AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 9, 2007, 16:20   #11
Faust
Adept

Faust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven_26d1 View Post
I seem to have overlooked this wordfest of a thread. Or maybe I've just been reading it for the past week!

This was *way* weird at first, and I think I lost a fair bit of hair duiring my first couple of sessions. Once I got used to it (took about two days, but I play for protracted periods a lot of the time, so it may take longer for others) I found it was just plain better.

I honestly believe most people will come to prefer the new shop interface, whether you decide to use the arrow keys or the item letters/numbers. Effectively you have 2 new, fast ways to shop. Its probably just a question of breaking the habits of old!
I must agree it is a much better shopping system, justs takes time to get used to (I've been playing for 14 years and still managed to break the old habits ).

It would be nice if your inventory & equipment were scrollable in the same manner though.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007, 19:00   #12
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
It would be nice if your inventory & equipment were scrollable in the same manner though.
What do you mean? So that you can select from context choices (eg which ! to quaff) with the cursor keys? This would be too slow for me personally, but I can see how others might like it. Odd for such a veteran to want it though, I would have thought it was mainly appealing to newcomers.

I think the highlighted line would be distracting too, I mainly like it in the shop because I sometimes play at a greater distance from the screen these days, with my son asleep (or wriggling distractingly) in my arms - the highlight can be helpful so I don't confuse the prices.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007, 20:40   #13
Nameless
Rookie

Nameless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would have thought it was mainly appealing to newcomers.
That's pretty much the only justification I can see for adding it to the shops, since it doesn't really save you any keypresses. Why should the inventory windows work differently?
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2007, 23:30   #14
Faust
Adept

Quote:
What do you mean? So that you can select from context choices (eg which ! to quaff) with the cursor keys? This would be too slow for me personally, but I can see how others might like it. Odd for such a veteran to want it though, I would have thought it was mainly appealing to newcomers.

I think the highlighted line would be distracting too, I mainly like it in the shop because I sometimes play at a greater distance from the screen these days, with my son asleep (or wriggling distractingly) in my arms - the highlight can be helpful so I don't confuse the prices.
I generally don't use the scrolling (except when I'm feeling indisive), just press the letter. But it's a matter of consitancy & I wasn't referring to general gameplay just selling things in the shop, as buying and selling currently use 2 different systems.

I may have been playing forever, but I wouldn't call myself a veteran, I'm still rubbish.
Old August 10, 2007, 03:21   #15
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is on the bug fixes list (http://dev.rephial.org/trac/ticket/97). Peter Mack (I think) is working on it. I took a quick attempt at changing the inventory lists over to the new menu system a couple nights ago (just for kicks), but never got it near completed.

(I got hackish system working so that the new menus could list your inventory and let you select an item, taking into account any item_tester_okay() restrictions, but don't know enough about how to return a value or index from the menu back into get_item(). Mostly copy & paste & modified from the store.c code. EDIT: might as well post the code I made - though it's really quite terribly WIP: here.)

Last edited by Big Al; August 10, 2007 at 03:27.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2007, 08:23   #16
Daven_26d1
Adept

Quote:
I may have been playing forever, but I wouldn't call myself a veteran, I'm still rubbish.
Even if you are pants at the game, 14 years of experience means that your opinion should count for something when it comes to interface features. Thats really what I was alluding to, you must have seen a lot of different approaches to many things within V.

I bet you're over the moon about floor piles finally being handled well, for instance - I know I am, and I only picked angband up during 2.9.summat I think...
Old August 10, 2007, 10:13   #17
Faust
Adept

Quote:
you must have seen a lot of different approaches to many things within V.

I bet you're over the moon about floor piles finally being handled well, for instance - I know I am, and I only picked angband up during 2.9.summat I think...
When I started playing there was no stacking, 1 item per floor square & wands/staffs only stacked if they had identical charges (which was annoying when your inventory was full as you dropped 1 each time you used 1).

I play with autopickup and then filter the junk once i'm full (If your lucky when you're attacked it's only a piece of junk that gets destroyed), I had a brief look a the menu driven pickup system but I haven't played with it enough to coment.
Old August 10, 2007, 11:33   #18
Daven_26d1
Adept

Quote:
When I started playing there was no stacking, 1 item per floor square & wands/staffs only stacked if they had identical charges (which was annoying when your inventory was full as you dropped 1 each time you used 1).
Yeah, I'm aware of the old stacking issues, a holdover from Moria, I guess. The identical charge thing was only completely removed fairly recently, I'm no stranger to wasting charges so that wands stack.

Quote:
I play with autopickup and then filter the junk once i'm full (If your lucky when you're attacked it's only a piece of junk that gets destroyed), I had a brief look a the menu driven pickup system but I haven't played with it enough to coment.
I'm not keen on autopickup, because it takes time (I think) and I don't like the idea of losing a character because my speed drops by 2 points when I auto-grab a lance or something. ToME has that nice heavy-item prompt, but its not been introduced in V, and I don't see it happening as Andrew's philosophy seems to be to simplify, not complicate. I just use flip-pickup when I deem it desirable, tho conversely, I assume you do this when you need to walk over piles mid-combat.

I'm into my third ironman char in a row now, and my inventory is usually nearly full. I guess it depends what depths you are reaching, for the first 5-10 dlevs it might be more convenient your way. Just seems a bit nethacky to me!
Old August 10, 2007, 11:50   #19
Faust
Adept

Quote:
I'm not keen on autopickup, because it takes time (I think) and I don't like the idea of losing a character because my speed drops by 2 points when I auto-grab a lance or something.
Speed is a problem especially with puny mages. I used to play with prompt for pickup so I'd get a Y/N on everything (this is the one thing I miss), so i'd just go N through everything whilst in battle and come back to them later.
Quote:
ToME has that nice heavy-item prompt
I like the sound of this.
Quote:
I just use flip-pickup when I deem it desirable, tho conversely, I assume you do this when you need to walk over piles mid-combat.
Hadn't thought about this, have to give it a try. I tend to try and bring the enemy to me rather than charging straight at them, so I'm generally either staying still or backing away.

Quote:
I'm into my third ironman char in a row now, and my inventory is usually nearly full.
Ironman's to mental for me (my friend wrote the original berfore it got absorbed into V, I always told him he was mad ).
Old August 10, 2007, 22:46   #20
Daven_26d1
Adept

Ah-ha! After 14 years of play, and still feeling like a poor player, I think we have it!

Sounds to me like you need to stop and think a bit more. You should not be sacrificing tactical advantage over easy input - at least not after this length of time playing. Put up with inconvenience if it means you live longer; you will eventually learn some typing hacks that render it all moot anyway.

Basically, I kind of sense that 14 years without a win irritates you somewhat? I have a queer feelinmg that you don't play at light speed, but that you don't really slow down during critical encounters either. Stop me if I'm wrong.

If I'm not wrong, have you ever tried saving and coming back later when the game gets hairy, instead of tap-tap-tapping frustratedly? Analyse your play for an hour or two; I find this helps pass the time at work/uni/college/boring party and come back later with a strategy (and an eager hunger for the game ) - then try to play that strategy out well with thoughtful tactics. Even if your dude dies, you may find that you learn something profound.

Sorry wholeheartedly if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I have noticed that weaker players tend to save the game religiously in the town, rather than at better moments, like "I'm tired" or "I'm probably gonna die".

I guess a similar point is just to analyse your play more deeply between characters; why did this one die and what could I have done different? I can only think of 1 or 2 chars that I could not have saved if had concentrated more or adopted another tactic.

Hope this doesn't sound too lecture-like, I'm basically trying to help you out.

This is sooo the wrong thread for this pst, too....