Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old June 29, 2009, 21:03   #11
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Iain M. Banks, Use of Weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheradenine Zakalwe
Any lousy species ever invents the telescope and the spectroscope and starts looking in between the stars, what do they find? Loads of stuff, but much of it is alcohol. Humanoids are the galaxy's way of trying to get rid of all that alcohol.
Yeah... Zakalwe is... interesting.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2009, 22:48   #12
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Iain M. Banks, Use of Weapons.
Yes. I recently reread Against a Dark Background.
Old June 29, 2009, 23:24   #13
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron View Post
I recently re-read the Cryptonomicon.
I loved that one. After that I read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Similar style (essay married to fiction) but a tad inaccessible, and requires some stamina. Day-after-tomorrow dystopic type stuff. Probably my all time favorite piece of pop fiction. IMO we'll be reading it as literature in 20 years.
Old June 30, 2009, 04:16   #14
Flee
Scout

Flee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
Have you tried Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series? Its really huge but I think its great. Also CS Friedman Coldfire Trilogy is awsome.
i have seen the wheel of time series in the shop but never got round to picking up a copy. you seem to like the same sort of stuff as me so i will go add them to my collection.
(i hope you know what all that means... im not sure i do!?!?)
Flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 04:33   #15
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee View Post
i have seen the wheel of time series in the shop but never got round to picking up a copy. you seem to like the same sort of stuff as me so i will go add them to my collection.
Despite what you may read online, Robert Jordan is consistently good so long as you know from the outset you're in for an endurance test. A lot of the reviews are stacked with people pissed off because it's a never ending story (well, I guess it's supposed to end "soon"). And it doesn't hurt to skip parts...

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a *band based on Wheel of Time.
Old June 30, 2009, 04:44   #16
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I liked the Wheel of Time, but have forgotten most of the details because I read them a few years ago (I think only the first 8 had been published). Not sure I can slog through them again to catch up enough to read the last few books. Any word on how the fill-in author is doing?

The last sci-fi/fantasy author I discovered was Tad Williams. The Otherland series is excellent,and I also enjoyed the more high-fantasy work he's done.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 05:17   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
Despite what you may read online, Robert Jordan is consistently good so long as you know from the outset you're in for an endurance test. A lot of the reviews are stacked with people pissed off because it's a never ending story (well, I guess it's supposed to end "soon"). And it doesn't hurt to skip parts...

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty surprised there isn't a *band based on Wheel of Time.
I gave up reading that a long time ago--it got tedious after the first 3 volumes. A 'band based on wheel of time would have to be bigger than ToME with 255 levels.

I enjoy CS Friedman much more, though I think that In Conquest Born was by far her best. (Her recent series, _Feast of Souls_, is good (and very dark.)) So is Kate Elliot's current series. So is GRR Martin's...
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 08:33   #18
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Jonker View Post
.... (well, I guess it's supposed to end "soon"). And it doesn't hurt to skip parts...
Or maybe just in for good old-fashioned 1920's-era writing.

Skimming the link: why the fear of ~750,000 words in one novel? Both Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead (Ayn Rand novels) checked in over that --with about two-thirds of each novel cut prior to publication. (Arguably, both have reasonable sectioning into smaller novels (three and four respectively) -- but in both cases the sectioned versions are pretty much uninterpretable.)
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 19:18   #19
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
Or maybe just in for good old-fashioned 1920's-era writing.

Skimming the link: why the fear of ~750,000 words in one novel? Both Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead (Ayn Rand novels) checked in over that --with about two-thirds of each novel cut prior to publication. (Arguably, both have reasonable sectioning into smaller novels (three and four respectively) -- but in both cases the sectioned versions are pretty much uninterpretable.)
750k would still be a brutally long novel (longer by 100k than the ayn rand books- which were not quick reads either. If the characters in Wheel of Time gave 20 page speeches on morality I'd not have made it through the books I did). Still, splitting into 2 novels rather than 3 would effectively deal with the length, although it is probably nice for the new author to have a 3-book arc to work with when taking over someone else's franchise.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 22:37   #20
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
For context, my favorite author is Iain M. Banks. I couldn't get into Robert Jordan. I loved the start of George RR Martin's ASoIaF, but couldn't even finish the last one. If you like people fighting wars in fantasy milieus, Glen Cook and Steven Erikson do it better.

For good recent reads, two series starters I think, _Snake Agent_ by Liz Williams and _The Looking Glass Wars_ by Frank Beddor.

Last Xmas, I gave _Soon I Will Be Invincible_ by Austin Grossman, and _Revenge of the Witch_ by Joseph Delaney.

I am just starting _The Brain That Changes Itself_ by Norman Doidge, non-fiction, about how thoughts and actions change physical structures in the brain.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote