Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 8, 2009, 07:54   #31
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
My sister told me to read _Goblin Quest_, and while it doesn't count as a good book for the purposes of this thread I feel it deserves a mention. It's about a goblin who gets shanghaied by a group of adventurers. It is very D&D.

The goblin notices that in the fight where all his goblin compatriots were killed, the wizard didn't cast any spells. Instead, he stayed back shooting arrows to save his spells for later.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2009, 15:18   #32
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The goblin notices that in the fight where all his goblin compatriots were killed, the wizard didn't cast any spells. Instead, he stayed back shooting arrows to save his spells for later.
Ironically, the wizard's previous companions failed to notice the exact same behavior.
Old October 19, 2017, 00:59   #33
Mars
Scout

Mars is on a distinguished road
I just finished 'Seveneves' by Neal Stephenson. Pretty cool SF story about the moon blowing up by some unknown phenomenon, and humankind's desperate struggle to survive the consequences of the remains of the moon crashing into earth. While it does get a bit uhh.. 'technical' at times, (which may not be a bad thing for the explored SF concepts, but also cause it to be a quite a bit to chew at times), it's still a good read.

Also been reading some books by Haruki Murakami. Very good, would recommend, especially the 'Wind up bird chronicles'. Probably best described as magical realism?. If 'wind up bird chronicles' appears too intimidating, maybe try something shorter first, like 'After Dark', to see if you like his style. Might also give you a feel if the translation is any good (unless you can read the original Japanese ).
Old October 19, 2017, 02:10   #34
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I just finished 'Seveneves' by Neal Stephenson. Pretty cool SF story about the moon blowing up by some unknown phenomenon, and humankind's desperate struggle to survive the consequences of the remains of the moon crashing into earth. While it does get a bit uhh.. 'technical' at times, (which may not be a bad thing for the explored SF concepts, but also cause it to be a quite a bit to chew at times), it's still a good read.

Also been reading some books by Haruki Murakami. Very good, would recommend, especially the 'Wind up bird chronicles'. Probably best described as magical realism?. If 'wind up bird chronicles' appears too intimidating, maybe try something shorter first, like 'After Dark', to see if you like his style. Might also give you a feel if the translation is any good (unless you can read the original Japanese ).
I really liked Seveneves, especially the first parts which were spectacular. Neal Stephenson is awesome- my favorite is probably Cryptonomicon.

My lastest book was "How to tame a fox and build a dog" by Dugatkin and Trut. It's a popular science book about one of the longest-running science experiments- cool if you want to know about what it was like to do science in cold-war USSR, or if you are interested in evolution or animal behavior.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote