Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old September 12, 2021, 19:09   #301
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
The spoilers use a slightly different format, outright giving the damage as 1d80+50.

In theory, that would be a nice format for the regular monster recall too; but there are some problems with it. One, an average damage is easier to adjust for resistances. Two, if I started displaying mana bolt damage as a range, say 51-130, I'd have to start displaying almost all spell damages as ranges... since even spells (or breaths) with non-random initial damage effectively develop a (small) range when resistance randomness is accounted for. Three, if I *did* display almost everything as a range, it would give players false assurance and they'd be even more surprised to see a monster hit them for more than the upper limit.
Which would still happen occasionally, when the monster has high mpower or is a non-unique breather with higher than average HP...
Old September 12, 2021, 20:29   #302
Kodiologist
Scout

Kodiologist is on a distinguished road
Is there a limit to how heavily a monster could get buffed in terms of mpower or max HP? If so, it could make sense to calculate a maximum on that basis, since the idea is to show the player the worst case. No doubt some players would notice that the maxima are rarely achieved in practice, fail to take them seriously, and then eventually actually get hit for that much or close to that much, but them's the breaks.
Kodiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2021, 02:01   #303
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiologist View Post
Is there a limit to how heavily a monster could get buffed in terms of mpower or max HP? If so, it could make sense to calculate a maximum on that basis, since the idea is to show the player the worst case. No doubt some players would notice that the maxima are rarely achieved in practice, fail to take them seriously, and then eventually actually get hit for that much or close to that much, but them's the breaks.
In terms of random max HP that would make sense; though practically all major breathers, even the non-unique ones, have fixed max HP in any case.

Mpower, though, can go absurdly high. It's limited only by being a signed 16-bit integer, which means the highest value it can take is 3276.7%. That would mean multiplying many of the maxima (everything not otherwise capped) by 32.767 for display...
Old September 13, 2021, 02:49   #304
Kodiologist
Scout

Kodiologist is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I guess one just has to get used to the fact that a random monster has a small chance of one-shotting you, then. Another reason to play instant-coffee, I guess.
Kodiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2021, 04:54   #305
Sideways
Knight

To be clear, mpower never goes that high in normal play.

All monsters are born with an mpower of 100%, and most of them will stay that way unless hit with unlife or time attacks. The usual case for high mpower is big unlife monsters like Vlad, Izanami, Kaschei or Osiris, who grow in mpower by leeching life from you; but in practice they're very unlikely to ever reach a really exorbitant mpower. (Mostly because they kill you before it happens.)
Old September 15, 2021, 22:30   #306
GrimaTheBold
Apprentice

GrimaTheBold is on a distinguished road
How to Play Nature High-Mage

I'm trying one now - I liked the idea of Nature because it gives you both utility spells and offensive spells (and of course the High-Mage only gets one realm).

But looking at the spell set, I don't see how I can take down rBase monsters, such as Icky Queen or Gelatinous Cubes. Is this a build that needs to rely on melee - pick a hardier race, try to find a good weapon, maybe put some stat gains in STR instead of just INT?

Or is this just a bad idea? Would a Chaos High-Mage be a better combo (more lacking in utility, but better offense)?
GrimaTheBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2021, 16:05   #307
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Apparently, darkness aura is now a thing in vanilla-PCB. Sideways, do you want to add this enemy mechanic in the future? No need to give this to player Ninjas though

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2021, 01:08   #308
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Apparently, darkness aura is now a thing in vanilla-PCB. Sideways, do you want to add this enemy mechanic in the future? No need to give this to player Ninjas though
Isn't darkness aura already a thing? (Both in the sense of monsters surrounded by a radius of darkness, and in the sense of monsters who zap you with the element Dark when you melee them.)
Old September 17, 2021, 02:33   #309
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
I think you're, right, on the former. Any FCPB examples that do the latter?

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2021, 02:43   #310
Sideways
Knight

Tselakus, Ungoliant, Morgoth, Nephthys, Metatron and GWOPs.

Tags
frogcomposband