key dosen't light up on my keypad, so overlooked it..I've played all the way to DL 70 without targeting!
Old June 8, 2014, 17:44   #46
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
< gv >

I'm going to hate myself for mentioning this later, because it will essentially make the game much, much harder. To the point that many of the GVs will have to be revamped.

But, here it goes.

To make vaults, special vaults (everything listed in vault.txt) that much harder & more appealing to the experienced player, make them enter-able & exit-able only via special stairs. (Keep the '>' & '<' symbols, but make them a special color '>' & '<' for example.)

In a level where a special vault from vault.txt is to be generated, rather than include that vault in the drawing of the level, place, instead, that magical doorway leading into the vault. Do NOT render the vault in the level mapping.

When a player '@' descends into a magical doorway, place them at a specified starting point inside the vault. The only way OUT of a vault is via a magical staircase elsewhere in the vault (perhaps the starting point, up to the vault designer) OR via Recall / Telep Level / Deep Descent / Alter Reality spells.

Note: entering a Vault's magic doorway essentially leaves the prior level, though Max Depth does not change. Leaving a Vault also does not modify Max Depth, but one leaves a Vault into a new dungeon (as if Alter Reality had been cast).

In this way, Vaults would become labyrinth levels with defined dimensions. Phase door would do little to rescue a wayward @ in trouble. This way, Vaults do NOT reveal their dimensions (or contents) prior to stepping into them---the player only sees the '>' on the main dungeon level. The player has no idea what horrors lie behind that > symbol.

A lot of rework & play testing would need to be done, otherwise, I have a feeling a great number of those Vaults would indeed be death traps for even the most experienced players.

This, however, makes level feelings practically irrelevant unless something dramatic is already on that level. A player would only know of a Vault door if s/he comes across one... the contents of which are completely unknowable until stepping through that door.

Perhaps to make it slightly easier on the player a Vault's level could be forewarned with different colors of '>>>>>'.

Like I said---I'm gonna hate myself later for suggesting this, but I think that would be one way to both solve issues with level feelings & trying to draw dungeons around Vaults in general.

Last edited by Spacebux; June 8, 2014 at 17:53.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014, 19:06   #47
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
I'm going to hate myself for mentioning this later, because it will essentially make the game much, much harder. To the point that many of the GVs will have to be revamped.

But, here it goes.

To make vaults, special vaults (everything listed in vault.txt) that much harder & more appealing to the experienced player, make them enter-able & exit-able only via special stairs. (Keep the '>' & '<' symbols, but make them a special color '>' & '<' for example.)

In a level where a special vault from vault.txt is to be generated, rather than include that vault in the drawing of the level, place, instead, that magical doorway leading into the vault. Do NOT render the vault in the level mapping.

When a player '@' descends into a magical doorway, place them at a specified starting point inside the vault. The only way OUT of a vault is via a magical staircase elsewhere in the vault (perhaps the starting point, up to the vault designer) OR via Recall / Telep Level / Deep Descent / Alter Reality spells.

Note: entering a Vault's magic doorway essentially leaves the prior level, though Max Depth does not change. Leaving a Vault also does not modify Max Depth, but one leaves a Vault into a new dungeon (as if Alter Reality had been cast).

In this way, Vaults would become labyrinth levels with defined dimensions. Phase door would do little to rescue a wayward @ in trouble. This way, Vaults do NOT reveal their dimensions (or contents) prior to stepping into them---the player only sees the '>' on the main dungeon level. The player has no idea what horrors lie behind that > symbol.

A lot of rework & play testing would need to be done, otherwise, I have a feeling a great number of those Vaults would indeed be death traps for even the most experienced players.

This, however, makes level feelings practically irrelevant unless something dramatic is already on that level. A player would only know of a Vault door if s/he comes across one... the contents of which are completely unknowable until stepping through that door.

Perhaps to make it slightly easier on the player a Vault's level could be forewarned with different colors of '>>>>>'.

Like I said---I'm gonna hate myself later for suggesting this, but I think that would be one way to both solve issues with level feelings & trying to draw dungeons around Vaults in general.
I think that is a very interesting idea, very fun, but at the same time if the wrong uniques are in the vault it could also be pure hell...but I for one like your idea.

Sangband has something similar to this called "scrolls of questing" you read a scroll and you are teleported to a themed level, usually very difficult with lots of uniques, powerful ego items, and artifacts are generated, it is a "special feeling" type level, I have always loved this about that game.

If this could potentialy make the game more interesting and more fun then I'm all for it.
Old June 8, 2014, 21:50   #48
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
And why would anyone want to enter that vault ?
Angband is about estimating risk/reward ratio and only doing things with a high ratio. In the current vault zoo there are some that I never touch simply because they are too dangerous for the reward they offer. Your proposed vaults would just make that list longer.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014, 23:19   #49
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
< gv >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
And why would anyone want to enter that vault ?
Angband is about estimating risk/reward ratio and only doing things with a high ratio. In the current vault zoo there are some that I never touch simply because they are too dangerous for the reward they offer. Your proposed vaults would just make that list longer.
Well, that's just it. Typically better treasure lies in wait in vaults. The higher the risk, the higher the reward.

Like I stated, some of the current vaults would have to be reworked considerably. Many of them would be death traps.

Caps could be tighter on O.o.D. mobs and mob counts. Certain 'safe' zones could be constructed for the player to seek out. 'Hellpit', for example, is hard enough in vanilla now. I seriously doubt that would translate well into a Vault-level without reworking the walls / zoning / mob counts.

We would still have the regular vaults, and maybe the Disguised Checkerboard, Hallway, and Diagonal vaults, e.g., could stay as is in the current form, as part of the dungeon. The Medium Vaults & Greater Vaults, I think would benefit most from being separated out into their own levels.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014, 00:03   #50
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I think the reason checkerboards are so popular isnt because of their high risk/reward ratio - it isnt that good - but mostly because the risk can readily be estimated. In the next cell theres the Phoenix. If I open it, he can use his move to fry me, if I manage to get a hokeystick, I have a 95% chance to safely -to him away etc.

Many of the big sized vaults have less nasties and easier ways to get rid of them even if you cant fight them head on, but it involves a long slog of fighting where many things can go wrong and chances are you end up stuck and have to abandon the whole attempt without getting at any treasure.

Some of your proposed changes are directed at disguising the risk. I question wether this is a good idea. This will make them very unpopular and high on the "avoid" ranking, and the player is going to wait till something he can gauge comes along and not blindly blunder into deadly situations.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote