Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2021, 13:43   #31
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,169
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
Is there a specific command to return to normal form as a druid or do I have to try to do something I'm not able to in shifted form?
'm' will do it - or, as you say, any command which gives the prompt to return to normal.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2021, 20:05   #32
Bill Peterson
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 133
Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
What's the trick, if any, to identifying rings and staves? It appears that you have to be wearing or using them at exactly the time when the proper circumstance happens. The only thing that makes this mechanic tolerable is that the ones that are hard to ID aren't that useful.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021, 00:53   #33
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,212
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
What's the trick, if any, to identifying rings and staves? It appears that you have to be wearing or using them at exactly the time when the proper circumstance happens. The only thing that makes this mechanic tolerable is that the ones that are hard to ID aren't that useful.
Sell 'em.
As you say, if it's not immediately obvious on first use, it's probably not that useful.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021, 01:04   #34
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,591
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There are only two such rings you are likely to use:
* resist fire and cold in the early game
* resist poison in the midgame.
Both are trivially easy to ID by use.
Otherwise just ignore them. They arent even worth the pack space to ID by selling.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021, 02:18   #35
Bill Peterson
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 133
Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Sell 'em.
As you say, if it's not immediately obvious on first use, it's probably not that useful.
(sound of hand slapping forehead)
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021, 22:38   #36
sffp
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: DC Area
Posts: 241
sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
There are only two such rings you are likely to use:
* resist fire and cold in the early game
* resist poison in the midgame.
Both are trivially easy to ID by use.
Otherwise just ignore them. They arent even worth the pack space to ID by selling.
One other addition that will be useful (til it's not)
* Free Action

Other passive type rings: (not really useful)
Feather Fall
Soulkeeping

The ones you really want: (not passive)

Damage
Strength
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2021, 23:17   #37
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,591
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@SFFP
Good quality Ring of Mouse. I was wearing one instead of =speed in my current mage. I eventually replaced it with =CON<+5>, for +100HP. Dropped from Legendary to Heroic stealth, and I can definitely tell the difference: no more sneaking past sleeping Hellhounds and the like.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2021, 03:12   #38
sffp
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: DC Area
Posts: 241
sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@SFFP
Good quality Ring of Mouse. I was wearing one instead of =speed in my current mage. I eventually replaced it with =CON<+5>, for +100HP. Dropped from Legendary to Heroic stealth, and I can definitely tell the difference: no more sneaking past sleeping Hellhounds and the like.
For rogues especially - getting to legendary is so important.
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2021, 19:15   #39
Kaiman
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Texas
Posts: 2
Kaiman is on a distinguished road
A bunch of possibly dumb questions by a newbie.

How exactly do weapons work. I have a Dagger that says "1d4 (+9 +12) [+10]"

Ok, so I think it first rolls (based on my dexterity and the "___ chance to hit such a creature in melee" stat?) to see if I hit the target or miss, and the weapon gets a +9% chance to this roll? Then if I hit, it rolls a random number from 1 to 4 and increments by +12? Or do I have the 9 and 12 switched around? And what does the [+10] do?

Is there anyway to renew/repair a damaged helmet, shield, etc, or is the only hope to find/buy a better one?

Speaking of buying - I'm not very far into the game and pretty much everything at the shops is either unusable by my character or worse than the gear I already have. So at this point are the shops just worthless and my only way of improving my gear is to grind until I get lucky random drops of better stuff? If that's the case, then what is the point of all this gold I'm finding. It seems I will be unable to spend it unless there are shops with way better swag at lower levels that I haven't found yet.

And then speaking of unusable - why are most of the spellbooks, tomes, etc, grayed out? I've already Gained all the Spells from the only 2 books my character can use - how do I go about gaining higher level spells if I can't even use the books?

Is there a way to do a *one-time* centering of the screen on my hero? I don't want continual centering but occasionally when I'm near the edge it would be nice to re-center it.

And then finally, how do I gain strength and speed? My character can't carry all that much for being an 8-foot tall ubermensch, and I end up having to drop a crapton of useful items just to avoid speed penalties. Is this also a case of grinding until I get a lucky drop from some gear that boosts my stats?
Kaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2021, 19:34   #40
Julian
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 89
Julian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiman View Post
A bunch of possibly dumb questions by a newbie.

How exactly do weapons work. I have a Dagger that says "1d4 (+9 +12) [+10]"

Ok, so I think it first rolls (based on my dexterity and the "___ chance to hit such a creature in melee" stat?) to see if I hit the target or miss, and the weapon gets a +9% chance to this roll?
So, to-hit calculations are weird and complicated. If you look at the character screen, it says "To hit: X +Y"

The X is your base chance to hit, based on race and class and level. The +Y is your bonus from stats and equipment. Your to-hit skill is the base plus three times the bonus. (For reasons.) The plusses are not straight percentage changes.

It then generates a random number based on this, compares it to the targets armor class (with some extra calculations involved), and if it beats the target’s AC, you hit.

I am simplifying here.

Quote:
Then if I hit, it rolls a random number from 1 to 4 and increments by +12?
Yes. Damage is easy to understand.

If you don’t worry about critical hits. (It’s not worth worrying about critical hits.)

There are likely other plusses to your damage from stats and other gear; the total plus is in the character screen.

Quote:
And what does the [+10] do?
Adds to your armor class, making you harder to hit.

Quote:
Is there anyway to renew/repair a damaged helmet, shield, etc, or is the only hope to find/buy a better one?
Enchant armor scrolls will raise the plus, but by +9, raising it further gets very improbable, and by +15 it gets impossible.

Early gear usually ends up being replaced rather than repaired.

Quote:
Speaking of buying - I'm not very far into the game and pretty much everything at the shops is either unusable by my character or worse than the gear I already have. So at this point are the shops just worthless and my only way of improving my gear is to grind until I get lucky random drops of better stuff? If that's the case, then what is the point of all this gold I'm finding. It seems I will be unable to spend it unless there are shops with way better swag at lower levels that I haven't found yet.
Consumable items and the black market are the main uses for money; I have found boots of speed in the armor shop, so it’s worth checking, but stores and money are not very useful by mid-game.

In general, you’ll get most of your kit from killing things and taking their stuff. Uniques are one of the main sources of early weapons and armor, but everything gets better as you go deeper.

Quote:
And then speaking of unusable - why are most of the spellbooks, tomes, etc, grayed out? I've already Gained all the Spells from the only 2 books my character can use - how do I go about gaining higher level spells if I can't even use the books?
There are more books, but you cannot buy them.

Quote:
Is there a way to do a *one-time* centering of the screen on my hero? I don't want continual centering but occasionally when I'm near the edge it would be nice to re-center it.
Either control-L or @, depending on which command set you use.

Quote:
And then finally, how do I gain strength and speed? My character can't carry all that much for being an 8-foot tall ubermensch, and I end up having to drop a crapton of useful items just to avoid speed penalties. Is this also a case of grinding until I get a lucky drop from some gear that boosts my stats?
Gear is one way, but you mostly have to optimize your inventory better until you get deeper in the dungeon.

Last edited by Julian; August 30, 2021 at 19:40.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running thread warrior run little questions Petoften Vanilla 62 July 8, 2020 01:37
noobery (dumb questions) Kneller Sil 22 April 18, 2014 11:04
One Russian Angbander's Thread (mostly questions here) Stan Belik Vanilla 29 May 13, 2012 01:49
Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread karmatic Vanilla 21 February 4, 2010 21:31
You might be a dumb fighter if... slashme Vanilla 8 February 27, 2008 18:41


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.