Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old July 12, 2018, 16:38   #1
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
A suggestion appears out of nowhere!

My Dwarf Paladin was just eyeing up a copy of Ethereal Openings in the Black Market, but I haven't got enough gold to buy it. Then I thought, "It would be cool if I could put it on layaway!"

Which led me to think about how that might work in the game. Set a minimum percentage of the price for a down payment. You make the down payment and that item remains in the shop; however, you have a limited number of turns to come back and make another payment. If you don't get back in time, or if you don't have enough gold when you get back, the item vanishes from the shop.

You could even add interest by having the price rise a little more each time you return to make a payment. You could theoretically make the down payment a really minimal amount via game preferences, but the more times you come back to make a small payment, the more the final price of the item rises, so you have to use good judgment to avoid wasting money on things you have no reasonable chance of being able to find enough treasure in time to pay off.

Just a random thought. I have no idea whether anybody else would find this even remotely amusing, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018, 20:44   #2
OmniNegro
Rookie

OmniNegro is on a distinguished road
Some variants have this already. If the developers on Angband want this, they can literally steal the code from one of the many variants that have it already.

In particular, Composband and Frogcomposband have this. But they use a different language for the code. (Similar, but there are probably problems getting the code to work without some tweaking.)

Still, it would not be difficult for any competent programmer. I just doubt they want this feature. Sorry.
OmniNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 12:36   #3
gglibertine
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniNegro View Post
Still, it would not be difficult for any competent programmer. I just doubt they want this feature. Sorry.
Well, I guess you showed me. What you showed me is perhaps not what you intended to show me, but hey, knowledge is power.
Old July 15, 2018, 19:51   #4
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Well, there's a sort-of-precedent in FAAngband in that you could "order" items, but...

My personal opinion: The whole shopping thing is just a distraction from playing the game. Don't get me wrong, it can offer a little bit of excitement, but I think the game design should strive to avoid shopping even being a thing. (Unless shopping is a central tenet of the game's design, of course.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 00:37   #5
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
I think the game design should strive to avoid shopping even being a thing. (Unless shopping is a central tenet of the game's design, of course.)
At this point IMO the primary purpose of the town is to remove the incentive players might otherwise have to scum "safe" dungeon levels for consumables. The Black Market is therefore kind of an outlier and/or vestige of earlier iterations of the game design, but I guess not having it would mean that money is even more pointless than it currently is. Plus of course the players that enjoy shopping would not appreciate its removal.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 01:36   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Without the town, it's be very hard to get started in the game. There are three parts of the town: the black market, the regular stores, and home. Even ironman would be affected without the early stack of PD and CLW, as well as such niceties as a weapon of the correct weight and PB2 for priests and paladins. The black market just adds a little nice randomness, providing the occasional stack of !Speed or ?Tele level. Or perhaps a ring of res poison, or a wand of TO. I dont think any obsessing about it will improve the game, though.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 08:16   #7
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
In PWMAngband you can order items from the Expensive (x15 price) Black Market. Useful for casters (dungeon books) or simply to get deep consumables if you lack them for the endgame. This also works for items already in stock (they get marked and don't disappear from stock until bought).
Old July 16, 2018, 09:56   #8
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
At this point IMO the primary purpose of the town is to remove the incentive players might otherwise have to scum "safe" dungeon levels for consumables. The Black Market is therefore kind of an outlier and/or vestige of earlier iterations of the game design, but I guess not having it would mean that money is even more pointless than it currently is. Plus of course the players that enjoy shopping would not appreciate its removal.
The black market is an innovation, not a vestigal remnant.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 12:31   #9
gglibertine
Adept

At the risk of sounding stereotypically female, I find the shops really valuable and the Black Market indispensable. I often find myself reaching DL40 or lower without having found a decent shooter. Sometimes a Ring of Flames, Ice, Lightning, or Acid can fill in that one resistance I haven't been able to cover (and provide a handy area attack in the process). The occasional stat potion can provide a much-needed bonus boost at an earlier level than I'd be able to find it in the dungeon.

I think the usefulness of shops depends on your play style, and I like to come back to the town every few dungeon levels to offload stuff I might want later (like a weapon or armor that's too heavy for me to use at my current STR, or spare rods in case the ones I'm carrying get destroyed) and pick up more ammo.

I don't think adding a 'layaway' feature makes anything unnecessarily complicated or qualifies as "obsessing" over shopping. I just thought it was a neat idea and figured I'd throw it out there and see what other people think.

Apparently most of you think it's pants. Fair enough. But I would point out that there are a lot of different ways to play Angband, and for those of us who go slow but steady instead of taking a deep dive the first chance we get, the town is an important tool. Don't assume that your way is the only way.
Old July 20, 2018, 12:47   #10
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I like or dislike shops depending on the variant. If it's got a world-map I'll usually enjoy shops for the thematics. If it's single dungeon I'm usually after a faster game.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote