Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 20, 2013, 20:02   #11
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I liked to slow mine down. Been a while, but I think I changed base delay to '9', so I guess you would want a '0' or '1'. There might be better ways though.

edit: I think I opened him up in regular style and went to game options to do this, then exited out. Bound to be a better way.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:57   #12
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmarjoo View Post
lol can the borg not dig through rubble? This one is stuck in an infinite loop going back and forth between a rubble blocked hallway and a pack of jackals (which he can easily kill).

It's a lot slower than I remember the borg being; any way to speed it up?
Any way to make it automatically start a new borg game after death?

Thanks.
The borg can't dig through rubble in V3.4, no... it's something someone needs to fix
Old January 21, 2013, 13:51   #13
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
The borg doesn't work in 3.4 (see my post elsewhere) because of the new item cap at 40. It still assumes it can pick 99 items up and gets stuck in an infinite loop.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:08   #14
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
The borg can't dig through rubble in V3.4, no... it's something someone needs to fix
Did you guys need me to take a look at this for you? There are three points where the rubble will need to be examined. First is in borg6.c in borg_play_step(), and in borg_flow_spread(). there are calculations on whether or not the borg might be successful in digging. If he has low strength and low dig skills, he won't even bother trying to dig rubble. The formula are easy to read. The two formulae need to match. The borg_flow_spread() will see if the borg ought to create a pathway walking through the rubble, while the play_step() is the actual movement.

In the case described, the borg needs to alter the formula for borg_play_step(). I would recommend adding a special consideration for the FEAT_RUBBLE. It is typically easier to dig than the seams.

Anotherr spot is in borg_flow_interesting(). It will determine if the rubble is an interesting grid and ought to be explored. If the borg has a hard time digging, then he tends to not consider those things interesting. This area of the code does not solve your bounce, but it does have the formula for determining if the borg should dig up rubble.

As far as the jackals. They are considered scaryguys and the borg will attempt to avoid a fight as much as possible. If the borg is cornered by a jackal, then it will turn to fight, otherwise, he will flee as much as it can.

Whenever you find borgs behaving oddly, send the savefiles to me. I will check them out and make corrections to the code. Remember, though, all the code changes I make are on code 3.2. Those things are easy to port over to the newer versions, but I don't have the software to use the newer versions.

I am happy to help anytime you guys need it. I don't always check the forum. But if you send an email. I will get on it right away. I still work on the borg daily. I just spend most of my time on the zangband borg. Check with me anytime you need, its no trouble at all.

APWhite
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013, 20:47   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
Whenever you find borgs behaving oddly, send the savefiles to me. I will check them out and make corrections to the code. Remember, though, all the code changes I make are on code 3.2. Those things are easy to port over to the newer versions, but I don't have the software to use the newer versions.

I am happy to help anytime you guys need it. I don't always check the forum. But if you send an email. I will get on it right away. I still work on the borg daily. I just spend most of my time on the zangband borg. Check with me anytime you need, its no trouble at all.
Thank you - that's much appreciated.

What we'd really like is to enable you to be able to work on the 3.4 codebase. Can you remind us what's keeping you stuck at 3.2? What did we change?
Old January 25, 2013, 13:43   #16
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, I've fixed borg_play_step() so the borg can dig rubble again and submitted a pull request.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:03   #17
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Thank you - that's much appreciated.

What we'd really like is to enable you to be able to work on the 3.4 codebase. Can you remind us what's keeping you stuck at 3.2? What did we change?
I upgraded to VS2010. It's free. But I still like VS2008 better.

I get a bunch of compiler errors related to main-win.c. Mainly due to macro redefinitions like: AC_SRC_NO_PREMULT_ALPHA. There is no mention of this macro in the wingdi.h that I have. There are several macro errors.

I'd love to get my hands on the entire solution that BluBaron has. I wrote him a note last week or so. He has not yet responded.
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013, 13:36   #18
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
I upgraded to VS2010. It's free. But I still like VS2008 better.

I get a bunch of compiler errors related to main-win.c. Mainly due to macro redefinitions like: AC_SRC_NO_PREMULT_ALPHA. There is no mention of this macro in the wingdi.h that I have. There are several macro errors.

I'd love to get my hands on the entire solution that BluBaron has. I wrote him a note last week or so. He has not yet responded.
I don't know where AC_SRC_NO_PREMULT_ALPHA came from, I suppose it's an error in the code. Alpha blending should be set with AC_SRC_ALPHA, which exists in wingdi.h.
Old February 4, 2013, 23:30   #19
Blue Baron
Adept

Blue Baron is on a distinguished road
I just replied in the other thread, if AC_SRC_NO_PREMULT_ALPHA is in main-win.c, it should not be. It should be AC_SRC_ALPHA. If it is not in main-win.c there are a bunch of other possibilities in the other thread.
Blue Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 01:10   #20
eschiss1
Rookie

eschiss1 is on a distinguished road
Started using Angband 3.4.1 on the Mac and glad to be able to watching a more or less up-to-date version of your Borg again rubble-troubles or no. (It seems to have trouble with somewhat similar issues also that have led it to starve, but I'll have to try to note so that I can be more specific ...)

Unfortunately when I have both Angband-cheat death and borg-cheat death set, after a buffer-filling death by starvation (even after I then try saving and restarting), the first thing that happens with the next-spawned character when I activate the borg is -- cursor-spin-- CRASH. ... Several times now, it seems. (If I turn off borg-cheat death so that the borg starts in town at the same level as at death, this doesn't happen, but ideally I'd rather like to have the borg roll the dice and start a new level-1 character with the older one's monster memory, if possible, as I seem to recall the APWborg used to do some years back if the settings were right. Not sure I do have the settings right; it's been a decade or so... (I gave up when the last borgs I could run kept running into swarmy enemies and dying for lack of interest in area-effect spells, a mistake you fixed very quickly but, well, no Mac-compiled version appeared again until fairly recently, and my attempts to compile it myself failed in ways that taught me how little I knew about programming now! ... anyways.)
Thanks again!!
eschiss1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borg