AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 12, 2013, 10:56   #1
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Sil: first win

Easy mode. Which wasn't so easy.

I spent 10s of games trying a stabber. I got one going once, but he was one of my first characters and I died to some stupidity that was lost to the mists of time. He found a +4 deathblade, without knowing what a great find that was. He was fun. he made me wish I save scummed, just to have a chance to play him again.

That was when I was doing the Smithing affinity high elf, with the 0/2/2/2 starting stats. I don't get smithing, it takes save scumming to understand, or at least forum scumming. So that wasn't helpful.

The 0/2/2/2 starts with the stabber goal never worked for me. So at some point I just devolved to the simplest basher character, who should be able to win (how could they not be able?) and should be strongest in start-game.

Eventually I learned the goodness of Con so I started with the high elf with Will affinity and 0/1/3/2 (if memory serves).

Starting with that guy lowered my starting dex from 5 to 3, and raised my starting Con to 6. Now we're talking. Dex ain't that important in late game, while con certainly is. And you can never replace starting Con as easily as you can replace starting Dex.

Starting skills were 3 melee and 3 evasion. Then save 500 exp to get 7 perception and lore master. Just because easy race start allows for that and damn is it fun and simplifying to have everything identified. Hard races mean NOT investing in that early-game and instead investing in melee/evasion that you would have had otherwise through stats.

First several hundred feet are always chancy with the teeming hordes of orcs (archers are the worst) but at some point you throw enough games at it to get past that part.

I don't think there was any big find that made the difficulty curve flatten suddenly. Just gradual progression. Ability progression was sprinting -> power -> follow through -> opportunist, then a bunch of other stuff that wasn't as important. Eventually I took Exchange Places with hoarded experience, as I often find I need. It's the most "easy mode" skill in the game probably, but I don't like to take it before I need it.

I ended up with 22 melee, 15 evasion, 12 will, 10 perception, and 11 song. I had strength and con from melee and will trees. I had artifact armor that gave 1 con and the artifact amulet too. With con potion i had about 150 hp. I had all the armor bonus abilities too and ended up with about 8-27 protection, if memory serves. I found Glamdring which is +2 melee and +2 evasion with slay of orc, troll, dragon, and rauk. That may have been my best find.

It became easy mode. I was surprised I was unable to kill Morgoth. Maybe I could have, but you know I just wanted to win. I took sharpness song so the silmaril wasn't hard to pry out. I ran out with it. The top level was pretty fun. Made me feel powerful with all the puds to wade through. Nice level design there.

Thanks for the great well thought out game, half and scatha. It's a very impressive effort.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013, 11:06   #2
BlueFish
Swordsman

Oh, I should mention Song of Sharpness. That was a pretty big flattening of the difficulty curve too. Easy to take it for granted when you turn it on before every battle with a troll guard or an ancient serpent but without it you'd appreciate it real quick.
Old June 12, 2013, 15:59   #3
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Oh, I am JEALOUS, but well done.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 05:08   #4
BlueFish
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Oh, I am JEALOUS, but well done.
Thanks Starhawk!

Anybody know if there's a way to protect yourself from falling into a pit while fighting Morgoth? That almost killed me in the throne room. I couldn't figure out why all my melee rolls were halved, and then I couldn't get out of the pit because I was surrounded.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:21   #5
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
You are considered to be in a pit or in a web if you occupy the tile it is on - you cannot 'dodge' a pit or a web. There is also no levitation in this game. Evasion will help you climb out of pits (evasion vs 15 for normal, 20 for spiked according to the manual), but it won't do anything to make them not exist in the first place.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:20   #6
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
While pits can't normally be disarmed, a powerful enough Freedom effect (from the staff with high Will or the song with high Song) can remove them altogether.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 12:21   #7
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
While pits can't normally be disarmed, a powerful enough Freedom effect (from the staff with high Will or the song with high Song) can remove them altogether.
Interesting. Is this true for webs as well?
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 14:36   #8
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Interesting. Is this true for webs as well?
Yes. I often carry a staff of freedom with low strength characters for just this reason.

Webs you can also break free of while staying on the same square (use , or ctrl-5 to interact with your square; it's a strength check, same as for trying to break free normally). We can do this for webs but not pits because when you escape a web the web is gone, but when you escape a pit it's still there.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 15:11   #9
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
Yes. I often carry a staff of freedom with low strength characters for just this reason.

Webs you can also break free of while staying on the same square (use , or ctrl-5 to interact with your square; it's a strength check, same as for trying to break free normally). We can do this for webs but not pits because when you escape a web the web is gone, but when you escape a pit it's still there.
Suddenly Song of Freedom for low-strength, low-stealth characters looks much more attractive. I lost loads of chars while webbed.

@Bluefish: I find it interesting that you value CON so high. I played loads of characters with 4 or 5 CON, my only winner (archer) had only 3, however.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 15:34   #10
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Staves of freedom are really quite handy. My only issue is that I usually find them early, and then they get burned up by the time I'm deep enough to really need them
debo is offline   Reply With Quote