Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old June 30, 2009, 22:50   #21
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate Send a message via Skype™ to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
For context, my favorite author is Iain M. Banks. I couldn't get into Robert Jordan. I loved the start of George RR Martin's ASoIaF, but couldn't even finish the last one. If you like people fighting wars in fantasy milieus, Glen Cook and Steven Erikson do it better.

For good recent reads, two series starters I think, _Snake Agent_ by Liz Williams and _The Looking Glass Wars_ by Frank Beddor.

Last Xmas, I gave _Soon I Will Be Invincible_ by Austin Grossman, and _Revenge of the Witch_ by Joseph Delaney.

I am just starting _The Brain That Changes Itself_ by Norman Doidge, non-fiction, about how thoughts and actions change physical structures in the brain.
Banks is my favourite too, yet I had the exact opposite problem: I gave up after four very good Eriksons - the fifth was tedious and the sixth unreadable. Yet I'm still going strong with GRRM and loving the whole thing.

Must look up Glen Cook. Read a good series by Hugh Cook a long time ago, but suspect it's not the same ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009, 23:32   #22
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Banks is my favourite too, yet I had the exact opposite problem: I gave up after four very good Eriksons - the fifth was tedious and the sixth unreadable. Yet I'm still going strong with GRRM and loving the whole thing.
Uh-oh. I've only read the first 4 Eriksons.

Glen Cook has written a lot of stuff. He has a "let's put Nero Wolfe [more importantly Archie Goodwin] into a fantasy setting" series with titles <adjective> <metal> <noun> which is fluff and still ongoing. My favorite of his is the Black Company series. I couldn't get into his most recent stuff due to infodumps. He wrote a very good space opera _The Dragon Never Sleeps_ which is not fantasy despite the title.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009, 05:15   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I second you on _Snake Agent_--it's quite a fun read. But right now I'm reading more non-fiction.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2009, 00:43   #24
Jude
Adept

Jude is on a distinguished road
I need to check out that book in the first post.

I've been reading Evil Genes by Barbara Oakley (about neuroscience of antisocial and borderline personality disorders, among other things), The Red Queen by Matt Ridley (evolutionary bio, evolution of sex, sex differences in mammals), A Primate's Memoir (about a guy studying baboons in Kenya and his adventures trekking all over Africa), and Persepolis (graphic novel memoir of a girl growing up in Iran and Europe)
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2009, 10:07   #25
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Brandon Sanderson is the guy who was picked for finishing up Wheel of Time. So I went and picked up his Mistborn trilogy to check up on him, and all I can say is: read it. Brilliant setting, excellent trilogy story arc and while somewhat cliche character archetypes can't be avoided (especially due to the magic system of the world), makes excellent use of them. Now if he had Scott Lynch's verbal acrobatics ...

Which brings me to Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora (damn that just rolls off the tongue doesn't it?!) was a breath of fresh air and IMHO absolutely brilliant, even discounting the fact that it was the debut novel for him (taking that into account it was OH-MY-GOD-AWESOME brilliant). Tired of the scum of earth talking like the good ol' father at your church of choice? Fear no more, Scott Lynch is here to tear you a new vocabular **sehole. The 2nd of the series Red Seas under Red Skies was a good book too, maybe not as stellar than the first one, but a good book nonetheless. Will definitely keep following his work.

Then there is of course Robin Hobb if someone has missed her totally, the Assassin, Ship and Fool trilogies (same world, though I myself skipped the Ship trilogy for last and you don't miss much, I couldn't wait to get back to finding out what happens to the characters of the Assassin trilogy so... ) were excellent. Soldier's Son trilogy was also excellent.

Well, anyways check out Sanderson and Lynch, they both brought atleast myself a very very refreshing breath of fresh air in their styles of writing and world creation skill.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2009, 18:33   #26
nobody
Apprentice

nobody is on a distinguished road
anyone have a goodreads account? it's a great time, i'd reccomend anyone who reads get one, and look me up, www.goodreads.com/nobodyreads you can track what you're reading, what you've read, and what you're planning to read
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2009, 21:06   #27
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Then there is of course Robin Hobb if someone has missed her totally, the Assassin, Ship and Fool trilogies (same world, though I myself skipped the Ship trilogy for last and you don't miss much, I couldn't wait to get back to finding out what happens to the characters of the Assassin trilogy so... ) were excellent. Soldier's Son trilogy was also excellent.
Excellent series (Assassin).

Also Armor by John Steakley is AWESOME. One of my all time favorites.

Renshai series by Mickey Zucker Reichert is also very good.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2009, 22:46   #28
JohnCW9
Adept

JohnCW9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewert View Post
Then there is of course Robin Hobb if someone has missed her totally, the Assassin, Ship and Fool trilogies (same world, though I myself skipped the Ship trilogy for last and you don't miss much, I couldn't wait to get back to finding out what happens to the characters of the Assassin trilogy so... ) were excellent. .
I enjoyed those books

John
JohnCW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2009, 22:15   #29
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
By the way, Sanderson's Warbreaker book is available for free pdf download from his website. Read it in a day myself, pretty good book so was hooked and read till 5am etc., and hey it is free, so read it and see for yourself if you like Sanderson's style. It is a standalone novel too.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2009, 19:10   #30
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Just finished a book about a plain gold ring with powerful magic including the power to turn the wearer invisible. ..and it was written before anything Tolkien wrote.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote