Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old February 11, 2011, 14:23   #111
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Why can't we enjoy an even fight for the best? Why should we allow everyone to abuse connected stairs? What would happen next, Sauron has no spells, a 1d1 attack and 3 hitpoints? Morgoth has 6 hitpoints, 2 1d1 attacks and a phase door spell? All monsters disappear, except for those that can't move, which are given less hitpoints and more EXP? You are fighting a losing battle DOS350 and I offer you(yet again) a settlement.
I, Philip offer you peace on behalf of the oook community in return for these 3 simple things.
1.Clean up your posts(no eeks, ~, all words normally spelled unless there is a reason not to).
2.Stop insisting that stairscumming is allowed in competitions and don't boast about how far you got.
3.Admit stairscumming on posted characters.
If you do not accept, we will not respect your posts or characters, and threads by you may be ignored. You will be less likely to get help on existing characters, simply because of your post quality.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011, 07:22   #112
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
i, dos350 , suggest u stop crying, ~ee

i have only posted one char and i made it known that i scummed to win , and i dont boast.

i really dont see why people think i want easy game, thats false.

i am wanting freedom to choose, ~ just cos there are stairs, doesnt mean u hav to use them, but the same does not apply with disconnected stairs,

so why dont the "pro anti stair crew" just not use stairs, if they are so dirty, u wouldnt want to, right?

and if they arent dirty enough, please just use them, nobody is judging u, and if they are , they are mentally incorrect and bad people IRL, im not joking, please no rage~!

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011, 09:14   #113
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You are willfully ignoring all the strong and pertinent arguments against using connected stairs in a competition. Unless you choose to actually start responding to the arguments people use, you will get precisely zero traction in this thread.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011, 09:36   #114
dos350
Knight

ok heres my thesis:

stairs are optional
if its not about stair scumming , dont do it, it wont become about stair if u dont do it.
they add an element to the game, scumming~ which can improve your char , quickly.
this would make the competitions more competitive and fun, imo~ because the playstyle would be more extreme~

like~ athletes perform better on drugs, so use them!

please, somebody say u get my drift, it is true , u cannot deny~ please no rage, ee

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old February 12, 2011, 09:53   #115
Philip
Knight

Umm. You are making a comparison to drugs. You mean steroids and stuff? You know that's not allowed in practically any competition, and you have therefore given us something to compare it to. I get your drift, I think that you want everyone to be the best they can, and therefore stairscum, but athletes are not allowed to use drugs because the abilities of the athlete are dependant on the drugs. The athlete is always just as good as the drug he uses. We want to see how good we are, and not how good the drug(stairscumming) is.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:57   #116
dos350
Knight

but i think it should be a comp of pure angband skill, not some holy quest for playing ethically or something, please no rage

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old February 12, 2011, 11:24   #117
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
but i think it should be a comp of pure angband skill, not some holy quest for playing ethically or something, please no rage
Pure angband skill includes ability to play good with any combination of birth options.

There is angband tradition to consider that faster win is better win, and connected stairs in vanilla ruin this, turning fast win attempt into terribly boring stairscumming run.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2011, 11:51   #118
dos350
Knight

u can win faster by stair scumming, and with a better char, imo~ ee

edit

and , connected stair is not only for scum, sometimes u want use stair~ without intention to scum

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
Old February 12, 2011, 12:59   #119
Philip
Knight

We're talking about the competition, so what about a competition about real time, and not turns? We could either have the game note the time elapsed, or something like that. It would be an interesting change. Perhaps something quite hard, like O, or something of similar difficulty.
Old February 12, 2011, 13:55   #120
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
We're talking about the competition, so what about a competition about real time, and not turns? We could either have the game note the time elapsed, or something like that. It would be an interesting change. Perhaps something quite hard, like O, or something of similar difficulty.
It has been done - maybe Cheng, we haven't had one of those yet.