Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2017, 10:22   #91
Quirk
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 93
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the win, Tyrael!

I'm unaware of there ever being any bugs with chardumps (Angband.Live taking about a day to support recognising the new version wasn't an issue on my end), so if you've seen anything please let me know.

I can take a look at your savefile - I assume (sorry, but I have to check) that this was your very first arrival at 900'? Unfortunately most of the things that would let me know what happened would occur in level generation, so I might not be able to determine precisely what happened without the level generation messages, but I might be able to get something out of it.

Non-guaranteed forges in general are generated at wildly varying rates, this is true in Sil 1.3.0 and has not changed. Once I overhaul the level generation I can look into evening this out, but at the moment, the level generator generates a bunch of rooms and vaults, which may or may not contain forges. If you're lucky, you can get 3 or 4 forges on a level at lower depths. On guaranteed levels I set a flag that should force it to generate at least one forge.

The Song of Delvings feedback is really useful, thanks! The way Delvings works at the moment, growing organically out from things you already know, isn't great for finding forges in wide open spaces (i.e. most forges). I might try to put in some hack that makes Delvings spot them more easily. I was initially worried that having a form of Revelations available all the time might be a bit overpowered, but since there's been no rush on Delvings I'll probably power it up further.

I hope you've been enjoying playing the fork, and if you find anything else funky please let me know.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 17:05   #92
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,046
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Might there be value in simply saying "you get 3 forge uses at level 2, 10, 15, etc.", and if you haven't used those forge uses up, then you're guaranteed to spawn a new forge with that many uses on that level? And then do away with non-guaranteed forges altogether.

Then there'd be little angst over false floors on forge levels, not getting the number of uses you're "supposed" to get (whatever is meant by that word), no value in trying to milk the dungeon for additional forges, etc.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 14:30   #93
Tyrael
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7
Tyrael is on a distinguished road
I played a bunch of other games on that same savefile, would it still be useful?
Also I managed to post the chardump by editing the dump manually and eliminating the -Q in Sil-Q at the very top, the ladder couldn't understand that and it gave me problems.

And I sure am enjoying your fork! It's really fun, I remember always trying out smith builds and failing miserably or needing to compile -mpa for quality of life changes and having trouble on non-linux systems, but with the new version I'm having the best of both worlds!

One thing about channeling: it gets really silly when you find staves of recharging (it gets broken when you find more than one and get 30+ effective charges on revelations/treasures and can effectively stairscum 900-950 for really good artifacts) but considering the fact that by the time you find a good staff you're pretty deep into the game and already chose indomitable/hardiness/crit resistance and you're going for Con, the added xp cost might not be worth it unless you're a smith on the lookout for enchanted forges or something, so maybe it's not that big a deal in the end.
Tyrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 18:56   #94
Quirk
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 93
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
I played a bunch of other games on that same savefile, would it still be useful?
Also I managed to post the chardump by editing the dump manually and eliminating the -Q in Sil-Q at the very top, the ladder couldn't understand that and it gave me problems.
Hmm, I guess I should have expected this. I'll see if I can get Sil-Q its own ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
And I sure am enjoying your fork! It's really fun, I remember always trying out smith builds and failing miserably or needing to compile -mpa for quality of life changes and having trouble on non-linux systems, but with the new version I'm having the best of both worlds!
Really glad to hear it! It's feedback like this that keeps me hacking away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
One thing about channeling: it gets really silly when you find staves of recharging (it gets broken when you find more than one and get 30+ effective charges on revelations/treasures and can effectively stairscum 900-950 for really good artifacts) but considering the fact that by the time you find a good staff you're pretty deep into the game and already chose indomitable/hardiness/crit resistance and you're going for Con, the added xp cost might not be worth it unless you're a smith on the lookout for enchanted forges or something, so maybe it's not that big a deal in the end.
Channeling is not really an early game skill, for all it's so low on the tree. I think you're right that situationally it can be really very powerful - but you need to be pretty lucky. And a skill has to be pretty strong to find a place on the Will tree, much as is the case with the Perception tree. Critical Resistance is a tough competitor...
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 19:54   #95
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,046
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk View Post
Hmm, I guess I should have expected this. I'll see if I can get Sil-Q its own ladder.
Contact Pav, they can set it up for you.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017, 22:01   #96
Quirk
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 93
Quirk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
I played a bunch of other games on that same savefile, would it still be useful?
Oh, I forgot to reply to this. I experimented a good bit the other morning and managed to reproduce it - it should be fixed in the just released bugfix release (along with various other entertaining failures).
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YASD: saving in bad state Pete Mack AAR 3 June 15, 2017 08:04
The state of things Apostlyte Vanilla 24 June 6, 2017 12:05
v4 update Magnate v4 10 December 13, 2011 14:40
State of Angband master branch d_m Development 80 November 26, 2010 15:14
State of code ewert Development 2 August 4, 2010 16:08


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.