Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 7, 2009, 02:41   #1
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Azriel, Angel of Death (offscreen) pushes past something. <215x>

Could we please remove the "Foo pushes past bar" messages? Or at the very least, turn them off when the creatures in question are out of LOS? They make resting a pain when you have telepathy, and I'm not really seeing what they add to the game.

(Version is "3.1.1 dev"; I just downloaded the source from here)
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 03:17   #2
tummychow
Apprentice

tummychow is on a distinguished road
Good idea. Put it as an option maybe (especially after 215 tramples). That's never happened to me, thank goodness.
tummychow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 04:13   #3
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
what version are you using. I thought that problem was fixed on the .1626 beta release. You can download it here:

http://rephial.org/
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 04:14   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Go directly to rephial.org and get a better executable. If you want the quiver and are willing to put up with likely instabilities, download a nightly. Otherwise get the version on the front page.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 19:01   #5
Colbey
Apprentice

Colbey is on a distinguished road
It's actually been a problem for a little while, I think, that you have to choose between the nightlies (which, as is often states here, can be unstable and/or unbalanced) and the last release. The last release often has some annoying bug that was quickly and sometimes easily fixed in the nightlies, but that leaves people who only want balanced releases to wait months for the fix. (In 3.1.0 is was the heavy curse that could never go away; in 3.1.1 it seems to be the pushing past thing.)

Is there any way that bug-fix releases can be made to the main version while new development is happening in parallel? Some sort of version control branching, maybe?
Colbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 22:08   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbey View Post
It's actually been a problem for a little while, I think, that you have to choose between the nightlies (which, as is often states here, can be unstable and/or unbalanced) and the last release. The last release often has some annoying bug that was quickly and sometimes easily fixed in the nightlies, but that leaves people who only want balanced releases to wait months for the fix. (In 3.1.0 is was the heavy curse that could never go away; in 3.1.1 it seems to be the pushing past thing.)

Is there any way that bug-fix releases can be made to the main version while new development is happening in parallel? Some sort of version control branching, maybe?
C'mon guys, give Takkaria a break - 3.1.1 was updated twice with bug fixes soon after release - including this one ('pushes past' and 'tramples' messages now only occur for monsters in LOS). At some point a release has to be put out, even though it can never be 100% bug-free. Ok so there were no bugfix releases of 3.1.0, but that was because 3.1.1 was intended to be released earlier than it was. There have been bugfixes of 3.1.1, and AFAIK there are no show-stopping bugs in 3.1.1.1626. My understanding is that Takkaria will release 3.1.2 not too long after he returns.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009, 22:36   #7
Colbey
Apprentice

Colbey is on a distinguished road
Gotcha. I apologize. Clearly my information is a bit out of date -- I haven't had a chance to play since right after 3.1.1 came out, and didn't realize there'd been a bug fix release. I still had a bad taste in my mouth from trying to find the most stable nightly every so often while 3.1.1 was in development, but clearly I should've checked to see if the issue was fixed before I posted.

The download links here at oook should be updated, though.
Colbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2009, 11:22   #8
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbey View Post
The download links here at oook should be updated, though.
Yes, they should