Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 5, 2020, 15:35   #51
Cuboideb
Scout

Cuboideb is on a distinguished road
This applies for blood falcons when playing a spellcaster?
Cuboideb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2020, 18:15   #52
Eric
Rookie

Eric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Non-unique monsters generate with slightly random speeds, so you might have rolled a soldier with +1 speed.
Cool, thanks! Is there a way to check what speed those non-uniques have (like -Probe)?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2020, 18:28   #53
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Cool, thanks! Is there a way to check what speed those non-uniques have (like -Probe)?
Probe works in some variants, I think there's no way to do it in V though.
Old August 15, 2020, 06:03   #54
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Latest build for macOS is on the nightlies page, for Windows here, source here, and updated on angband.live. Many fixes, and several of the changes discussed elsewhere are included. Remaining known bugs are listed here, please let me know if any others are unfixed.

Since this fixes a few bugs that were causing crashes (notably in Single Combat), I am planning to release 4.2.2 once everything obvious is fixed.
Old August 15, 2020, 07:44   #55
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
4.2.2 came a lot faster than I expected. I really wanted to fix the Leap into Battle exploit, if no one else has yet.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2020, 07:52   #56
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I really wanted to fix the Leap into Battle exploit, if no one else has yet.
That got done here.

EDIT: As for 4.2.2 coming out quickly, the only reasons are that there were nasty crash bugs in Single Combat that I don't like being in the official version, and version numbers are cheap. It is unlikely to be the last 4.2.x, but I'll still try and make it as complete as possible.

Last edited by Nick; August 15, 2020 at 07:59. Reason: Further explanation
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2020, 17:24   #57
DavidMedley
Knight

Sounds great!!!

(Especially the part where someone else did the work to fix my embarrassing error)
Old August 15, 2020, 18:12   #58
DavidMedley
Knight

I love the "on hit apply effect" change! Pretty serious nerf to these spells, though, without any compensation.

Stating the obvious here: Maim used to average 8 turns of stun. Now for CL 15-29 it's only 3 times maybe 75%. For CL 45+ it averages 9 times the hit percentage.

Each hit applying the effect was one of my options for this spell, but I think it's hard to scale it properly now that I see this implementation. It'll either be too weak early or too strong late. I think a better choice would be "if any of these blows hit then the monster is stunned for X turns." And I still like the wand duration of 1d5+5. I also like using 6s and 13s for thematic reasons. If the duration needs to be cut then we could use one of these like 1d13 or 1d6+2.

I'll have to try it out to have an informed opinion. If you green light it, Nick, I can make and test alterations along these lines, especially after you've done the hard work of programming it!

Last edited by DavidMedley; August 16, 2020 at 01:04.
Old August 16, 2020, 00:48   #59
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I love the "on hit apply effect" change! Pretty serious nerf to these spells, though, without any compensation.

Stating the obvious here: Maim used to average 8 turns of stun. Now for CL 15-29 it's only 3 times maybe 75%. For CL 45+ it averages 9 times the hit percentage.

Each hit applying the effect was one of my options for this spell, but I think it's hard to scale it properly now that I see this implementation. It'll either be too weak early or too strong late. I think a better choice would be "if any of these blows hit then the monster is stunned for X turns." And I still like the wand duration of 1d5+5. I also like using 6s and 13s for thematic reasons. If the duration needs to be cut then we child use one of these like 1d13 or 1d6+2.

I'll have to try it out to have an informed opinion. If you green light it, Nick, I can make and test alterations along these lines, especially after you've done the hard work of programming it!
Sure, try it out and see how it goes. It'll probably be at least a week or two before I'm organised enough to get 4.2.2 actually out (as well as the listed bugs, I want to have a bit of a look at randarts).
Old August 20, 2020, 06:57   #60
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Latest build for macOS is on the nightlies page, for Windows here, source here, and updated on angband.live. Many fixes, and several of the changes discussed elsewhere are included. Remaining known bugs are listed here, please let me know if any others are unfixed.

Since this fixes a few bugs that were causing crashes (notably in Single Combat), I am planning to release 4.2.2 once everything obvious is fixed.
I wish you had listed what the "several changes discussed elsewhere" were. I had to discover the hard way that quaffing CSW or CCW was killing my ironman character with hunger. Personally, I find this latest change to the hunger mechanic completed f*ckd.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote